Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 914 tail lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteelerMike77
Please help... just got a 74 914, need to replace rear tail bulbs. Seems a little extensive just looking at It! Can’t find any vids.
How do I get into the light to get to the bulbs?
Please help!
rhodyguy
Remove the white knobs on the rear of the housings. Inside the trunk. Gently Push on the thread studs and work the lenses off. Gently, gently, gently... buy a Haynes manual.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 13 2019, 01:40 PM) *

Remove the white knobs on the rear of the housings. Inside the trunk. Gently Push on the thread studs and work the lenses off. Gently, gently, gently... buy a Haynes manual.

Remove the lenses from the outside of the vehicle?, not inside the trunk, because my trunk latch brackets go over the housing.
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
porschetub
From the inside,don't over tighten lenses when you refit them they will break/crack if too tight,good luck.
Dave_Darling
There are both single-filament and dual-filament bulbs in the housing. Don't mix them up! If you do, your car will be mostly normal, and then it will do Very Strange Things ™ seemingly at random.

For instance, it might keep running when you turn the key off, but only if your turn signal is on.

... don't ask how I know that one ...

--DD
1adam12
Just replaced my standard filament rear bulbs with led versions from superbrightleds.com . Went with the 36 smd bulbs and it made a huge difference in brightness of course. Affordable pricing and easy to use website.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 13 2019, 02:14 PM) *

From the inside,don't over tighten lenses when you refit them they will break/crack if too tight,good luck.

That worked perfectly! Thanks again! Will definitely be getting a Haynes manual!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Feb 13 2019, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 13 2019, 02:14 PM) *

That worked perfectly! Thanks again! Will definitely be getting a Haynes manual!

I’ve found the Haynes manual very helpful. I rewired my teener when I bought it a couple weeks ago because everything was hooked up all wrong and almost all bulbs were blown. I did also replace all the light lenses around the car which was a bit pricey but it looks great. Next piece of business is upgrading the fuse panel and of course sorting out my clutch issues.
abes914
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Feb 13 2019, 11:25 AM) *

Just replaced my standard filament rear bulbs with led versions from superbrightleds.com . Went with the 36 smd bulbs and it made a huge difference in brightness of course. Affordable pricing and easy to use website.

I tried the LED from superbrightleds.com and thought it was OK. Best investment for me is spoke's LED. He is a member here.

His website is https://www.spokeworksled.com/914-led-solutions
lierofox
My LED lights are all over the place.

I went with 2357 Zevo bulbs for the brake lights.

SuperBright 1156-NW27-T bulbs for the reverse lights.

For the rear corner markers I snagged these from amazon after my Superbright BA9S bulbs started to go downhill.

Rear and front turn signals were Red and Amber 1156/1157 versions of this bulb

At this point the only incandescent bulbs left are most of the gauges.
GeorgeRud
I think you need to leave the generator warning light as an incandescent bulb, but everything else can be converted to led bulbs. It’d good to be as visible as possible and I keep wondering if a led conversion for the fog lights wouldn’t make them great daytime running lights (as they’re pretty marginal as fog lights).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.