Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteelerMike77
I just got a 74 914 from Oregon, I live in Pa. I replaced all of the fuses, everything works great, EXCEPT for the wipers, they won’t budge. I was told motor is new... ANY ideas on what might be the problem?
Thanks
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Feb 13 2019, 02:52 PM) *

I just got a 74 914 from Oregon, I live in Pa. I replaced all of the fuses, everything works great, EXCEPT for the wipers, they won’t budge. I was told motor is new... ANY ideas on what might be the problem?
Thanks

Just went thru this myself. Forget the circuit number for the wipers, check your wiring diagram, but make sure you have power on it WHEN THE KEY is in the On position. Check to see if the fresh air blower motor works at the same time. The cig lighter is on the same circuit IIRC. If no power it is the relay or it's, as in my case, not making good contact within the molded receptable. Just carefully splay out the male pins on the relay to enlarge the diameter. Relay is behind the fuse panel. Trust this helps.

Don't remove the fresh air blower box to get at the leads for the wiper motor unless you absolutely have to. Putting it back together is one of the most frustrating projects to tackle on a 914. Took me two days !! Potential damage to items to high. Also ego will be hurt.

porschetub
I found bad contacts in my switch ,they weren't worn but really dirty,cleaned them up and all was good further work will be a boxster drive motor as my motor is rather slow even by 1973 standards.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Feb 13 2019, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Feb 13 2019, 02:52 PM) *

Thanks

Just went thru this myself. Forget the circuit number for the wipers, check your wiring diagram, but make sure you have power on it WHEN THE KEY is in the On position. Check to see if the fresh air blower motor works at the same time. The cig lighter is on the same circuit IIRC. If no power it is the relay or it's, as in my case, not making good contact within the molded receptable. Just carefully splay out the male pins on the relay to enlarge the diameter. Relay is behind the fuse panel. Trust this helps.

Don't remove the fresh air blower box to get at the leads for the wiper motor unless you absolutely have to. Putting it back together is one of the most frustrating projects to tackle on a 914. Took me two days !! Potential damage to items to high. Also ego will be hurt.

Thanks SO MUCH! My lighter, and blower BOTH work...should I still try and work the relay? I was told the wipers worked when it was loaded on the transport.
Believe me I DO NOT want to have to tackle a motor replacement if not necessary!
Thanks again.
ClayPerrine
You also need to check to see if the shafts are seized inside the wiper rack. The shafts run up the middle of the mounting points, and water gathers in the bottom of the cowl panel. The shafts will often rust and seize.

You will have to pull the gas tank and the fresh air blower to remove the wiper rack. Big PITA, but then you can check the whole wiper assembly out of the car. You can also disassemble it and free up the shafts.

It also gives you the chance to replace the fuel lines under the tank. They often get overlooked and need to be checked regularly.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 14 2019, 09:42 AM) *

You also need to check to see if the shafts are seized inside the wiper rack. The shafts run up the middle of the mounting points, and water gathers in the bottom of the cowl panel. The shafts will often rust and seize.

You will have to pull the gas tank and the fresh air blower to remove the wiper rack. Big PITA, but then you can check the whole wiper assembly out of the car. You can also disassemble it and free up the shafts.

It also gives you the chance to replace the fuel lines under the tank. They often get overlooked and need to be checked regularly.

agree.gif You could also try taking the wiper arms off and the hardware that holds the assembly in place and add some drops of a good penetrating oil and see if you can work the assembly loose. I did that with my old 70. It took a few days of soaking and working the oil in but they finally started to move. Once a year I would do this and never had anymore issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.