Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Frustration!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Does anyone have info or photos on the correct placement of the fuel tank pads for the tank to be positioned correctly.

My shop is having trouble seating the tank low enough for a correct installation. How much lower do the bumper pads need to be to make this work and what is the best way to install them? Here are some pics of how it sits presently. Advice is appreciated!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Larmo63
All I can suggest is that it is a balance/wiggle act to get it in there right.

Are you sure they have the rubbers in correctly?

Nothing worse than an ill fitting rubber.
DaveO90s4
Looks to me like your rubbers are not in place properly, preventing your unit from going all the way home - so to speak.
sb914
use Tape at the top of the rubber to hold it in place,then remove tape once the tanks in place. The rubber sits about 1 inch from the top !
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Hold the pads in place with tape. I marked the tank to show the pads upper edge. Also, when I have a helper lowering the tank, it's easier to make those micro adjustments.
BIGKAT_83
Rubbers need to be higher up this will lower the tank. I tape them on and then remove the tape after installing the tank.
mepstein
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 15 2019, 09:16 AM) *

Rubbers need to be higher up this will lower the tank. I tape them on and then remove the tape after installing the tank.

Same here. Some painters tape will do the job.
whitetwinturbo
..... am I the only one thinking of all the wise-guy jokes available on this thread chair.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 15 2019, 08:49 AM) *

..... am I the only one thinking of all the wise-guy jokes available on this thread chair.gif

I don't think so, Larmo already went there with "Nothing worse than an ill fitting rubber."

The jokes can go on for days................but I've got serious fuel tank frustrations so I'm not in the mood.

beer3.gif
914_7T3
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I will take the above suggestions and try to get that sorted and provide an update.

beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Your lucky day. My tank is out and I’m in the garage. I used a plumber’s rubber and some gorilla tape. My tank is LineX’ed so it’s a bit thicker

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 15 2019, 04:05 AM) *

use Tape at the top of the rubber to hold it in place,then remove tape once the tanks in place. The rubber sits about 1 inch from the top !

@sb914 an inch from the top of the smooth edge of the tank itself or the top of the edge that slots into the groove of the pad?

confused24.gif
76-914
Bob nailed it. Lift up on the tank enough to free it then lift the rubber mount a bit. Do this to both sides. The idea is to let the tank and rubber mount slide into place together. There is really only one place they will sit properly. beerchug.gif
rjames
In addition to getting the rubber bits in the right spot, make sure the fuel hoses underneath aren't getting in the way.

Getting the tank in the right spot should be an easy thing to do.
ValcoOscar
Late to the party but it seems like you know what to do now.
I'm not touching any rubber rubber jokes.

Please let us know if you succeed.

Oscar

sb914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 15 2019, 12:14 PM) *

@sb914 an inch from the top of the smooth edge of the tank itself or the top of the edge that slots into the groove of the pad?

confused24.gif

Here’s where mine sits. It’s about a inch from the top of the shock tower.
It’s also a good idea to lengthen the fuel line for future removal. Makes it way easier with the extra length of hose . Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 15 2019, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 15 2019, 12:14 PM) *

confused24.gif

Here’s where mine sits. It’s about a inch from the top of the shock tower.
It’s also a good idea to lengthen the fuel line for future removal. Makes it way easier with the extra length of hose . Click to view attachment

Perfect, this is super helpful! The fuel lines were left longer for removal and a spring was inserted so it doesn't kink. Thank you for taking the time to photograph.

smile.gif
Blue6
Now that this got straightened out, I’ll piggy back on this thread. My rubber isn’t fitting correctly either. I know posts are useless without pics. Anyone want a pic. biggrin.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 15 2019, 05:18 PM) *

Now that this got straightened out, I’ll piggy back on this thread. My rubber isn’t fitting correctly either. I know posts are useless without pics. Anyone want a pic. biggrin.gif

Show us what you got!
ndfrigi
well I already sent this pic to Jeffery thru text last night.
But I will just share it also here. From my previous 75 1.8FI and yes original color was copper metallic and was painted to blue by previous owner. I replaced the expansion tank to fuel tank seal a day before new owner pick-up the car.

Click to view attachment
Blue6
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 15 2019, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 15 2019, 05:18 PM) *

Show us what you got!

I’ve got to get with SirAndy. Can’t figure out how to resize this whopper to make it fit the format. smile.gif
mlindner
Since this thread has already been hi-jacked from rubbers to whoopers, I'll add this. Guess what I'm going to use for a gas tank/fuel cell. Best, markClick to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 16 2019, 10:37 AM) *

Since this thread has already been hi-jacked from rubbers to whoopers, I'll add this. Guess what I'm going to use for a gas tank/fuel cell. Best, markClick to view attachment

That’s interesting.
rhodyguy
What do the 2 screws on the tops of the wheelwells do?
mlindner
Good eye rhodyguy......I made fender liners for under the GT fenders, so a few fasteners had to show, will paint later. Mark
914_7T3
So it turns out the fuel tank was sitting fine and the expansion tank is the culprit. It literally "Expanded" during powder coating.

WTF.gif

No wonder it would not fit.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Maybe they put a plug on the ends to keep the powder out and the hot air blew it up. At least it's an easy part to replace.
sb914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 18 2019, 07:36 PM) *

So it turns out the fuel tank was sitting fine and the expansion tank is the culprit. It literally "Expanded" during powder coating.

WTF.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I think I might have one . If you want it it’s yours, I’ll look later if you want it .
marksteinhilber
Just draw a vacuum on it and suck it back down to the right shape...

On the rubbers, just use some lube. it lets things slide into position and you can feel when they fit best. I never tape my rubbers on. Not fun when there's too much friction either. Sometimes the carpet landing strips may be too thick and it wont drop in all the way....
914_7T3
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 19 2019, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 18 2019, 07:36 PM) *

WTF.gif

I think I might have one . If you want it it’s yours, I’ll look later if you want it .

Thanks @sb914 Picking up another expansion tank today nearby so probably will not need, but will reach out if this one looks wonky.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
pads should be a bit lower, and maybe use some silicone grease
burton73
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 19 2019, 10:29 AM) *

On the rubbers, just use some lube. it lets things slide into position and you can feel when they fit best. I never tape my rubbers on. Not fun when there's too much friction either. Sometimes the carpet landing strips may be too thick and it wont drop in all the way....

Jeffrey,

I have a high vacuum pump if you want to bring it to the shop and give it a try.

Bob B
wacko.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 19 2019, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Feb 19 2019, 10:29 AM) *

Jeffrey,

I have a high vacuum pump if you want to bring it to the shop and give it a try.

Bob B
wacko.gif

Totally, I have a temporary that I picked up today, just to keep things moving and mine has been PC'd already so its worth a shot!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.