914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Gotta love Mothers polish.
aharder
agree.gif Nice Work Mark !!
Freezin 914
Dang! Very, very nice!
wes
Looking new! It’s sometimes the simplest of things that make a car look fantastic.
sithot
Fine work, indeed!
914Sixer
Forgot to mention the elbow grease required. poke.gif
sithot
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 16 2019, 04:45 PM) *

Forgot to mention the elbow grease required. poke.gif

No doubt about it. I'm headed to Advance or Auto Zone. agree.gif

I used to polish vintage BMW rims and can't begin to tell you how dirty that can be. You wear as much rouge as you put on them.
Finally found a "friend" who owned a commercial polishing business. He did them faster and cleaner than I could so I was more that happy to pay him for his efforts.
mepstein
I do hit the pieces with a $40 harbor freight bench buffer before I get the nooks and crannies by hand. Saves a bunch of time and I’m lazy.
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 05:27 PM) *

I do hit the pieces with a $40 harbor freight bench buffer before I get the nooks and crannies by hand. Saves a bunch of time and I’m lazy.

I'd call that smart. beerchug.gif
cpavlenko
Nice job, looks great. drooley.gif
Unobtanium-inc
The ingredient many people forget to get that kind of shine is elbow grease, it takes work to make old parts look good, but it can be done.
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 16 2019, 06:41 PM) *

The ingredient many people forget to get that kind of shine is elbow grease, it takes work to make old parts look good, but it can be done.

It”s satisfying to restore an old part. They are usually made better than the new ones.
mepstein

It”s satisfying to restore an old part. They are usually made better than the new ones.

Some take more work than other. biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 04:17 PM) *

They are almost always better then a new part. Remember Porsches were not cheap cars, so the parts usually weren't shit, so almost anything can be restored.
Jamie
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 16 2019, 04:50 PM) *

They are almost always better then a new part. Remember Porsches were not cheap cars, so the parts usually weren't shit, so almost anything can be restored.

Of course power buffing only works on pieces that are dirty, not corroded or lightly plated and pitted. hissyfit.gif .
mepstein
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 16 2019, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 16 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Of course power buffing only works on pieces that are dirty, not corroded or lightly plated and pitted. hissyfit.gif .

agree.gif each part needs its own process. I cheat on a lot of stuff and just blast and powdercoat. I like the look but it’s obviously not right if you have to have the oem finish.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 07:17 PM) *

Did that crankshaft survive ?
Toothed belts ?
remind me, it's a 300cc V twin ?....from italy of course.
Beautiful.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2019, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 07:17 PM) *

Did that crankshaft survive ?
Toothed belts ?
remind me, it's a 300cc V twin ?....from italy of course.
Beautiful.

‘74 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport. The 911RS of the Morini world.
I got luck. My engine builder found a guy with a bottom end for $200. It had a good crank and a lot of other missing parts. The seller was near where you live Rory. We bored the cylinders out to 375 since they were too pitted to use as is. I found a nos sport camshaft for pennies which was a find since they are like gold. Now working on bike #2.
Bazza
Thanks for the inspiration!

I first used Mothers on some dingy wheel rims....really worked great but yeah......a bit of elbow grease also involved!
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 17 2019, 08:58 AM) *

‘74 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport. The 911RS of the Morini world.
I got luck. My engine builder found a guy with a bottom end for $200. It had a good crank and a lot of other missing parts. The seller was near where you live Rory. We bored the cylinders out to 375 since they were too pitted to use as is. I found a nos sport camshaft for pennies which was a find since they are like gold. Now working on bike #2.

A great under-appreciated bike!

Speaking of "Mothers" here is a full custom BMW that was shown at Amelia Island a few years ago. To say he went overboard polishing it is an understatement!

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 12:32 PM) *

Gotta love Mothers polish.

Yours look great!
When I tried I put the stuff on the part and came back a day later and it still wasn't shiny. You must have hidden talent.
Tdskip
On the buffer I assume you are using the cloth wheel?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 18 2019, 10:05 AM) *

On the buffer I assume you are using the cloth wheel?

Yes.
I’ve gotten my money’s worth many times over with the buffer.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 02:27 PM) *

Did you try the rouge I sent you on that buffer?

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 19 2019, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2019, 02:27 PM) *

Did you try the rouge I sent you on that buffer?

Bob B

Not yet. It’s siting on the bench. I meant to ask you what is what. I can send a pic if it helps.

rgalla9146

Great for polishing ?
Comes in various grades ( 4 ?) from fine to course.
Steel wool.
mepstein
Aluminum foil and water to polish chrome. Who would have guessed?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.