Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 barn find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rod street
I have just found a 914-6 that has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years. I am going back this weekend to look at it again and try to verity the vin and engine numbers. I was told by the owner that the car has a 911 S engine in it and is not a matching number car. This is something I will have to do research on when I find the serial numbers.
So if the car checks out and it is a real 914-6 and the engine is not the original how does that hurt the value of the car. And if it is a 911 S engine it seems to me the engine alone is worth a healthy amount.
Since it has been sitting for 20 years would that indicate that it would need a total rebuild? I believe the cost to rebuild such an engine would be very costly.
Any advise would be appreciated.
sithot
QUOTE(rod street @ Feb 17 2019, 11:46 PM) *

I have just found a 914-6 that has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years. I am going back this weekend to look at it again and try to verity the vin and engine numbers. I was told by the owner that the car has a 911 S engine in it and is not a matching number car. This is something I will have to do research on when I find the serial numbers.
So if the car checks out and it is a real 914-6 and the engine is not the original how does that hurt the value of the car. And if it is a 911 S engine it seems to me the engine alone is worth a healthy amount.
Since it has been sitting for 20 years would that indicate that it would need a total rebuild? I believe the cost to rebuild such an engine would be very costly.

I won't touch rusty anything. I'll buy a car with "windows in the case" and rods hanging in them before I'd tackle a rusty $@#&box. The restoration of the body of a Porsche can easily outpace the mechanicals from a cost standpoint.

My advice has always been "find the best body" you can and worry about the mechanicals later. Engines aren't cheap as you have surmised. Set aside $20K to be in the "ballpark" of what it's going to ultimately cost.

Don't restore anything that won't be worth more than the sum of money you put into it. Most restorations end upside down.
When I was restoring vintage BMW's most would pass over the "singles" (R25/R27) because it took just as much money to restore one as a twin and the upside wasn't there.

Good luck!
Racer
Mismatched car/engine.. well.. if you want a 100% car, it will hurt value. If you want a "hot rod" or a "fun driver" then it doesn't hurt at all. A 180-200hp 911S motor is a lot more "fun" than a 110hp engine.

make sure its a genuine 6 first. Then figure out what you want from it and what your plans would be if it was yours.. Then either be irrational/spontaneous or break out the spreadsheets and be rational.

As mentioned above.. some folks love mechanical challenges.. others metalwork challenges. Depending on how it was stored, could be as simple as new lines (brake, fuel), flush the tank, rebuild/clean out the carbs and enjoy. If rust is prevalent, than there will be more to do.

Share some pics and what you find out!
sithot
QUOTE(Racer @ Feb 18 2019, 07:40 AM) *

Mismatched car/engine.. well.. if you want a 100% car, it will hurt value. If you want a "hot rod" or a "fun driver" then it doesn't hurt at all. A 180-200hp 911S motor is a lot more "fun" than a 110hp engine.

make sure its a genuine 6 first. Then figure out what you want from it and what your plans would be if it was yours.. Then either be irrational/spontaneous or break out the spreadsheets and be rational.

As mentioned above.. some folks love mechanical challenges.. others metalwork challenges. Depending on how it was stored, could be as simple as new lines (brake, fuel), flush the tank, rebuild/clean out the carbs and enjoy. If rust is prevalent, than there will be more to do.

Share some pics and what you find out!

agree.gif

Cool heads prevail!
larryM
QUOTE(rod street @ Feb 17 2019, 08:46 PM) *

I have just found a 914-6 that has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years.

you may have just won the lottery!

or -

this is just a spoof trying to sucker one of this group into tossing $$$$$$$ your way for the secret location?
larryM
spoof or just spam - ?????????

QUOTE(rod street @ Feb 17 2019, 09:46 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.