Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When was the first time you saw a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mark Henry
For me mid-70's, I'm walking home from high school, this /6 with GT flair and the car was a rat rod in grey primer, it was on my home town main drag and the guy was honking on it. I actually didn't know it was a 914 till I saw a 914 with GT flairs up close a few years later.

It was pure sex, I was 13-14yrs/old, I probably went home and spanked one off to a car. av-943.gif
mepstein
A black one parked on the street because my neighbor was having a big party. Mid 70’s so I was probably 9 or 10. Seared into my brain and never went away. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Early seventies: a green 914 was being chased by the cops through the narrowstreets of Sunset Beach. The 914 eluded the police until it drove into a golf course several miles away and got bogged down....
sb914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 18 2019, 06:12 AM) *

Early seventies: a green 914 was being chased by the cops through the narrowstreets of Sunset Beach. The 914 eluded the police until it drove into a golf course several miles away and got bogged down....

hide.gif
Racer
My parents garage.. late summer of 1971. It had been in the garage for over a year till I was born wink.gif
914Sixer
First saw one in Osnabruck in 1970. Not impressed, as I had a 1967 911S when I was in Germany.
76-914
April 1971; a high school buddy bought a 914-6 and decided to take me for a ride, in the rain. I thought he was going to kill us and almost shit myself several times that night. sad.gif
JmuRiz
Around 1987, a dad of a kid on my football team had a yellow 914/6. I only saw it a couple times when the weather was nice and he picked him up in it, but it left an impression.

Later I saw a 'best car for $15k' article in R&T and Jeff Zwart's response was his personal 914/6...before he modified it for the Alaska-Panama rally.
tmessenger
New one at a VW dealership in Spokane Wa when they first came out 1970.

Tim
HansJan
1990 When I first came to the US (SoCal) for an internship.
My uncle in had a green 914-4 2.0.
When I moved to the US in 1992, I tried to buy one myself (But could afford the $2,000 price-tag).

Jazzy
A real car, not a photo? In 2017 when I went to a Porsche seller to check out what ended up being my first 914. Since then I have seen two other 914's at classic car events in The Netherlands and three in the US.
defianty
1989 in Vancouver. I was 16 and it was our last big family holiday. We'd spent a couple of weeks driving from Calgary to Vancouver through the Rocky Mountains. I remember walking though a car park and at the end was a black 914. I instantly fell for it and said to my Dad "I'll have one some day".

Mikey914
1985 March 20th. The day I bought my 73 2.0. I had never really paid attention. It looked like it came off the showroom floor, Black. Wish I could find it again.
CHIZ 914
1979 when my older Brother purchased a 75-1.8L in Youngstown, Ohio
Owned it for 4 years, always put up for the winter, then was stolen!

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
1969 Geneva auto show pic in R&T. After admiring and lusting for a 356 and 911 912 for all of my early youth, I thought "my god what did porsche do making that thing? Where are the headlights? Dog pan hubcaps? How could they go from the 912 to this?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and then, several years later, I dedicated my life to the car
buck toenges
Winter of 1971. I was 12, sick at home and my dad brought home a 1970 Adriatic blue 914 he bought from some soldier. He gave my sisters a ride already in it by the time I went into the garage to see it. He had earlier in the fall taken me with him to test drive a silver 912. This 914 was really different. Flip up head lights, 3 sets of seat belts, where was the engine? We had that car until 1982 when i sold it to the daughter of my welding buddy who would patch it up after it broke in half in 1981. Boy did I want a 911! After 2 911 cabs, a 356A, 4 914s, 1 912, 2 944ts, and a boxster I am finally fixing up my soon to be dd irish green 914 2.0L.

The circle of life my friends, the circle of life.
Olympic 914
In high school 1970, rich kid on our bus route. his dad bought him one for his 16th birthday. Silver, appearance group -4. he was always hammering it. saw it a lot at school. Didn't think much about it... I wanted a Vette

Years later upon seeing mine, a motorcycle friend told me he cut up a wrecked one. someone was using the engine/trans to build a trike. description fit. he gave me two Mahles and a roof just to get them out of his garage. I have the roof on my car now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2019, 05:39 AM) *
When was the first time you saw a 914?

Early seventies, growing up in Germany.
There weren't many of them around so they really stood out whenever you saw one.

Didn't like them at all ...
biggrin.gif
altitude411
I saw a six in the early eighties while living and racing bicycles in the bay area. Had to have one. I made plans to purchase a four to convert. My friend showed up at my house the day before my purchase with a autotrader magazine that had a six going up for sale in San Rafael. I was there the next morning to purchase the car. Didn't expect that the sixes would ever be worth what they are getting for them today. Thanks to Andy for keeping this site together so we all have a school to learn from and to all the awesome people who share advise and knowledge. beerchug.gif
mbseto
Don't remember the FIRST time, there were enough of them around that I saw one occasionally. I do remember asking my dad about them and him saying they are underpowered. I was disappointed because I thought they looked cool. He had a 240Z around that time, which was a hoot. He had a knack for picking future classics.
Lucky9146
Neighbor had one in 1978, green, took terrible care of it and it smoked and sounded like hell. Hated them then beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
poorsche914
1982 when my dad bought a white '75 1.8.
Click to view attachment

Less than a year later, I had bought my first 914... an Alaska Blue 2.0
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
raynekat
1970....brand new 914-6 sitting in a carport at the apartments where I cut grass for my summer job. I was big into VW Beetles...still caught my eye.
Beach914
Probably around 1973 or so, my Brother took me out to Dealer in Monterey that had a 70 914-6, Bahia Red, on the lot that we test drove and they were asking only $2600. He ended up buying a 64 356C for $2400 in Santa Cruz from a private owner.
mb911
About 1979-1980 I was 4 or 5 and dad bought a 71 with 3 seat belts . my parents drove with me everywhere in that. That was alonh with the 356s, 912s and the 924turbo (I loved that car as a kid)

Gint
Early seventies for me as well. A guy three doors down had one that he parked on the street. I walked by it every day on the way to kindergarten or first grade (it was only three blocks down the street). The seats on the flat floor and the 150 MPH speedo fascinated me.
daytona
March 1972. My girlfriend's older brother bought a yellow 914-6 and took me for a ride.
TheCabinetmaker
Summer, 1973. Drove past Conine-Swab porsche\Audi and thought "what the hell was that sitting in the show room? " Drove 3 blocks and turned around. Took it for a test drive, then drove it home! Traded in my 1 month old datsun pickup.
kgruen2
When they first came out in 1970. Saw one compete in a parking lot gymkana in Kansas City, Mo. Have owned 2 since, a maroon '76 and white '73 2.0.
mmichalik
Probably around '79 or '80. I was in 5th grade and it the license plate RUNVS (Are You Envious)
Between that and the BMW 2002 that I fell in love with, I was hooked.

Got both cars now and the license plate as well. biggrin.gif

cpavlenko
Early 1970, Anaheim California, at auto dealer. They had different euro cars there new for sale. I sat in the 1970 sixer, and loved the room it had being 6'2". Much better than my 74 Lotus Europa JPS. Especially getting in and out.
VaccaRabite
Mid-80s growing up in Modesto CA. I'd see 914s, Bugs, Things, and Ghias on a fairly regular basis driving to work waiting for the bus. At the time I had no idea what a 914 was.

Zach
Dion
Funny... just talking about this last nite with Brian (ThreeV8’s) .
I was about 8 yrs old (1973) , neighbor 4 houses down had a “Robin” egg blue one in the driveway. SHE would always give a beep on the horn when I was on my bike.
Lasting impression on me.... hmmm the girl or the car laugh.gif
Rleog
1970. A good friend bought a new Signal Orange 914/4 just as I graduated from college. We roomed together and I got to drive it occasionally until I entered the Army that fall.
914forme
1976 when my father brought home his new to him 914-6. Love at first site.
beech4rd
Early Seventies in West London, England. A yellow (VW-Porsche) 914 and a BRG MGB were racing between traffic lights late at night. The 914 was being out dragged at each light. I was following in a VW van and could almost keep up with the 914. Never thought I'd own one after watching that.
SteveL
1982 Swim Coach had a zambezi green 73. Decided then that I wanted one. Bought one 10 years later after college and have had it ever since (27 years) It is in the garage right now waiting for some diagnosis time and new tires.
warpig
When I was 12 (1975ish) I lived in Southern AZ. My best friend's dad wrenched on Baja Bugs, Sand Rails, Ghias etc for his friends as a side biz in his carport. We would hang around, hand him tools etc, and read him info from the VW's for Idiots book. As a reward we would get to go on test drives around the neighborhood. One day we walked up after school and he was working on this weird little, baby blue two seat car with no top, and it had a strange passenger seat that only the bottom moved. After he finished working on it we both buckled into the weird passenger seat and went for a ride. driving.gif
That memory stuck with me until I decided I needed something to drive besides a motorcycle or a truck and I got one of my own in 2010. (now I'm on #3) w00t.gif
bbrock
Would have been about '75 or '76 when I was 13 or 14. Riding in the car with my mom and saw an adriatic blue with BUBs drive by in the other lane. It had a negative side stripe to tell me the make of the car. I wasn't into cars. I liked Vettes, but every teenage boy in America liked Vettes. This car was different. It grabbed me like no other car had before, or has since. I didn't buy my first car until I was 19. Of course, it had to be a teener. No regrets!
SKL1
Pretty much about 50 years ago- the following bit tells the story...

Gotta try and find a picture of when one of my best friends and I drove a very early euro model 914 (just before they were introduced in the USA) from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids IA for the opening of the new Porsche+Audi dealer in my hometown. A good friend of mine was one of the P cars mechanics at the new dealership and they need "volunteers" to drive the car down to Iowa. It was in the middle of the winter but we didn't care.
The car was a 4 with appearance group and if I remember correctly a darker blue. Had the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel and the VW-Porsche script on the back. We were in college at the time and the trip was a great break from studying!!

Got my 914 from the same dealer about a year later... 49 years and still going strong!
oakdalecurtis
I started dating my now wife of 42 years while in high school. My car was a Ford Pinto, and even then we referred to it as the "blow up car”. One afternoon, my neighbor asked me if I was planning on taking my girlfriend to the upcoming high school Prom. When I said yes, he then informed me that it “just wasn't right to take her out on a big date like that in a Pinto”. My neighbor had just purchased a new silver 914, the first I had ever seen, and he offered let me use it to drive her to the big event! I couldn't believe it, and neither could my girlfriend, when I arrived to pick her up for the Prom in this little racy silver Porsche!
My generous neighbor continued to let me use his 914 whenever I had a big date night with my girl, and I will be forever grateful to him.
I'm not so sure that I would lend out my 914 today to a 16 year old kid like I was then! My neighbor will always be one of my heroes!

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
First time I saw one was when I moved back to Texas in 79. One of the guys in my high school class drove one. I ended up parking next to it in the school parking lot. There are pictures of it in my high school year book. The owner was a bit of an ass, and he and I didn't move in the same social circles, and frankly, I was really into muscle cars, so I didn't give it much thought at the time.

First 914 that I ever rode in and drove is sitting in our garage right now. I met Betty in 1985, and we have been together ever since.
914 Ranch
I can't remember when I first saw a 914 but in '71 I tried to trade in my Ghia with a 356 motor (a really sharp car). Took a test drive and when I returned they told me that they couldn't give me what I wanted for the Ghia. Only wanted $1.000.
pascalou
Hi, first time I saw a 914 was in 1979; It was a phénix red with tartan seats. The guy and me were at Liege University in Belgium. I was telling to myself this is my dreamcar, I will own one like it! And I did it in 1984, a white 1700 car but so rusted that I sold as parts...
In 2012 I bought one from Arizona but did not use it until this year. I have almost finished to refurbish it ! Before this year I used to ride my ruby red 356.
So much fun too!

rhodyguy
1972 Karlsruhe Germany. Parked half on a sidewalk at night with the left side lights on. I wanted a 356 at the time or a flared Capri with a turbo charged v-6. No interest in a 2 seat 'Volkswagen'.
Aircooledfool
For me it was 1973 when I purchased my first car, a tangerine 72 914. I was 15 and couldn't drive it legally for 6 months. However, that didn't stop me smile.gif. After all, it was the 70's.
ejm
It was late 70, early 71, dealers showroom, Fearn Motors, Huntington Station, New York. Wish I still had the brochures I picked up that day.
Pursang
1969 at the San Francisco Auto Show. Brooks Hall, under the Civic Center plaza. I had just gotten out of the Army. First one I've owned was in July of 1989. I still have it.
cjdawley
It's not the first one I've ever seen, but there was always one sitting in a bunch of trees on my way to work when I lived in Cross Plains WI. I remember thinking what a shame it was to let that car rot away. I was always going to stop and ask what he would take for it but never had any money then. I've always loved them. The first one that I drove is when I got mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.