Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommend a 914 shop Nj area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lostreasure
i have a great 1974 914 and need a real good shop that knows 914's orig injected car so needs to be in hands of a good 914 shop i am in central NJ I am about to send it to Brad at 914 limited if i cant find local Thanks
mepstein
Will Pyle at Fairwinds auto on rt 40 in Delaware. Will has been working on Porsche’s before they made 914’s. Shop doesn’t look fancy but it’s Will’s brain you are paying for. I’m sure there are other places but he’s the one I can be sure will do a great job.
Big Len
What needs to be done, body, engine, ?
rmital
First, define central NJ?
And what’s the situation? Our group in “northern NJ” have plenty of experience with FI
rmital
QUOTE(rmital @ Feb 18 2019, 06:43 PM) *

First, define central NJ?
And what’s the situation? Our group in “northern NJ” have plenty of experience with FI

Ok, did a search. Assuming you’re still have the hesitation issue.
What town are you from? Some shops up here around Hackensack, and like I mentioned, some of us who’ve kept are cars running for years could lend a hand
lostreasure
Located in Bridgewater NJ Car hesitates mostly when there is a electrical load-especially when head lights are on- i had a friend check the amperage and checked out ok- im afraid to let any one that doesnt know these car to work on it- the injection had worked fine- it mayb an electrical issue?
lostreasure
If any group member has the time i would gladly pay- not looking for a freebie just want an experienced person to diagnose thanks for your help
Cal
Paterek Brothers in Chatham,NJ
http://paterekbrothersinc.com

Gaswerks Garage in Paramus, NJ
http://www.gaswerksgarage.com
Cal
Paterek Brothers shop is less than 30 minutes from Bridgewater. They are more than qualified to work on your 914.
r_towle
QUOTE(lostreasure @ Feb 18 2019, 05:52 PM) *

i have a great 1974 914 and need a real good shop that knows 914's orig injected car so needs to be in hands of a good 914 shop i am in central NJ I am about to send it to Brad at 914 limited if i cant find local Thanks

make friends with Ray, you won't regret it.
he has a nice clean garage too smile.gif

Rich
lostreasure
Ray from??
914 Danny
QUOTE(lostreasure @ Feb 18 2019, 02:52 PM) *

Powertech in Rockaway NJ

www.pwr-tech.com

iankarr
Gaspar at Gaswerks is a 914 savant. You’re also within range of Chris Foley at Tangerine.
Racer
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 18 2019, 08:46 PM) *

Paterek Brothers in Chatham,NJ
http://paterekbrothersinc.com

Paterek is more about restoration than engine/electrical. He's also more 356 and collector car than 914s.

I used PowerTech over the years. They are in Rockaway. Mike, Mike and Keith all cut their teeth on VW Beetles/914s etc.
rmital
QUOTE(lostreasure @ Feb 18 2019, 08:33 PM) *

Located in Bridgewater NJ Car hesitates mostly when there is a electrical load-especially when head lights are on- i had a friend check the amperage and checked out ok- im afraid to let any one that doesnt know these car to work on it- the injection had worked fine- it mayb an electrical issue?

I'm Ray (who Rich referred to)...from Bergen County/Park Ridge
I have to be "captain obvious", this sounds like a ground issue?
battery connections clean and tight
battery ground strap
etc.
see Bowlsby site:
bowlsby.net information

dcheek
For mechanical work I would recommend Rennsmith in Dover, NJ.

201-704-5096

Paterek is for restoration - not mechanical or maintenance work.

Dave
mepstein
As good as Brad is, you obviously have a lot of good choices near you. I bet whatever you pay Ray to fix your car. It will still be a bargain compared to the high end shops - and he is just as good.
ejm
QUOTE(rmital @ Feb 19 2019, 02:13 PM) *

battery ground strap etc.

In addition to the basics Ray mentioned you need to check voltage.. at the coil, fuel pump and control unit. The headlight load is causing a voltage drop due to high resistance somewhere. If all the connections are good take a close look at the ignition switch since the headlight power passes thru it.
rmital
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 19 2019, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Feb 19 2019, 02:13 PM) *

battery ground strap etc.

In addition to the basics Ray mentioned you need to check voltage.. at the coil, fuel pump and control unit. The headlight load is causing a voltage drop due to high resistance somewhere. If all the connections are good take a close look at the ignition switch since the headlight power passes thru it.

...those are the priceless tips we get here...
jim912928
I live in IN (my 914 is there), but I work 3 days a week in Raritan, NJ...so I can always easily chat if you have questions.
rgalla9146
The OP has an 'interesting' history on Ebay and sales here.
As a buyer of service ? Hmmm.
Porscheguy912
I take my 914 to Jay at the Popular Mechanic in Chatham. 973-635-4740
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.