Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stand - floor model or bench top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I've been looking at them... the different designs. 3 wheels, 4 wheels, front wheels close together and front wheels as far apart as the rear wheels. 3/8's ton, 1/2 ton'rs and 3/4 ton'rs. Found what I thought to be purty gud at Knechts for $39, 750 lbs.
Then there's the bench mounted ones. I just don't know confused24.gif which one would suit me best. I guess the bench would limit your work to just that area. And if it were on wheels you could roll it up to the drill press for what-ever, eh? idea.gif

What'cha all think?
bruce
Brad Roberts
I buy the benchmount.. then mount it to a roller if need be. This gives me the option of bench mounting it or having one that roles around.

The bench top is good... it makes you keep everything engine related in one area.

B
seanery
I'd go the other way, but I've never built an engine before.
Alfred
What's the best way to transport a motor? I'm going to have my local P-car mechanic rebuild my 2.0 and I need to get it to him ... what's the best way to do that? Tow truck? How do you lift the motor without damaging it?

Alfred

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
The motor with tranny, and HE's only weigh about three hundred pounds. One man on each corner will do it nicely provided you all don't weigh 98 lbs. Use a pallet so the bottom doesn't shift around unnecessarily. Tie it down in the back of a truck so it doesn't move when you hit the brakes.
Bruce Allert
3 of us picked up my 2.0 w/o the tranny. 2 of us picked up my last 1.7 & carried it thru a maze of building materials for 50 ft. blink.gif That 1.7 sure seemed lighter than the 2.0 and the only difference was the 1.7 didn't have the heat exchangers. I know they got some metal in 'm but shouldn't have made that much diff.!
bruce
Alfred
Ok, maybe I'll get my brother to help me lift it. He just won his weight class at the B.C. Provincial Powerlifting Championships. He better not drop it, though! laugh.gif
J P Stein
Bruce:
Make it easy on yourself and borrow mine....and the yoke.
Bruce Allert
Hey thanks JP. Jim just emailed me and wants to loan me his bench mount stand... now I got engine stands comin' outta mah bootyshake.gif both kinds no less clap56.gif I think I will do both! That would look pretty cool in my shop... 2 engines on stands. Someone that din't know me could walk in & think I was either a mechanic or.... well, we won't go there cool_shades.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.