Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack points.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Does this diagram serve as a good reference for jack points? I’m planning to have my 914 up on jack stands (with backup support of course) for a week or so while I do some work under it. Always nervous working under the car to be honest. Just want to be as safe as possible. Thanks for everything!!
Click to view attachment
914outlaw
Here’s a link for a search to previous posts. There are several and most have good points. Good luck and be safe.

Jacking posts

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 20 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Does this diagram serve as a good reference for jack points? I’m planning to have my 914 up on jack stands (with backup support of course) for a week or so while I do some work under it. Always nervous working under the car to be honest. Just want to be as safe as possible. Thanks for everything!!
Click to view attachment
iankarr
Def use the locking pin-type jack stands. The ratcheting ones have been known to drop if accidentally knocked.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 20 2019, 08:40 PM) *

Def use the locking pin-type jack stands. The ratcheting ones have been known to drop if accidentally knocked.

Picked up double pin locking jack stands for additional peace of mind. Still intend to put my wheels under the car for additional support. Thanks for the feedback.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(914OUTLAW @ Feb 20 2019, 08:39 PM) *

Here’s a link for a search to previous posts. There are several and most have good points. Good luck and be safe.

Jacking posts

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 20 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Solid thank you!!
bbrock
Just an FYI, jacking under the long oval under the firewall tends to mangle the floor pan if you don't use something to spread the weight out. It's plenty strong to support the car though.
Rand
If you need a quick way to get it up, the blue pill is simply a beam (4x4 or what have you) under the rear firewall. Crossways, gives you a good way to get her in the air with support and it balances well there. That's what she said.

EDIT: Don't do this if you want it on all fours. Sorry I missed that bit. This method is only to get the rear up.
r_towle
First time, jack under the rear trailing arms and put jack stands underneath those, then the same up front.

So use the suspension first, that already holds up the car.
Then get under there and inspect everything to determine where you can safely support the car.
This is coming from someone who has bought and stripped a few of these in rough shape.
MiniStevieG
What about jack points here?
Click to view attachment
Or here?
Click to view attachment
jkb081
Got it! Thanks!
mlindner
Use 2 x 6's flat on bottom of car from front pinch weld and donut to rear donut/pinch weld. Jack stands on both ends....spreads weight out well and is very stable. Best, Mark
Dave_Darling
The intent of the long ovals was to show that you wanted something that would span much of that to spread out the load.

Suspension mounting points are good, if they're solid. The engine mount bar is very convenient to use, but the bar is held onto the chassis by four M8 bolts, so you might want to be wary of that.

--DD
bkrantz
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 20 2019, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 20 2019, 08:40 PM) *

Picked up double pin locking jack stands for additional peace of mind. Still intend to put my wheels under the car for additional support. Thanks for the feedback.

Good idea about putting the wheels under the car. I always do that as backup to jack stands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.