Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 2.0 in a 73’ 1.7?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Found a rebuilt 2.0. Engine code is a GA so if my research proves accurate this is actually a 74’ engine. Confirmed 3 bolt pattern on the intake heads. Stoked!! I’m curious if this will drop right into my 73’ that’s currently a 1.7 and what I might be in for with this? Headers and heat exchangers? Just a note: per the owner that rebuilt the engine it hasn’t been run since the rebuild so needless to say I need to learn more about what all needs to happen prior to dropping this in and firing it up. Considering taking it to Mayo Performance in Dallas to handle the swap but I’m also a fast learner and eager to do it myself.
Thanks!!
oldschool
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 20 2019, 06:18 PM) *

Found a very nice rebuilt 2.0 with twin Webers from a 76’. I’m curious if that’ll drop right into my 73’ that’s currently a 1.7 and what I might be in for with this?
Thanks!!

My old 1.7 went by,by.....now she has a 2.0 1973 what a big difference.
bbrock
If it comes with the engine tins, I think it should plug right in. Only thing I can think of is that you'll need to reroute your accelerator cable for the carbs. I'd also make sure it was rebuilt with a carb cam to work well with the Webers.

You will love that engine. BTW, does your car have sway bars? I think at least a front bar is a must-have to get the joy out of that engine.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 20 2019, 09:25 PM) *

If it comes with the engine tins, I think it should plug right in. Only thing I can think of is that you'll need to reroute your accelerator cable for the carbs. I'd also make sure it was rebuilt with a carb cam to work well with the Webers.

You will love that engine. BTW, does your car have sway bars? I think at least a front bar is a must-have to get the joy out of that engine.

Mine does not have sway bars.
bbrock
I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this thread. Looks like you removed the pic that was here last night, but it looked like you would just need to transfer the cooling fan, housing and front tin from your existing engine to that one and you'd be good to go as long as the rebuilder knew what they were doing.

On the sway bars, I drove two different 1.7 cars for several years before buying the 2.0 I have now. The 2 felt like a completely different animal but I'd say the sway bars contributed as much to the difference as the engine. Great combo. I've always run the factory bars front and rear and loved the handling. I've read that the rear bar doesn't contribute as much to the handling and some people prefer to run without the rear bar. I have no experience with that though. I can only say that a 2.0 with factory bars will make you smile.
TravisNeff
If the engine is complete with tins it will drop right in. no modifications needed. you can even use your 1.7 exhaust system if you like.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2019, 12:27 PM) *

I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this thread. Looks like you removed the pic that was here last night, but it looked like you would just need to transfer the cooling fan, housing and front tin from your existing engine to that one and you'd be good to go as long as the rebuilder knew what they were doing.

On the sway bars, I drove two different 1.7 cars for several years before buying the 2.0 I have now. The 2 felt like a completely different animal but I'd say the sway bars contributed as much to the difference as the engine. Great combo. I've always run the factory bars front and rear and loved the handling. I've read that the rear bar doesn't contribute as much to the handling and some people prefer to run without the rear bar. I have no experience with that though. I can only say that a 2.0 with factory bars will make you smile.

Good advice and I'll definitely be looking into sway bars. Not sure what the deal was with the pics I had posted last night. I removed them to reduce file size and thought I added them back but it was late haha. Here's a few pics of the 2.0. I'm told it was rebuilt to 2056cc.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Hey while it’s to this point check the oil cooler seals and oil cooler. Much easier now than later. Other than that you should be able to figure it out. Not that hard, but will require patience.

On another note, looks like 44s ? They will work, but a re a little big for stock 2.0. May have some jetting to do. Is the cam stock?. I would suspect that it may have been changed out if built specifically for carbs.

If not run it and look for a deal on a stock injection system. They pop up from time to time. They really run well and if the cam hasn’t been swapped it’s pretty straight forward.
Best wishes and please post lots of pics biggrin.gif
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Hey while it’s to this point check the oil cooler seals and oil cooler. Much easier now than later. Other than that you should be able to figure it out. Not that hard, but will require patience.

On another note, looks like 44s ? They will work, but a re a little big for stock 2.0. May have some jetting to do. Is the cam stock?. I would suspect that it may have been changed out if built specifically for carbs.

If not run it and look for a deal on a stock injection system. They pop up from time to time. They really run well and if the cam hasn’t been swapped it’s pretty straight forward.
Best wishes and please post lots of pics biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip. All seals were replaced on the engine. It has a CB Performane Road Cam.
Literati914
Hey Stevie.. welcome, always nice to get another 914 in the metroplex! Hope we can meet up at some point soon. Let my knee heal and I'm all in for assisting in any way I can with your project. Our cars are gonna have a bit in common... Greens w/2056 & stock fuchs. Btw, just curious about where you sourced the engine? I keep my eye open around here and have seen no such rebuilt engine. Good luck with your project!!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 21 2019, 07:21 PM) *

Hey Stevie.. welcome, always nice to get another 914 in the metroplex! Hope we can meet up at some point soon. Let my knee heal and I'm all in for assisting in any way I can with your project. Our cars are gonna have a bit in common... Greens w/2056 & stock fuchs. Btw, just curious about where you sourced the engine? I keep my eye open around here and have seen no such rebuilt engine. Good luck with your project!!

Hey man nice to meet you. Would love to hang out some time for some car talk. One thing’s for sure I could definitely use all the help I can get. I’m in way over my head! New to the 914 world and always wanted one since I was a kid.

Anyway, yes about the engine. I jump on deals quick and saw an ad for a 914 here that appeared to be a good donor car. As luck would have it the owner had recently pulled the engine and rebuilt it. He lost interest due to other projects and I snatched it up. Hopefully it turns out to be a winner and sounds nice too when it gets hooked up to a new Triad Exhaust.

Let me know when that knee heals up and we can grab coffee sometime or maybe you’d be willing to come turn some wrenches. Now that I’ve secured this new power plant I’m strongly considering stripping my z-green 914 down and starting a fresh build and addressing some of the rust issues underneath as well. Maybe you can help me track down a good welder/fabricator in the area?
Cheers!!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 21 2019, 07:21 PM) *

Back home after 8 long hours in the car picking up a freshly rebuilt 2056cc 2.0 and donor car. The donor car was originally a 75’ color code L80E light ivory. It was going to be my parts car of course but there’s something special about this one. I’m gonna need a bigger shop.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 07:38 PM) *

I’m gonna need a bigger shop.

av-943.gif

Famous last words. No matter how big the shop, it needs to be bigger.

BTW, nice find.
Literati914
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Back home after 8 long hours in the car picking up a freshly rebuilt 2056cc 2.0 and donor car. The donor car was originally a 75’ color code L80E light ivory. It was going to be my parts car of course but there’s something special about this one. I’m gonna need a bigger shop.

Wow, you've got the bug like the rest of us!! I had two of em until a few months back too. Id bought a real project, had it shipped to Dallas... then a better one popped up locally, and for less money. But nice score there.. so what's the plan now ?
TheCabinetmaker
Just for your information. Any year or size 914 engine will fit in any year car. The difference is the intake, exhaust, and induction system. Your research is a bit off. GA engines came in 73 and 74 model years.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 24 2019, 07:59 AM) *

Just for your information. Any year or size 914 engine will fit in any year car. The difference is the intake, exhaust, and induction system. Your research is a bit off. GA engines came in 73 and 74 model years.

Thank you. I am aware that GA engines came from both 73’ and 74’. I was referring to this particular engine code GA012038 according to P914.com
Click to view attachment
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 24 2019, 12:52 AM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 23 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Wow, you've got the bug like the rest of us!! I had two of em until a few months back too. Id bought a real project, had it shipped to Dallas... then a better one popped up locally, and for less money. But nice score there.. so what's the plan now ?

Got the 73’ up on crib stands and gave it a good look.

Click to view attachment

The rust around the floor pan is pretty bad and I’m considering picking up some new replacements and welding them in. Discovered a problem though. As you can see there are crossbars that we’re welded in ugh!! Don’t suppose that’s common? While I don’t mind the extra support it appears it’s going to get in the way of the floor pan replacement. Thoughts on this debacle?

Front to back:

Click to view attachment

Front welded cross brace:

Click to view attachment

Rear welded cross brace:

Click to view attachment

Now I’ve got some decisions to make.
rjames
Get rid of all of the crossbars and weld a new pan in, bracing the car ahead of time. Or get another car that's a better starting point as it might be cheaper in the long run. Given the shape that the floor pan is in, I imagine there will be other rust areas to deal with like the suspension console and ears.
rhodyguy
Remove the rocker covers and inspect.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 5 2019, 02:15 PM) *

Remove the rocker covers and inspect.

Removed the left rocker panel to reveal all this wonderfulness!!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Oh its Tube Framed......sorry man,, gonna take a ton of work..
How does your other 914 compare ??
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 5 2019, 03:00 PM) *

Oh its Tube Framed......sorry man,, gonna take a ton of work..
How does your other 914 compare ??

Here’s the 75’. Looks pretty good compared to the 73’ from a rust standpoint. It’s got a few trouble spots specifically under the passenger seat but seems manageable. The 73’ runs great so I may just keep it as is and drive the wheels off of it. Spent some quality time with it making sure everything works. Thoughts on the silver 75’ ? I’m thinking Laguna, Adriatic or Mexico Blue and we’ll put the new 2.0 in it perhaps? If the nays stack up I’ll unload it and keep hunting. Gimme your honest feedback please. Cheers!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I may just keep it as is and drive the wheels off of it.

do it.....focus dreams on other 914..in a way you got lucky, buying the motor and parts car..still a long round . but with out the fancy paint job ..it appears way more solid and ..can be efficently done... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

its not a 73 oh well you probably wernt much fun untill 75/76
bbrock
I've gotta be honest. I would be concerned about the safety of that '73. It looks to me like most of the original unibody structure rotted away and somebody cobbled together a square tube platform under it to keep the car from folding in half. Those longs are toast. Are the tubes strong enough and secured well enough to replace the original structural integrity? confused24.gif I personally wouldn't drive it until I had someone really competent in tube frame engineering take a look and say it is sound.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 5 2019, 06:33 PM) *

I've gotta be honest. I would be concerned about the safety of that '73. It looks to me like most of the original unibody structure rotted away and somebody cobbled together a square tube platform under it to keep the car from folding in half. Those longs are toast. Are the tubes strong enough and secured well enough to replace the original structural integrity? confused24.gif I personally wouldn't drive it until I had someone really competent in tube frame engineering take a look and say it is sound.

Appreciate the honesty. We’re on the same page. I’m taking it Thursday to a fabricator to have a look at the work that was done. The fabricator did say that if the structure is sound he can weld a floor pan in that would run from front to back and would be welded just below the tube frame. Good chance if he gives me the green light I’m going to put it in my storage and take a look at it after I’ve completed the 75’.

The decision has been made to move forward with the restoration of the 75’. My wife picked L50C Laguna blue or Adriatic Blue so here we go. Smart decision on my part getting her input smile.gif Going to start a build thread for the 75’. These cars are ridiculous!!

Cheers!!
sixnotfour
3rd one will complete the cycle,,,someone driving by will say.. hey you want another one of those ??

here is one of my stories.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=32920
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 5 2019, 11:02 PM) *

3rd one will complete the cycle,,,someone driving by will say.. hey you want another one of those ??

here is one of my stories.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=32920

So true! Good story btw.. I’ve got a friend that found an old J3 Cub plane in an abandoned hanger years ago. He tracked down the owner, bought it for a song and restored it. Pretty cool. This 75/76’ has turned out to be interesting as the Vin: 4762901275 identifies it as one of the last 76’s but the build date was 10/75.
Click to view attachment

Maybe that’s common I don’t know. Anyway the original color was L80E Light Ivory and someone gave it a horrible paint job many years back. Window sticker says 2004 so it’s only been a mere 15yrs since this thing was on the road. It didn’t come with the appearance package judging by the wheels, lack of sail panels and sway bars. It was however optioned with AC and the center console which is a plus.

Previous owner said the AC had a charge on it but he never ran it as his intent was just to pull the motor and rebuild it which he did. The engine was GA 74’ 2.0L that clearly was installed at a later time.

Click to view attachment

Found this in the engine bay while I was digging around in the car btw:

Click to view attachment

Scared the hell out of me!! Needless to say I’ve been using a 9 iron to poke around since that sighting. Hoping I don’t find a rattlesnake or moccasin coiled up in a vent hose. Wife now calls my new car “the snake”. smile.gif
mepstein
I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s a “tube frame”. I think it’s a PO hack job. A 914 needs a strong foundation. That mess isn’t it. There are better cars to build on. Brent has blown my mind from what he started with and what he has done but he rebuilt it back to a safe, stock condition. Good luck with your project.
rhodyguy
You're going to weld a pan leaving the tubing? The floor is still shot. Waste of time and money if I'm reading this correctly. Not that long ago they were parts cars. I've had plenty of them in my operating room/driveway.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2019, 08:45 AM) *

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s a “tube frame”. I think it’s a PO hack job. A 914 needs a strong foundation. That mess isn’t it. There are better cars to build on. Brent has blown my mind from what he started with and what he has done but he rebuilt it back to a safe, stock condition. Good luck with your project.

Definitely a poor hack job. Well, I cut my teeth on the green 73’ and rewired it, changed a couple headlight motors, fixed the horn, replaced tail light housings and lenses, installed a stereo and speakers, swapped out a clutch cable, repaired the clutch tube assembly, fixed the door handles and window cranks and changed out plugs and wires. Waiting on the windshield wiper assembly to arrive so I can get that done and at the very least drive it around the neighborhood until I move it to my hanger. Knowledge gained.

I’m having a fabricator look at the 73’ tomorrow to give me his opinion but good chance I’ll tool around in it while I’m restoring the 75/76’. The 73’ runs great and drives straight so maybe some day I’ll get to it but the time has come to focus on the other build. Cheers!!
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2019, 08:55 AM) *

You're going to weld a pan leaving the tubing? The floor is still shot. Waste of time and money if I'm reading this correctly. Not that long ago they were parts cars. I've had plenty of them in my operating room/driveway.

Don’t know really. Likely very little will be done to it now as I’m going to focus on my other 914. I do enjoy driving it so likely I’ll make sure it’s buttoned up and I can drive it around. Someday perhaps I’ll revisit it.
bbrock
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 6 2019, 07:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Scared the hell out of me!! Needless to say I’ve been using a 9 iron to poke around since that sighting. Hoping I don’t find a rattlesnake or moccasin coiled up in a vent hose. Wife now calls my new car “the snake”. smile.gif

Give me a close up of the scales and I can give you a very good guess on species. 90% chance it was a black rat snake and 100% chance it is not rattlesnake or water moccasin.

Yes. I like snakes and have for a long time biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s a “tube frame”

i should have added drunk.gif barf.gif blink.gif chair.gif headbang.gif hissyfit.gif sheeplove.gif

to my subtle shock responce.. stirthepot.gif yes it is a tube frame.... popcorn[1].gif
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 6 2019, 10:07 AM) *

Give me a close up of the scales and I can give you a very good guess on species. 90% chance it was a black rat snake and 100% chance it is not rattlesnake or water moccasin.

Yes. I like snakes and have for a long time.

Here ya go. Praying I don’t find it wile I’m gutting this car. I on the other hand, hate snakes!!

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
If you don't plan on refurbing the AC, that's a bunch of work added to the list. Best to make a comprehensive list of ALL of the rust and other chassis/body repairs. Parts and labor is going to be $$$$. I would not buy anymore fixers at this point.
bbrock
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 6 2019, 09:51 AM) *

Here ya go. Praying I don’t find it wile I’m gutting this car. I on the other hand, hate snakes!!

Click to view attachment

Well, it isn't a rat snake or rattlesnake, water moccasin, or copperhead. Best guess would be one of the kingsnakes (including milksnakes). Near certain it isn't a coral snake either which means whatever it was, it is harmless other than the adrenaline rush it might give you. smile.gif You might be happy to know that skin is pretty old so the owner is probably long gone.

My sister-in-law lives over in Sulphur Springs and is terrified of snakes. Texas is a tough place to live if you don't like them.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 6 2019, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 6 2019, 09:51 AM) *

Well, it isn't a rat snake or rattlesnake, water moccasin, or copperhead. Best guess would be one of the kingsnakes (including milksnakes). Near certain it isn't a coral snake either which means whatever it was, it is harmless other than the adrenaline rush it might give you. smile.gif You might be happy to know that skin is pretty old so the owner is probably long gone.

My sister-in-law lives over in Sulphur Springs and is terrified of snakes. Texas is a tough place to live if you don't like them.

Good to know thanks! Don’t see many in the burbs here in North Dallas but I did grow up on Lake Conroe so we often had snakes. In fact one time there one was in the house coiled up in the mini blinds and damn near landed in my lap when I pulled the blinds open haha!!

I’ll be keeping the 9 iron handy while I’m exploring the new project smile.gif
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2019, 10:59 AM) *

If you don't plan on refurbing the AC, that's a bunch of work added to the list. Best to make a comprehensive list of ALL of the rust and other chassis/body repairs. Parts and labor is going to be $$$$. I would not buy anymore fixers at this point.

Thanks! Yeah no real plans to address the AC as the list will be prioritized to make sure everything else is in order.
MiniStevieG
Question: Necessary to brace the frame if I’m going to replace the floor pan in quarters? I’ve gone ahead and ordered the replacement firewall and I see I can get the floor pans in halves or quarters. Also thinking it may be easier for me to weld in quarters since I don’t have a rotisserie and will be welding under the car.

Click to view attachment
Thanks everyone!!
bbrock
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 6 2019, 10:40 AM) *

Question: Necessary to brace the frame if I’m going to replace the floor pan in quarters? I’ve gone ahead and ordered the replacement firewall and I see I can get the floor pans in halves or quarters from restoration design or pelican. Also thinking it may be easier for me to weld in quarters since I don’t have a rotisserie and will be welding under the car.

Thanks everyone!!

Before deciding, pull all the carpeting, seat brackets etc. out of the car and strip all the tar off the floor. The tar hides rust lurking underneath and can also fool you into thinking areas are rusted that really aren't. Only with the tar stripped will you know how my metal you need to order.

Without having a rotisserie, it depends on how many quarters you need. I would choose the option with the least total length of butt welds as those are going to be the most difficult to weld from underneath. I can tell you the RD floor panels are excellent. If you do the full pan, it comes in two pieces so you have to plug weld along the longs and firewall, then butt weld across the middle and at the front bulkhead. I've got several pages of pics of my replacement (on a rotisserie) starting roughly here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2562726. Don't forget to beef up your clutch cable tube while you have the tunnel open.
KELTY360
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Mar 6 2019, 09:40 AM) *

Also thinking it may be easier for me to weld in quarters since I don’t have a rotisserie and will be welding under the car.

Do yourself a favor, get a rotisserie! You've got a ton of welding in front of you. It's not just the floors. You'll also be replacing the longs and who knows what else. Buying a rotisserie in your situation is like buying a lift for some guys. They always say: "I should have done this years ago."
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 6 2019, 11:59 AM) *

Also thinking it may be easier for me to weld in quarters since I don’t have a rotisserie and will be welding under the car.

Do yourself a favor, get a rotisserie! You've got a ton of welding in front of you. It's not just the floors. You'll also be replacing the longs and who knows what else. Buying a rotisserie in your situation is like buying a lift for some guys. They always say: "I should have done this years ago."

agree.gif Was going to mention that making a rotisserie doesn't add that much to the overall project cost and saves a ton of headache. I'm really going to miss not being able to spin my car into just the right position as needed. However, it was pointed out to me when I started my build that you don't want to weld in longs with the car on a rotisserie. For that, you want the car supported straight and level, preferably from suspension points. I built a simple dolly/jig for the longs and then cut it up to repurpose for the rotisserie when the time came.

We don't yet know what the longs on the 75 look like do we? Have you pulled the rocker covers off on that one?
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 6 2019, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 6 2019, 11:59 AM) *

agree.gif Was going to mention that making a rotisserie doesn't add that much to the overall project cost and saves a ton of headache. I'm really going to miss not being able to spin my car into just the right position as needed. However, it was pointed out to me when I started my build that you don't want to weld in longs with the car on a rotisserie. For that, you want the car supported straight and level, preferably from suspension points. I built a simple dolly/jig for the longs and then cut it up to repurpose for the rotisserie when the time came.

We don't yet know what the longs on the 75 look like do we? Have you pulled the rocker covers off on that one?

I’m gonna have to talk the wife into it. Here’s a shot of the passenger long on the 75’. They look surprisingly good. The rust you see on the ground is from the rotted out floor pan just under the passenger seat. I was pleasantly surprised.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Nice! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.