Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mocal earl thermostat hookup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
Hey guys I have just purchased a Mocal oil thermostat off of ebay. Is the pic below correct? I want to make sure that I really understand the drawing. Also should I be able to see through the unit on both sides, when it is out in open air? I would have figured that it would have something closed off until a certain temp was reached.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
bwilless
Here's how I have mine hooked up:

Top Right from motor
Bottom Right to Oil Tank
Top Left to/from oil cooler
Bottom Left to/from oil cooler

The unit is never open all the way that I can tell. Even when the car is not up to temp oil is passed to the cooler.
Steve Thacker
Tanx man I do appreciate the help! I'll take a look at my unit again. I do know that if I pick the unit up I can see through it like a pair of binoculars. I see some sort of stem on one side and a spring on the other. I just keep thinking shouldn't something be closed off?
StratPlayer
Heres my setup
Demick
You are confused because the passages from the engine and to the cooler (and back) are open at low temps. This is normal because the cooler is never closed off from oil flow. The thermostat just opens a bypass that allows (but does not force) the oil to bypass the cooler. There will still be some flow through the cooler at low temps, but most of the oil will take the lower resistance path through the bypass until the bypass is closed by the thermostat when the oil gets to temp. Once the bypass is closed, all oil is forced through the cooler. Make sense?

Demick
Aaron Cox
you still need a sandwhich plate or where are you taking the oil from?

i boght a MoCal sandwhich adapter plate, with a BUILT IN thermostat.....seemed easier and CHEAPer then going with an external t-stat....

2 birds....1 stoen

AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.