Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some headlight advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I need new headlights. I just want something that fits the stock headlight holders, nothing fancy. I do NOT want to modify anything, electrical or otherwise (no new relays, no re-wiring, no cutting metal, etc).

I have two different types, but both are sealed. One is a Westinghouse #6012 12v, the other appears to be a GE 7002 12v 60/45W. The GE one is very dim. The other one seems fine, but I thought I'd replace both at the same time.

I searched on this site and need some clarification.

I found these for $54 at Pelican:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/70476-M44.htm
These seem like an upgrade that is just plug and play, correct?

Rockauto.com has these for about $5!:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk...383&jsn=383
These are sealed ones like I currently have, NOT the original ones that allow for the bulb to be changed. I'm fine with either type.

They have a few other ones priced from $5 to $12. What am I missing? Why are these 1/10 the price?

Valy
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 22 2019, 06:46 PM) *

I need new headlights. I just want something that fits the stock headlight holders, nothing fancy. I do NOT want to modify anything, electrical or otherwise (no new relays, no re-wiring, no cutting metal, etc).

I have two different types, but both are sealed. One is a Westinghouse #6012 12v, the other appears to be a GE 7002 12v 60/45W. The GE one is very dim. The other one seems fine, but I thought I'd replace both at the same time.

These are sealed ones like I currently have, NOT the original ones that allow for the bulb to be changed. I'm fine with either type.

They have a few other ones priced from $5 to $12. What am I missing? Why are these 1/10 the price?

Those are 2 different options:
The Pelican one is a H4 conversion kit, meaning that you'll only change the inner bulb from now on. This is why its more expensive.
The other one is a sealed beam that includes the bulb and reflector. You change the entire assembly: bulb+ reflecto+ lens.
Original is the sealed beam, 60W. The 6024 you linked to has 65W so it's a bit more powerful but also more load on the wires.

Correction - I see that different manufacturers list different wattage for the same part number so, not 100% sure on the wattage difference.
abes914
I have the H4 conversion kit from a member her and I got LED headlights from 914rubber group by. I am happy with those purchase. I often drive at night—I try to daily drive my car as much as I can.

No modification on installing them. Plug and play on both.
bandjoey
Get the LEDs from 914 rubber. Double your night time vision.
Chi-town
This conversation is something that I know a bit about as I spent months doing research for a large aftermarket company looking to get into the 7" round headlight market.

An inexpensive plug and play option would be a Silvana Silver Star bulb, better light output and correct fluted lenses as not to blind oncoming traffic.

H4 retrofit housing and LED retrofit in an H4 reflector housing is not only illegal but dangerous as there is no defined cut off on the light output as required by DOT/SAE certification which can blind other drivers.(even worse when you use HID)

Most of the full led headlights on the market are not actually SAE/DOT legal either. Sure the retailers and manufactures (almost always Chinese) say they are but they're not. Chinese companies produce fake test documents and US retailers just run with them. Unless the manufacturer or retailers can produce US testing documents DO NOT believe them when they say they are DOT approved / legal. (This applies to H4 retrofit housing also!)

There are DOT legal options such as JW Speaker, Trucklite/Rigid, ProComp are some of the more common ones.

Your safety depends on your vision and the vision of other drivers around you. Do a little research before you install new lights.

-End PSA- laugh.gif
bandjoey
Just my 2cents. LEDs that are being sold here do have a defined cut off and very easy to adjust. 2nd if you drive next to a pickup truck you’ll be blinded by their lights coming and going. I do not sell lights but I installed leds a year ago and love em.
moto914
All the above info offered is good to here and also will help my future choice on headlights. thanks
TheCabinetmaker
"These are sealed ones like I currently have, NOT the original ones that allow for the bulb to be changed. I'm fine with either type."

Sealed beams were original.
Spoke
I put these LED headlights on my 930 from carmagic.us. They say they have a 914 compatible LED. The Pelican guy's screenname is englebert. These are very bright and have a sharp cutoff. They have a wiring option to run these as DRL if the running light power is provided to the headlight.

For the 911, DRL is easy since the running light power is run through the headlight bucket. Unlike the 914, the 911 headlight is always visible so DRL is easy to do.

Carmagic.us
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 23 2019, 09:45 AM) *

I put these LED headlights on my 930 from carmagic.us. They say they have a 914 compatible LED. The Pelican guy's screenname is englebert. These are very bright and have a sharp cutoff. They have a wiring option to run these as DRL if the running light power is provided to the headlight.

For the 911, DRL is easy since the running light power is run through the headlight bucket. Unlike the 914, the 911 headlight is always visible so DRL is easy to do.

Carmagic.us

englebert did a terrific restore on a yellow 914 so he knows our cars well. He’s at Hershey. Nice guy.
Chi-town
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 23 2019, 05:30 AM) *

Just my 2cents. LEDs that are being sold here do have a defined cut off and very easy to adjust. 2nd if you drive next to a pickup truck you’ll be blinded by their lights coming and going. I do not sell lights but I installed leds a year ago and love em.

Like I said, show me US based certification then I'll believe it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you can buy the h-4 Indian brand for 39.50 a set have the replaceable h-4 bulb. Probably made at the same factory as the hella ones as hella h-4 are made in India as well. we always have plenty on the shelf if you cannot find them anywhere.

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 22 2019, 07:46 PM) *

914 RZ-1
LED's are too much money for me right now. As I originally posted, I'm not looking for fancy. I just went to my FLAPS and got these:

Click to view attachment

They are 35/60 W. It was about $40 for both. And I supported my local FLAPS.
BENBRO02
I did a Euro headlight conversion on my Jetta GLI in the 80's and never liked the extreme cutoff on the light pattern. Is there a better and US legal alternative that I can put 914 Rubber LED bulbs in?
bandjoey
Here U Go. Not overpriced and all you need

https://shop.914rubber.com/Lighting_c6.htm;...p3plqscsfapp001
Tdskip
What about installing a relay as a headlight brightness improvement mod? OR Do our cars come with us already correctly wired up?
Chi-town
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Feb 23 2019, 01:05 PM) *

I did a Euro headlight conversion on my Jetta GLI in the 80's and never liked the extreme cutoff on the light pattern. Is there a better and US legal alternative that I can put 914 Rubber LED bulbs in?

Short answer, No.

Even if a H4 housing has been tested and certified once you swap to a LED bulb you change the light distribution and it has to be recertified to be legal again.
Mikey914
There are many different H4 LED options. We spent months to find the ones we feel are the best bang for the buck. Yes you can but cheaper versions, but these were the best value we have found.
123ignitionusa
I found these to be exceptionally bright. Just plug them in. Hella 7 inch Round Headlight Conversion Kit - Glass w/bulb - Top Quality.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.