Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel alignment.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Toy
What is the recommended front and rear toe and camber wheel alignments for our street driving 914's? And given a 16" rim, for toe adjustment: what would be the difference between the distance from the rear and the front of the wheel rim to a line parallel with the longitudinal center line of the car? Similarly, for camber adjustment what would be the difference between the top and bottom of the wheel rim from vertical? I am guessing these differences are somewhere close to 1/8" or less?
Mark Henry
There's a real good write up, I believe it's in the classics section.

Toe in 1/8", 1.5* neg camber and for caster I like as much as you can get for high speed tracking, but it makes slow speed turning harder. IIRC I could only get 7* caster with the stock adjustment. You will run into limits with the stock adjustments, I could only get 1.75* camber on one side of the car, still OK but it may wear the inside tire a bit faster.
Rear IIRC toe out 1/8" for street.

I did my own alignment using a tilt box and a homemade toe slide ruler.
mlindner
Mark, you have toe OUT in the rear???? I thought that was a real no no, why.
Best, Mark
jim_hoyland
From Tech Tips 700:
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 24 2019, 07:35 AM) *

Toe in 1/8", 1.5* neg camber and for caster I like as much as you can get for high speed tracking, but it makes slow speed turning harder. IIRC I could only get 7* caster with the stock adjustment. You will run into limits with the stock adjustments, I could only get 1.75* camber on one side of the car, still OK but it may wear the inside tire a bit faster.

Would you be willing to post some photos of home made stuff?
roblav1
You can also use string and jackstands to measure toe. Camber and caster are also easy to measure. I use a plastic level with screws drilled in the sides. Alter the screw lengths to get the degrees desired.
Dave_Darling
Toe out is tricky stuff, and best used in strict moderation. At the front of the car, it helps make the car turn-in faster, at the expense of it feeling twitchy and needing to be actively steered at all times. (Changing the radio station can result in an accidental lane change.) Toe-out in the rear will make the car rather more tail-happy, and is not generally a good idea unless you have a car with hideous understeer.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 25 2019, 03:34 PM) *

Toe out is tricky stuff, and best used in strict moderation. At the front of the car, it helps make the car turn-in faster, at the expense of it feeling twitchy and needing to be actively steered at all times. (Changing the radio station can result in an accidental lane change.) Toe-out in the rear will make the car rather more tail-happy, and is not generally a good idea unless you have a car with hideous understeer.

--DD

Thanks. I sure noticed that with my first foray into Porsche. They go where you look! Which to me seemed dangerous and wonderful at the same time.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 24 2019, 07:35 AM) *

Toe OUT in rear....Yikes!......not sure you recall correctly.....maybe a retraction is in order?? This could be dangerous advice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.