Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing ECU
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
A real quickie - trying to remove my ECU and the wire harness doesn't disconnect from the ECU. There's a little black screw at the top of the black sheath covering the harness connection. OK to remove?
Been doing this long enough to have learned not to unscrew things I don't know anything about!
Got the ECU and cradle unbolted, but not enough room (engine in place) to remove with the harness connected.
Thanks!
iankarr
You shouldn't have to remove the harness to drop the engine. If you've got the ECU unbolted from the firewall and the plugs out of the relay board, just lie the ECU and harness on top of the engine for the drop. Not sure what you mean by there not being enough room to remove with the harness connected. Any pics?
StarBear
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 24 2019, 07:07 PM) *

You shouldn't have to remove the harness to drop the engine. If you've got the ECU unbolted from the firewall and the plugs out of the relay board, just lie the ECU and harness on top of the engine for the drop. Not sure what you mean by there not being enough room to remove with the harness connected. Any pics?

Sorry for the confusion - not dropping the engine; just trying to swap out the ECU but the harness connector to the ECU doesn't unplug due to the black sheath (pinned to the ECU housing) being screwed into the top of the connector. Can't slide the ECU out with the connector still attached.
Will photo tonight.
Olympic 914
disconnect the cable clamp at the bottom of the ECU and swing it out of the way then the black plastic cover slides down. inside there should be a white plastic handle to pull and unplug the wiring harness.

It may be real stiff to slide down.

The screw in the side of the black plastic should attach to the ECU carrier. it just prevents it from swinging on the top mounts. and does not attach to anything inside.

StarBear
Here are the photos. WIll check the advice above to see if I can find the "clamp"; removed all the bolts.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
StarBear
Got it! The black plastic sheath has just a little finger hook at the top - just lifted it up a bit more and the hook slid right out.
Got a replacement ECU to put in and see if I can't get this puppy back up and running (out of commission for a few months now, chasing down 45+ year old gremlins....
WHooHoo! piratenanner.gif
JeffBowlsby
Oh. You have a 1.8L engine. Thats L-Jet. Ther is a spring loaded clamp at the base of that ECU connector to release the connector from the ECU.

Doubt your ECU is whatever problem you may be experiencing.
StarBear
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 25 2019, 11:47 PM) *

Oh. You have a 1.8L engine. Thats L-Jet. Ther is a spring loaded clamp at the base of that ECU connector to release the connector from the ECU.

Doubt your ECU is whatever problem you may be experiencing.

Right, Jeff (forgot to mention 1.8). This one has a little finger hook at the top - I noticed it when looking at my own picture. Also feel it's unlikely, but the next step is a tow job, and kind of wanted to see how/if to remove and clear out "the hole" as long as it's disabled in the winter.
Thanks for all your help (and parts) to me and in the forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.