Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lietz / Karo ski rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
After searching for well over a year I was finally able to find an original Lietz / Karo ski rack for my 914. These racks were only designed to fit the 914 and are a very rare and cool accessory piece. The original red leather straps are the same ones that Lietz fit to the popular luggage racks on the 911 and are still available. After several days cleaning and detailing the rack I was able to install it this weekend.

Coondog
Nicest Rack I have ever seen...... blink.gif
campbellcj
Super rad!
DickSteinkamp
Beautiful rack (and car)!

My NOS Barrecrafters ski rack attaches the same way in the back...by pulling out some of the factory nutsert covers and bolting it on. What other accessories used these built in nutserts?
Valy
Those skis are killers!
Really nice setup! Enjoy!
Ferg
That is Awesome!
ValcoOscar
agree.gif Very rare and one of the nicest period correct accessories that actually look good on a 914.

beerchug.gif

Oscar
johnlush
Very cool. I didn't realize those were so hard to come by. I have one up in the attic that I may have to put on and strap down my '80s vintage PRE 1200 207mm with Solomon 727 Equipe binders and relive the days when I had fully functional knees!
Marignan75
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 25 2019, 06:46 AM) *

After searching for well over a year I was finally able to find an original Lietz / Karo ski rack for my 914. These racks were only designed to fit the 914 and are a very rare and cool accessory piece. The original red leather straps are the same ones that Lietz fit to the popular luggage racks on the 911 and are still available. After several days cleaning and detailing the rack I was able to install it this weekend.

@Cal
Hi, do you still have a link to buy those new straps , cause I need one set, and by the way do you also have the copy of the mounting manual? Best rgds
beerchug.gif
Jett
Very nice!
Cal
QUOTE(Marignan75 @ Sep 24 2023, 08:32 AM) *

@Cal
Hi, do you still have a link to buy those new straps , cause I need one set, and by the way do you also have the copy of the mounting manual? Best rgds
beerchug.gif

The straps are available on eBay for $100.00….the vendors name is woody’s custom shop. @marignan75
Mikey914
I can save you a few bucks

https://914rubber.com/new-leather-ski-rack-straps
Mikey914
If there was enough interest I could do a GB too biggrin.gif
Say 10 takers I could do $68 a set.
PS I actually have the edge embossing like the originals matched to the original color
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 25 2019, 07:51 AM) *

Those skis are killers!
Really nice setup! Enjoy!

Not killers just ankle breakers
rgalla9146

Does anyone have a source for the Karo decal ? ... or mounting hardware ?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cal @ Sep 24 2023, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Marignan75 @ Sep 24 2023, 08:32 AM) *

@Cal
beerchug.gif

The straps are available on eBay for $100.00….the vendors name is woody’s custom shop. @marignan75
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 24 2023, 06:57 PM) *
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 25 2023, 09:51 AM) *

i have this rack too, mine made it to me without the Karo label too, so i would like to source them as well.

regarding the straps, i ordered a set from Woody' but what i got from him are longer and wider and thicker than my original ones, so when Mark made the ones he has i got a set and they do fit better on my rack. which is the same as this one here but there could be some variation

I have the luggage rack straps from Woodys for the Leitz luggage racks and they are really nice. i use them for the surf board when i mount it on the ski rack,
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 24 2023, 06:59 PM) *

If there was enough interest I could do a GB too biggrin.gif
Say 10 takers I could do $68 a set.
PS I actually have the edge embossing like the originals matched to the original color

@Mikey914
thats a good deal i would get a second set if you do this , but i doubt there are 10 in the US and europe combined but i could be wrong,

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 25 2023, 09:51 AM) *

i found them on Stoddards and Pelican,

I just ordered some from Stoddard's right now, hope they have them in stock!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.