Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are these harness wires for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
I assume these wires are for the cockpit convenience light, but what is the third wire with the black end 9 wire color red and purple.
Click to view attachment

I removed the foam bulkhead filler and found this harnes end underneth it. what is this for. I have a '75.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
EGR counter goes under the foam block. Only used in California engine cars. Brown wires are always ground. Assuming the other wire is the hot for the light.
Mike D.
The long wires in center are for the interior light in the backpad.
SirAndy
And one of those center wires should go to your handbrake switch ...
idea.gif
Chi-town
I had the same question till I took a few cars apart.

What I found was:

One is going to be your hand brake switch per @sirandy
One is the ground for the back pad light
One is power for the back pad light
One is the ground for the rear defroster glass

What's interesting is I don't see the green wire that is the power for the rear defroster glass?
drem914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2019, 01:29 PM) *

And one of those center wires should go to your handbrake switch ...
idea.gif

To activate the buzzer and dash light? That is working fine.
The center wire group are a pair of browns wired to one female spade, a single brown to a single female spade and the thrid was a red/purple wire with a single female spade on the ends.
the convenience light only has two connections so where does one of those grounds go to? And which one goes to the light.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 25 2019, 02:08 PM) *
The center wire group are a pair of browns wired to one female spade, a single brown to a single female spade and the thrid was a red/purple wire with a single female spade on the ends.
the convenience light only has two connections so where does one of those grounds go to? And which one goes to the light.

Not sure about a '75, but on my early car one of them brown wires went around the back of the drivers seat and down the long to the switch under the handbrake lever.
idea.gif
jcd914
There should be 3 connections on the backpad light.
One connection is for power to the light, hot all the time. Per the diagram should be black with red tracer.
One connection is for switched ground, connects to the door switches. Per the diagram 1 brown with white tracer.
One connection is for constant ground, so you can switch the light on with the doors closed. Per the diagram solid brown wires. The diagram I have shows 3 wires connected here but diagrams differ from reality sometimes.

The power wire should connect to the end of the light farthest from the switch.
The other ground wires should connect to the switch end of the light.

Jim
drem914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2019, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Feb 25 2019, 02:08 PM) *

Not sure about a '75, but on my early car one of them brown wires went around the back of the drivers seat and down the long to the switch under the handbrake lever.
idea.gif

i found that one under the carpert and rubber sound absorber on the bulkhead and next to the hand brake while taking out the carpets. So that's accounted for.
drem914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 25 2019, 02:43 PM) *

There should be 3 connections on the backpad light.
One connection is for power to the light, hot all the time. Per the diagram should be black with red tracer.
One connection is for switched ground, connects to the door switches. Per the diagram 1 brown with white tracer.
One connection is for constant ground, so you can switch the light on with the doors closed. Per the diagram solid brown wires. The diagram I have shows 3 wires connected here but diagrams differ from reality sometimes.

The power wire should connect to the end of the light farthest from the switch.
The other ground wires should connect to the switch end of the light.

Jim

Great that should do it. Those were the three that were just hanging out there. They are all the same length so they should all go to the same spot. I'll take a closer look at the light for the 3 spades to connect to.

This site is fantastic for info. Thanks again to all for all the assistance today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.