Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sobolewski
Hello,

Driving my 1972, 1.7 fuel injected 914 home this evening after dark in a light rain. Head and instruments lights were flickering as they have been for the last year. I intermittently lost power for a few seconds on the short drive home after which the car would spring back to life while never stopping the car. The car stalled in the garage and the headlights stayed in the up position and the car would not crank. Courtesy light worked. After the car sat for a few minutes everything was back to normal. Any ideas? Short? Bad alternator?

Thanks!

John
bd1308
got a couple of questions:

when your car DOES work and when you turn your key to the ON position, do you get a red light illuminating? Yes answer is good here.

have you checked your fuses and ground strap. Ground trap attaches from back of the tranny to the body of the car. Mine is black in color(insulated).

Check relay board too.

And battery.

tod914
I had a problem like that with my 73 2.0. It was the voltage regulator that was bad. Think they are about $40 for a new one. Try swapping it with a good known unit. It's located in the engine bay, drivers side on the relay board; silver box.
bd1308
yup, actually now that you said it, i had the same problem. Had to jump start the car and keep the engine revved to over 3000rpm to be able to keep going.
mihai914
Maybe a bad ground also, you should consider cleaning the ground points.

Battery one of course.
Underneath the realay board on the driver's side engine wall.
Under the driver's side dash near the handle for the hood.
Ground points near each headlight motor.
Finally transmission ground strap.

Oh yes and the FI system ground, on the rear most bolt of the engine case.
ArtechnikA
it could also just be the ignition switch...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.