Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone able to weigh a stock 914 seat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Curious to see what you get. Have a claim that the Carrera GT seat was lighter.

But 914 seats were pretty light…
mepstein
I thought I remember it being 14lbs.
Jonathan Livesay
I weighed one I had in the shed and got 21 lbs. with the sliders. I am going to assume that the duct tape is equalized by the missing bits of vinyl. :-)
horizontally-opposed
^ Thanks, you two. Very helpful.

Claim is the Carrera GT seat is Porsche's lightest series production seat of all time, at 22.5 pounds (because subsequent seats have airbags).

But I find myself thinking about 356 Speedster and 914 seats…so I wanted to see what others have found. Need to dig into my own notes about the 987.2 buckets I used to swap in and out of the cars. Curious how those compare to the CGT buckets. I remember being impressed by how light they were in general, but disappointed by how little they saved for their cost.
mepstein
I received a scheel 300 seat on my fedex acct. I think it was 16lbs including the box. Similar fiberglass shell. The seats with a fiberglass shell will almost always be lighter than any metal framed seat. I moved about 100 different Porsche seats when we moved the shop and I know for sure the 914 seat is the lightest one out there. Much lighter than the 356 speedster seat (Had a pair of those. They are metal)

Edit - Found an old post that I had actually weight the seat.
16 for the seat
4 for the metal rails
7.5 for the metal base

So my older bathroom scale weigh in is pretty close to Jonathan's number. biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2019, 05:54 PM) *

I received a scheel 300 seat on my fedex acct. I think it was 16lbs including the box. Similar fiberglass shell. The seats with a fiberglass shell will almost always be lighter than any metal framed seat. I moved about 100 different Porsche seats when we moved the shop and I know for sure the 914 seat is the lightest one out there. Much lighter than the 356 speedster seat (Had a pair of those. They are metal)

16 for the seat
4 for the metal rails
7.5 for the metal base

So my older bathroom scale weigh in is pretty close to Jonathan's number. biggrin.gif

Hero status. smilie_pokal.gif

Well, in that case, the 914 seat with its rails appears to be heavier than the CGT seat, which was 22.5 pounds—though I need to ensure that's with mounts.

I believe the folding buckets for a Cayman R/Boxster Spyder/GT3/GT2 from the 987/997 era were into the 30s with mounts, and off to go find those notes…
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2019, 05:54 PM) *

16 for the seat
4 for the metal rails
7.5 for the metal base

I just used a newer bathroom scale for my measurement, it calculates % body fat too but I didn't think that was necessary here. smile.gif
Krieger
When I switched my stock seats to the OMP seats I weighed them both to compare. Stock seat with cushion, no rails/metal= 16lbs. OMP RS no mounting brackets= 16lbs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.