Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal & Installation of Center Caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
I just installed a new set of tires had them balanced and told them to not reinstall the old center caps as I have new replacements. I'd like to hear from you guys what method you use to remove and install the caps. My old ones are pretty beat up and wish to avoid the same fate on the new ones.

Thanks in advance

(Bonus points for pictures!!!)
mepstein
Go to Home Depot and buy pvc couplers that fit the id- to remove and the od- to install. Less than $5 for a hub cap “tool kit”.

Use a hammer or block of wood on the pvc to remove and install.

Always remove the caps before leaving it with your tire guy or he might use a screwdriver to pry them off. headbang.gif
Minerva's 914
EXCELLENT!!!

Thx guys

beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
I found a piece of PVC pipe coupler that, with a little sanding, can be used to remove and reinstall the center caps. Use one wheel and make sure that the small end will just fit in the hole in the center, and make sure that the large end will fit over the cap and only touch the lip on the cap.

I gave away a bunch of them at Okteenerfest in 2017.

And I would suggest that you don't let the tire monkeys remove the center caps. They just hammer the center to get them out, and you end up with a badly dented cap.

Ask me how I know....... dry.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Feb 25 2019, 09:44 PM) *

My old ones are pretty beat up and wish to avoid the same fate on the new ones.

My buddy made an inside die (IIRC) and with his press did a pretty good job of straightening his caps. Not perfect but good enough from 5 feet.

I've done similar taking dents out of PR tubes, straightening CV boot flanges, etc.
Rob-O
Are your replacements the Porsche thin metal variety or the aftermarkets 914Rubber type? I’m assuming the Porsche type. The 914Rubber ones are solid and can be safely installed with a soft rubber mallet.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 26 2019, 10:12 AM) *

My buddy made an inside die (IIRC) and with his press did a pretty good job of straightening his caps. Not perfect but good enough from 5 feet.

I've done similar taking dents out of PR tubes, straightening CV boot flanges, etc.

Hmmm, interesting, the caps coming off are the originals from 1973, I'd kinda like to restore those and keep them, even though I've spent the $$$.00 to replace them with factory replacements. More info PLEASE
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 26 2019, 11:51 AM) *

Are your replacements the Porsche thin metal variety or the aftermarkets 914Rubber type? I’m assuming the Porsche type. The 914Rubber ones are solid and can be safely installed with a soft rubber mallet.

Not 914Rubber, I ordered these from Suncoast Motorsport using the factory part number
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2019, 09:26 AM) *

I found a piece of PVC pipe coupler that, with a little sanding, can be used to remove and reinstall the center caps. Use one wheel and make sure that the small end will just fit in the hole in the center, and make sure that the large end will fit over the cap and only touch the lip on the cap.

I gave away a bunch of them at Okteenerfest in 2017.

And I would suggest that you don't let the tire monkeys remove the center caps. They just hammer the center to get them out, and you end up with a badly dented cap.

Ask me how I know....... dry.gif

Thanks, great advise. Yes, I delivered the wheels only to the shop, picked them up and reinstall them myself.
bbrock
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Feb 26 2019, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 26 2019, 10:12 AM) *

Hmmm, interesting, the caps coming off are the originals from 1973, I'd kinda like to restore those and keep them, even though I've spent the $$$.00 to replace them with factory replacements. More info PLEASE

Yes please! I have a whole bag of beat up caps I bought cheap thinking I could have a billet made to straighten them out. Would love to know more!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.