Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Crib Stands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiniStevieG
Nearing the start of my engine swap and I’ve got a lot to live for so safety is of the utmost importance. I’ve got two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, and I’m going to be building some cribs stands tonight for additional peace of mind. The crib stands I’m going to build will be 16”x16” and 12” high so I’m thinking that’ll be sufficient unless anyone thinks a different size would be better I’m wondering how high these crib stands need to be to comfortably remove the engine after I’ve lowered it using my tangerine racing lift plate mounted on my low profile floor jack. Thanks y’all!!

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 26 2019, 06:30 PM) *

Nearing the start of my engine swap and I’ve got a lot to live for so safety is of the utmost importance. I’ve got two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, and I’m going to be building some cribs stands tonight for additional peace of mind. The crib stands I’m going to build will be 16”x16” and 12” high so I’m thinking that’ll be sufficient unless anyone thinks a different size would be better I’m wondering how high these crib stands need to be to comfortably remove the engine after I’ve lowered it using my tangerine racing lift plate mounted on my low profile floor jack. Thanks y’all!!

Click to view attachment

You'll never get a Jaguar engine out using that equipment.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 26 2019, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 26 2019, 06:30 PM) *

You'll never get a Jaguar engine out using that equipment.

Had to do a double take on that haha!! That’s just a reference pic I found
I’m now wondering if 12”W X 24”D is a better size here for my 914
Chris914n6
crib stands go under the wheels. jack stands go under the chassis. it's one or the other as removing the engine will unload the chassis and lift it off the jack stands.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 26 2019, 07:10 PM) *

crib stands go under the wheels. jack stands go under the chassis. it's one or the other as removing the engine will unload the chassis and lift it off the jack stands.

Yep I’ll be using the crib stands and gonna set up the jack stands on jack points to provide necessary support should something go wrong. You think 12”W x 24”D is the way to go? Also I’m wondering if 12”H is good?
Cheers!!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 26 2019, 05:45 PM) *

Yep I’ll be using the crib stands and gonna set up the jack stands on jack points to provide necessary support should something go wrong. You think 12”W x 24”D is the way to go? Also I’m wondering if 12”H is good?
Cheers!!

I use a totally different method. I think it needs 2ft under the bumper to clear.
MiniStevieG
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 26 2019, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 26 2019, 05:45 PM) *

Cheers!!

I use a totally different method. I think it needs 2ft under the bumper to clear.

Getting it done in the shop tonight!

Click to view attachment
BillC
RaceRamps makes structural-foam wheel cribs. Here's a link to some on amazon. They are available in multiple heights. I bought two pairs years ago, and they work great -- very strong and far lighter than wooden ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.