Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 e-brake concerns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smrz914
So I've been looking at parts and and see that I probably will not be able to use the dust shield (or protective plate as PET calls it) that mounts to the backing plate (or supportive plate on PET). If it did have the dust shield the E-brake cable could not exit underneath the controle arm. So qustion 1 is if the protective plate is necessary.

The next thing is that i'm assuming that the hubs need to be taken out. So question 2 is: Is it possible to do this without destroying the bearing? They arn't that old and I would like to save 40 bucks. But if it's easier to replace them then i'll do that.

Then the final question is what calipers should I try and get.

Thanks,

736conver
Yes the hubs need to come out. Doubt you can save the bearing. It almost always gets destroyed.
smrz914
Oh i remembered another thing i was going to ask. I'm assuming the squareish bearing cover gets replaced by the 911 backing plate (supportive plate). Is this right? It seems much thinner then the 914 bearing cover. Is this safe?
smrz914
Yea, thats what I figured Brian. Thanks.
andys
To try and save the bearing, you can, after removing the the wheel hub, is to heat the bearing carrier housing with a torch to where it's hot to the touch. It may come out very easily, or maybe not, but it's easy to do and worth a try. Some of the press-fit's of the bearing to housing can be fairly light, so you may get lucky......with that method, one side of mine came out with some *very slight* tappping. Any more persuading than that, and you better replace the bearing.

I don't know about the early 911 stuff, but the later 911 trailing arms use a larger bearing, and the hole pattern in the bearing retainer plate and backing plate are different (larger) than the 914.

Andy
smrz914
I don't think I need to take the bearing out all the way. I just need to get the hub out. So could one leave the Bearing retainer plate in and work out the hub? The 911 stuff i'm using will be from a 73 or earlier. And the calipers can be even later then that acording to the parts guy.

I hope people arn't over looking the other questions I had. I have a place to get parts
Mueller
QUOTE (smrz914 @ Jun 22 2005, 12:24 PM)
I don't think I need to take the bearing out all the way. I just need to get the hub out. So could one leave the Bearing retainer plate in and work out the hub? The 911 stuff i'm using will be from a 73 or earlier. And the calipers can be even later then that acording to the parts guy.

I hope people arn't over looking the other questions I had. I have a place to get parts

sometimes when removing the hub, the outer bearing race comes out as well...it can be put back in if you are carefull, the hard part is removing the race from the hub.

some grinding will be needed on the trailing arm, just make sure you cover the bearings when grinding..............

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.