Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vertical Spare w/ A/C ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Is there enough room to mount the spare tire vertically if you have an A/C condensor mounted in the frunk floor? The spare would be wearing a porsche "space saver" tire.. and I'd probably assume the typical vertical bracket (that someone here is offering) would not work. My car is in storage at the moment and I have not sourced the condensor yet, so I can not take measurements. Anyone have an idea?
BeatNavy
popcorn[1].gif

I am sort of in the same boat. I have all the A/C stuff and was planning on installing it when it gets a little warmer. I had not given the spare too much thought - yet, but I am interested as well. My condenser is a modern variety that does not have the big hump on it like the DPD model squirrel cage, so I'm optimistic I can make the full size spare work without too much effort, verticallyy or otherwise.
mepstein
If A/C is going to go in no matter what, I would install it and then borrow someone's spare to see what works. After the a/c install, it might just be obvious either way. Or if borrowing a spare is a hassle, get the spare dimensions and make a cardboard "spare" to check fit. Along those lines, you could make a cardboard template for the a/c and play around with fit.
aturboman
Yes it works; it’s exactly how I’m running my A/C; front condenser (modern version on the OE part) and vertical space saver spare behind it.

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 28 2019, 06:46 AM) *

Is there enough room to mount the spare tire vertically if you have an A/C condensor mounted in the frunk floor? The spare would be wearing a porsche "space saver" tire.. and I'd probably assume the typical vertical bracket (that someone here is offering) would not work. My car is in storage at the moment and I have not sourced the condensor yet, so I can not take measurements. Anyone have an idea?

Literati914
QUOTE(aturboman @ Feb 28 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Yes it works; it’s exactly how I’m running my A/C; front condenser (modern version on the OE part) and vertical space saver spare behind it.

Man, I'd love to see a picture - could you post one? ..also, you guys are saying "modern condensor" - I know of the two original type but is the modern ones shorter? Thx.
Chris914n6
With both 'dealer installed' versions of the condenser, the factory spare tire mounts flat on top.
ClayPerrine
Just an FYI...

The collapsible space saver spares have not been made since the 80s. Unless the manufacturer has made a run of replacements, they are all dry rotted and unsafe to use.

I wouldn't use one. I value my life more than that.
bandjoey
there is a spare tire mount is also in the rear trunk.
Literati914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 28 2019, 01:24 PM) *

With both 'dealer installed' versions of the condenser, the factory spare tire mounts flat on top.

Yes, already well aware of that - guess I should have mentioned it. The original question still stands tho.
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 28 2019, 01:56 PM) *

Just an FYI...

The collapsible space saver spares have not been made since the 80s. Unless the manufacturer has made a run of replacements, they are all dry rotted and unsafe to use.

The age of the used ones are something I'd briefly considered, then quickly convinced myself I'd never get a flat anyway screwy.gif . So, you point is a good one and I do agree on the safety part. I really had no idea that a new one couldn't be purchased and was basically seeing if they'd even work with an A/C installed (higher priority for me than a cool spare). My assumption is that full-size def would not fit standing - could someone with an A/C condensor take a quick measurement ?
Literati914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 28 2019, 02:00 PM) *

there is a spare tire mount is also in the rear trunk.

Yea I know but I like getting the weight between the axles if possible - especially since i'm adding a condensor/ac weight. Not a huge deal if not tho.
VG-914
How often have you even used a spare?? I stopped buying a tire for mine... just have the wheel stored. Keep an active AAA card and a can of fix a flat...
That being said. Who needs AC?? I'm in Phoenix and don't have it! Still love getting the 914 out... granted, its not my daily! shades.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(VG-914 @ Feb 28 2019, 02:27 PM) *

That being said. Who needs AC?? I'm in Phoenix and don't have it! Still love getting the 914 out... granted, its not my daily! shades.gif

After driving two different 914s as daily drivers, over two years each in N. Texas heat/ humidity.. I decided my next would have it, thank you very much smoke.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 28 2019, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(VG-914 @ Feb 28 2019, 02:27 PM) *

After driving two different 914s as daily drivers, over two years each in N. Texas heat/ humidity.. I decided my next would have it, thank you very much smoke.gif

Betty's has AC, and it works great. It is her daily driver, and showing up at work sweaty is not a good idea.

ClayPerrine
As for the spare, a stock rim with a new tire fits the front or rear trunk fine. Betty's has a 205/50-15 on a 4 lug fuchs for the spare, and it fits in the front trunk with the AC condenser. Granted, it sits higher, so the board is level with the latch, but it still fits.

BeatNavy
I vowed to put it in this year so I could get more driving time. I'm driving the car less in the winter now, as I have seen the effects of brine and salt on everything underneath. Drives me crazy to see how fast things can rust.

Then it gets pretty damn muggy in the mid Atlantic July through September. I want to enjoy driving my car in the summer, not just the 2 weeks of nice weather in the Fall and Spring.
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 28 2019, 03:59 PM) *

I vowed to put it in this year so I could get more driving time. I'm driving the car less in the winter now, as I have seen the effects of brine and salt on everything underneath. Drives me crazy to see how fast things can rust.

Then it gets pretty damn muggy in the mid Atlantic July through September. I want to enjoy driving my car in the summer, not just the 2 weeks of nice weather in the Fall and Spring.

agree.gif !!!
Chris914n6
I have a boxster spare in the rear trunk. Aluminum wheel, maybe weighs 15lbs.

I'd rather have a spare than wait for AAA on the side of a highway/mountain road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.