Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Froggy...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
Click to view attachment

They keep going up... and new 'moth balled' cars are still being found. 17,000 miles
Strange that the original owner took off the factory fuchs and replaced them with steel wheels.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25219/lot/236/
jagalyn
Another...
Click to view attachment

13,000 miles... They saved it for the 'next guy'.

Love the color... Delphi Metallic Green is a favorite.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-f...14/2227002.html
Tom_T
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 28 2019, 06:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Strange that the original owner took off the factory fuchs and replaced they with steel wheels.

jagalyn,

Starting in the 74 MY, the Fuchs were an extra cost option or in the extra cost Performance/Sport Group of options (also at extra cost). So this one probably had neither of those to have the alloys, but you can't know unless they have the window sticker or COA (a correct one) showing the original equipment.

Only the 73 MY had included the Appearance & Performance/Sport Groups of options in the base price, & then that changed around March of 1973, when they increased the price from around $5300 to $7500 with all included on the 2.0s. The 1.7 & 1.8 always had it as an extra cost for Alloys (Pedrini, Mahle &/or Fuchs 4-lugs).

It's a crazy high price, & I'd certainly want verification & documentation that it's a true 17K miles car!

PS - Although mine is not a low miles pristine 73 2.0 - maybe the price appreciation means that I won't be under water with my resto/repair - or maybe not as far under! blink.gif biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jagalyn

Tom, Thanks for the info.
It says in the description that the original owner took off the fuchs and replaced them... thought that was weird.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 28 2019, 06:37 PM) *

Tom, Thanks for the info.
It says in the description that the original owner took off the fuchs and replaced them... though that was weird.

It wouldn't be the first time that the auctioneer's description was wrong!

It's more likely to have been sold with steelies, but only the window sticker &/or COA will tell for sure.

If it is missing the original Fuchs wheels (or perhaps Mahles?), then it will be harder to reach their ambitious estimate, with it being incomplete & incorrect from the factory fitment - which is all important for the buyers of these garage queens.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Okay, after reading their description again, I this is the same 914 which our own member tod914 reconditioned, & his topic on it is on here somewhere. He did the same refresh to a Bahia Red/Black 73 2.0 & a silver 74 2.0 - before Froggy.

Excellent work on all 3! smilie_pokal.gif

I think that he's since moved from NJ to CO IIRC, & don't know if he's active on the forums now.

My Dad used to work at Koppers in Monroeville PA (Bethel Park) during the 1950s-62, then we all moved to San Diego in `63. So I recall talking with him about where Froggy came from. As you can tell from my sig - I'm still a PGH guy!

Anyone seriously considering bidding on Froggy should do their research on here, & contact him for the true story details.

tod914 -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=170

Froggy -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=13870

PS - Sorry, but I don't have the link to his actual topic, but maybe a VIN search on google or something will turn it up.

It looks like Bonhams just lifted the description from Tod's description. I questioned the wheel swap with Tod, but he'll know if there was documentation, if an interested party emailed or PM'ed him on the car.

Apparently he's gone to the Brit "dark side" with a TR7 "Wedgy"! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
iankarr
Wow. My car is froggy’s twin. With more miles. Can’t wait to see how this plays out...
jagalyn
There are quite a few exceptional 914's out there but they seem to be hitting the stratosphere with some of their pricing... I just think of how much money I would have in my pocket if I would have just held on to the ten 914's I've had over the years.

Glad to currently have a good original car... wouldn't trade or sell it for anything.

Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me three times shame on me.
Fool me four times shame on me.
Fool me five times shame on me.
Fool me six times shame on me.
Fool me seven times shame on me.
Fool me eight times shame on me.
Fool me nine times shame on me.

Fool me ten times ...

NOT going to happen.

I've learned my lesson.
mtndawg
With a bigger garage and bigger bank account you can keep them all.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Like the Jackie Wilson song: "higher and higher". ! Don't sell your 914 if you have a good one you will regret it!

Matsuda black limited edition
2004 vw ultima edition
red 76 11,000 mile
missing motor trend 71 914 currently at the porsche museum
white 10.000 mile 74
white limited edition purported to be one of the best Click to view attachment

I am so happy that I never sold these cars when people made offers.Click to view attachment
budk
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 28 2019, 08:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

They keep going up... and new 'moth balled' cars are still being found. 17,000 miles
Strange that the original owner took off the factory fuchs and replaced them with steel wheels.

I’m pretty sure that this is the car that I did a PPI on back around 2011/2012. It was nice but not perfect. I know what it sold for then..... huge appreciation since then.
Tom_T
Another thing to note about "Froggy" given the history which I & others have posted, is that the current seller is at least the 3rd owner - OO, tod914, whomever he sold it to next. And there may be another owner or more after that, since it's been several years since Tod sold it, & it could be a Flipper victim at this point.

Also note that it says "No Reserve" on the $80-100K estimate - so far from guaranteed to hit that ambitious mark!

The unfortunate thing is that these high priced queens stop being driven & enjoyed, as do other nice examples, due to the high cost & need to preserve their condition as frozen in time, in order to maintain their lofty values.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
FYI - More past topics info related to Froggy on here -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...914+2.0+Ravenna

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...200353&st=0

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=13870

Note that the VIN of the Bonhams Ravenna is definitely Tod's former 74 2L.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jagalyn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2019, 12:35 PM) *

The unfortunate thing is that these high priced queens stop being driven & enjoyed, as do other nice examples, due to the high cost & need to preserve their condition as frozen in time, in order to maintain their lofty values.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I agree.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's...

I used to have a 74 Delphi Metallic Green 2.0 with 18,350 miles on it. Bought it from Brad Mayuer. Paid $8750. Owned it for 5 years and never drove it.

So I sold it to a friend. A few years later I decided that was a mistake and so I bought it back and never drove it. Paid $11,000. Owned it for 3 years.

So I sold it to another friend. Decided that was another mistake and bought it back... and never drove it. Paid $12,500 Owned it for a few more years.

Finally sold it to someone on the east coast and have not seen it since. Good thing, I'd probably buy it back. Probably worth $25-$40,000 now.

The problem with the low mile cars is the low miles... you just don't want to drive them because it will decrease their value.
The most fun I've had with 914's is when the mileage is not a factor in the condition of the car.
That makes them usable and blast to drive.

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 1 2019, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2019, 12:35 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I agree.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's...

I used to have a 74 Delphi Metallic Green 2.0 with 18,350 miles on it. Bought it from Brad Mayuer. Paid $8750. Owned it for 5 years and never drove it.

So I sold it to a friend. A few years later I decided that was a mistake and so I bought it back and never drove it. Paid $11,000. Owned it for 3 years.

So I sold it to another friend. Decided that was another mistake and bought it back... and never drove it. Paid $12,500 Owned it for a few more years.

Finally sold it to someone on the east coast and have not seen it since. Good thing, I'd probably buy it back. Probably worth $25-$40,000 now.

The problem with the low mile cars is the low miles... you just don't want to drive them because it will decrease their value.
The most fun I've had with 914's is when the mileage is not a factor in the condition of the car.
That makes them usable and blast to drive.

Click to view attachment

Nice car and sorry for your loss!

I hope to have my mistress until the end smile.gif

RenoRoger
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 28 2019, 05:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

One downdraft carburetor and they call that original, unrestored and unmolested!!!
poorsche914
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Mar 2 2019, 04:29 AM) *
One downdraft carburetor and they call that original, unrestored and unmolested!!!

The features list is incorrect. The car has proper d-jet system as shown in pictures.

driving.gif
Jaymann
yeah I remember this car for sure,lots of time spent on the details,after it was bought.
KELTY360
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 1 2019, 04:47 PM) *

"decrease their value" should read "decrease their monetary value."

You correctly express the enjoyment of driving a 914. That enjoyment can also be expressed as value. So, if you're not driving it you are also decreasing it's value. I think this is what's meant as a value judgement.
r_towle
The speedo only goes to 100k
Every car I have seen has flipped over at least once.
I am very skeptical of any to claim otherwise.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2019, 02:58 PM) *

I have a 38K mile car. Unfortunately, it's time that wore it out, not milage.
I agree with Kelty, The value in our cars is driving enjoyment.

I'm just not as fascinated with high asking prices as some. If you think about it, grossing $80K after 50 years and probably lots of expenses isn't really all that great.
iankarr
agree.gif
To me, the real "appreciation" is appreciation of these cars and being able to look at, ride in and enjoy rolling works of art.
Tom_T
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Mar 2 2019, 01:29 AM) *

It's not carb'ed - it still has the 2L EFI if you look at the engine bay pix.

That's not the only thing that either Bonhams &/or the seller put in wrong either!

For example:

73-74 2L's were 95 HP (DIN) 91 HP (SAE) - NOT 99 HP as listed

The 2L is 1971cc - not 1970

According to Tod, it was originally in Bethel Park, not Monroeville PA.

But why quibble when you can check facts with the pix & the links which I provided above.

FYI all - Tod said that the seller is the same person to whom he sold it back in 2012-ish IIRC. So it's a 17K+ mile 3 owner car.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2019, 11:58 AM) *

This one is one of the few known & documented ones Rich. Tod/tod914 on here did his homework before buying it, & doing the refurb work.

I'm not sure what the final selling price was on Froggy when Tod sold it, but here's one of the listings from +/- 2012-ish when he sold it IIRC (it may have been later, not sure).

http://www.2040-cars.com/Porsche/914/1974-...urs-car-128703/

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
This guy could barely give away his low mile car (36k) until I purchased it for less than half his asking price.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=153971&hl=
KELTY360
Auction report says it sold for $80,000.

Another data point in the rise of 914 prices. It wasn't very long ago that people were talking about 914s following the path of 356 prices. They may have been on to something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.