Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VOLTAGE REGULATORS --WHY DIFFERENCE IN PRICE?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
OK....I get it.... if you buy cheap, you get what you paid for.

BUT!!

Why would a voltage regulator for a 914 cost from

BERU=$28
HELLA=$44
BOSCH=$300!!!

I get that maybe a filter or materials are better in one over the other, but AT WHAT POINT it really makes a difference between a $300 vs a $28?

Am I missing something?

Don't they ALL the same thing?

If my alternator is faulty, it will kill ANY of them regulators.... would it not?
The output from any of them should be same...

Please, enlighten me with your knowledge, since I need to buy one.... and I could get 10 for the BERU vs 1 of the BOSCH!!!

Thank you for the help as always!

Felix
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Biggest problem with the non Bosch replacement stuff is they do not fit and they do not seem to last. I have not tried the Beru voltage regulator but the Hella does not fit. I still have 5 NOS Bosch Large hole VR's coming in next week. $55each shipped.
R8CERX
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 1 2019, 07:29 PM) *

Biggest problem with the non Bosch replacement stuff is they do not fit and they do not seem to last. I have not tried the Beru voltage regulator but the Hella does not fit. I still have 5 NOS Bosch Large hole VR's coming in next week. $55each shipped.

Thank you!

$55 for BOSCH? NOS? what is the difference from the OEM? ($300)-- I just don't get the differences?
MarkV
The difference is that the Bosch VR is mechanical and relies on magnetic coils with contact points to operate. The points and moving parts at some point fail. They also may be more prone to heat cycle or moisture.

The cheap replacement VR's are solid state and don't have any moving parts. I believe they work with a zener diode and some resistors. They are cheap to make and are usually quite a bit smaller.

I put a $25 one on my car over 10 years ago and it works fine. It is in a small potted metal case with a pigtail that plugs into the relay board.

The VR components are so small that on modern cars they are built into the alternator. Unless you want the Bosch for originality there is no reason to pay more for it. confused24.gif
Olympic 914
The original VR produced a lot of heat. that is why some of the relay plates are cooked in that area. even though there is a vent hole below the VR.

The Beru unit is solid state and doesn't product much, if any heat. the downside is you will have to modify the holes a little to fit your relay plate and may also have to trim the relay plate cover a little bit

I have a Beru unit on now and carry a Bosch I bought at Hershey as a backup.

No problems.
914Sixer
The new solid state Bosch ones are small and have a stupid price. The old mechanical ones are just as good.
R8CERX
AWESOME!

I did talkt to autoatlanta folks and they also confirmed that the BOSCH price is really for those that want to keep the original type look.....

I think I will keep one as the original, and the cheap ones to use for daily stuff....

Thank you ALL for your advise!

Cheers
piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
GeorgeRud
If you have an old time auto electric shop around, the original ones can be adjusted. However, the solid state ones seem to work fine and are small enough to carry a spare if desired. I think being able to swap out a voltage regulator in 5 minutes is preferable to pulling out an alternator (especially on a -6).
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 2 2019, 04:29 PM) *

agree.gif ,the Hella ones aren't a good fit @ all,the mounting holes aren't in the right place for instance,never opened it up to see but don't think it was solid state,replaced it with the Bosch one as above,I didn't really trust the made in China Hella one besides,wonder if anyone has had one fail early in life ?.
R8CERX
Correct
the BERHU works fine--$27 but holes are not aligned--but good to have as back ups

the HELLA--will not buy--don't like the plastic look

The BOSCH, depends what country is made--- so KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL ones and rebuild as needed or if possible as suggested.

But ALL do the same work... now I know!

NOTE TO SELF--don't test with your $300 dollar voltage regulator!! buy the cheap ones and test with them!!

Cheers
FElix
nickg
last I checked, the Bosch VR were like $55 from Olympus Auto Parts..FYI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.