Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing a transmission that pops out of first gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning. I picked up a spare gearbox this week that well occasionally pop out of first gear, before I dive in I want to get some thoughts on the most weekly cost of that and what parts I should have on hand to address it.

Dogtooth and/or slider? I am sure the “while I am in there” listen will grow.

Thanks!
mepstein
I really think you should take it apart and see what's worn or broken before you buy parts. Guys on this site can give you a lot of feedback if you pull the stack and take some good pics.

Just make sure the first gear issue is a trans issue before you yank it.
mlindner
Tdskip, I'm not an expert but I would check all the bushings and adjustment first. I had worn out dog teeth and slider on first....but it never popped out of first gear. Best, Mark
Tdskip
Good morning. Thanks, as always, for the thoughtful response.

It’s already been pulled from the car so I don’t really have a way of testing whether or not it was a linkage issue. In chatting with Gabe about it he suggested that if it was linkage that there’d be issues in the other gears as well, which makes sense.

I’ll hold off ordering anything until I get it opened up and share a bunch of pictures.

Thanks!

r_towle
Put it in first gear by hand on the bench.
You will feel it.
Then pull the rear cover and you will notice the teeth on first are no longer pointed, and it’s irregular.
That’s why it does it sometimes and not all the time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.