Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone know what is this ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
young55961
HI there,

Does anyone know what is this ? I can't any information.
Thank you.
Billy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mzi3rPE3uE...rWXCukeSXt/view

IPB Image
Chi-town
emissions timer for 75-76 cars
drem914
Was the timer/counter installed in all cars or just those that came in through California?
Mine didn't have one and did not have a Cat converter either. Don't know if this was something the PO did or if it was a difference between CA and the other 49 states.
Chris914n6
It was only on cars with cats and cats were only on 75-76 cars in CA.

You won't be able to find a new speedo cable in those shorter sizes so eventually it will end up in the junk box.
rgalla9146
Based on mileage (15,000 ?) it turned on the EGR (exhaust gas recurculation) light on the dash. Push in the white button on the side (not visible in pic) ...clunk....light off for another 15,000
IronHillRestorations
I have a NOS speedo cable for a 914 with that
drem914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 2 2019, 11:38 AM) *
It was only on cars with cats and cats were only on 75-76 cars in CA.
Makes sense, mine came in through Chicago." Porsche/Audi at O'Hare"
young55961
Can I just bypass that box and connect the cable direct from Transmission to the speedometer ?

No smog is require for 75 and old in CA.

Chi-town
Yep, unplug it and install a regular speedo cable. I have a cable if you need one
eyesright
Yeah, when I saw that on my '76 -- and after figuring it out -- I just shook my head and trashed it. I doesn't do anything except take engineering time and money and somehow gets it past the legislators who don't know any better but think they actually did some good in life.
malcolm2
I removed the box in my 75. Found a metal '73 gauge bezel and speedo cable. Don't remember what I did with the lights and wiring, it might all still be hanging. Or maybe I pulled it all out.

Didn't use my seat sensors either. Left the "fasten seat belt light" tho.
malcolm2
double post
drem914
QUOTE(eyesright @ Mar 4 2019, 07:03 PM) *

Yeah, when I saw that on my '76 -- and after figuring it out -- I just shook my head and trashed it. I doesn't do anything except take engineering time and money and somehow gets it past the legislators who don't know any better but think they actually did some good in life.

40+ years later and still no difference between then and now. poke.gif Political commentary over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.