Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 2.2 Oil Cooler Ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kupcar
I’m looking for some ideas on adding an oil cooler to my 914-6 gt clone. The car currently has a 2.2s spec motor running without an external oil cooler. Temperature has never been an issue, but it seems like a good idea to have some extra cooling. I’m not interested in cutting up the front trunk at the moment. There doesn’t look like enough room to mount one in the front nose without doing so. What other options are available? Thanks in advance.
mepstein
There are threads on rear cooler installs.
But if your car runs at the correct temp, I wouldn't touch it.
Racer
Ive seen them mounted under the trunk, in the trunk and along the engine lid. Short of that, they are run up front for the most efficient and "authentic" location.
mb911
A 2.2 doesn't require extra cooling. I would be happy to help with the front cooler setup but just not required.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
not needed for a 2.2 unless racing it heavily, Only 2.7 and up need an external oil cooler, do not spend the money and or cut up your car

QUOTE(kupcar @ Mar 2 2019, 09:06 AM) *

I’m looking for some ideas on adding an oil cooler to my 914-6 gt clone. The car currently has a 2.2s spec motor running without an external oil cooler. Temperature has never been an issue, but it seems like a good idea to have some extra cooling. I’m not interested in cutting up the front trunk at the moment. There doesn’t look like enough room to mount one in the front nose without doing so. What other options are available? Thanks in advance.

kupcar
I’ve seen a few rear cooler installations. Mostly for bigger type IV motors. I was wondering if it was worth the effort to plumb something into the fender. I understand that the location is far from ideal. It is amazing to me that everything stays relatively cool using solely the engine oil cooler. I even double checked my gauge for accuracy. I guess until I decide to open the nose up and do it correctly, the consensus is leave it alone. One less thing on the “to do” list! I appreciate everyone’s input.
thelogo
What is your oil compassity like 12 -15 quarts or something

I imagine that has something to do with keeping the engine cool
mepstein
QUOTE(kupcar @ Mar 2 2019, 02:32 PM) *

I’ve seen a few rear cooler installations. Mostly for bigger type IV motors. I was wondering if it was worth the effort to plumb something into the fender. I understand that the location is far from ideal. It is amazing to me that everything stays relatively cool using solely the engine oil cooler. I even double checked my gauge for accuracy. I guess until I decide to open the nose up and do it correctly, the consensus is leave it alone. One less thing on the “to do” list! I appreciate everyone’s input.

I almost bought a narrow body 3.2 (seller took a higher offer after we shook hands on the deal) that ran fine without an aux cooler. We took an hour long drive in the summer and he didn’t baby it a bit. Some engines just run cool. Nothing wrong with that. There’s always money to be spent elsewhere.
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 2 2019, 04:21 PM) *

What is your oil compassity like 12 -15 quarts or something

I imagine that has something to do with keeping the engine cool

About 9 quarts. More oil may take longer to warm up but it doesn’t cool the engine any better unless the heat is transferred out of the oil with a cooler.
IronHillRestorations
When in doubt shoot the oil tank with a non contact IR thermometer, your true oil temp will let you know if you really need more oil cooling.

Here's another approach: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=oil+cooler
gereed75
I researched every thread I could find. There are three rear mounted options each with its pros and cons

1) horizontal under the trunk floor - fairly easy to do with minimal car cutting. Works with a good fan.

2) in the right rear fender ala Perry - no personal experience but I really think this is a great way to do it - min car cutting, clean and effective.

3) under the rear engine cover - really like this setup as it requires no fan and no car cutting. Some think there is a net zero improvement in cooling efficiency. I don’t agree. And it is endorsed by Henry Schmidt :-)

I chose 1) with a fan and an elaborate duct/plenum that worked very well and I figured a way to do it with zero car cutting. (Here is a thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=314444&hl= ). I did not include a pressure relief/thermostat and blew the cooler on a very cold day due to overpressuring the cooler on start up. I abandoned the whole thing and returned to stock. No cooler Works fine for street driving. 2.4S motor.

All three take about the same dollars and work. Doing it over I would probably do 3). Probably simplest, cheapest as it requires no fan or thermostatic switch, and fits well.

Takes some thought and engineering to do iany of the three right to includie cold start pressure relief.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.