Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this fixable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I’ve never tried to fix one but if I had to guess on the type of plastic I would think it’s probably ABS. You might try to use the black ABS pipe glue from any hardware store. If you can find some ABS sheet plastic to fabricate some backing pieces and try gluing it. Make sure the surface is clean before gluing. I would rough up the surfaces with heavy grit sand paper. Also I would do a test to make sure the glue will bond. Good luck, post pictures if it works.
Jsaum
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes there are several products out there, go to your local auto body paint shop and ask

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Mar 2 2019, 09:25 AM) *

r_towle
You can “weld” plastic.
Torch and stick of plastic

Your local auto body paint supply store can help.
Tom_T
914Rubber also sells a nice repro early rain tray (70-73 MY) with the hardware bits, if you can't or decide not to fix it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
daytona
Yes, that can be plastic welded.
Almost any body shop has a plastic welder these days. Find one in your area and have them do it for you. They can match many types of plastic.
Good luck.
Bill.
jsh
Did mine with fiberglass, sanded then matte black paint. Looks good
Mikey914
Can it be “fixed”, yes it can. The problem is the plastic is old and brittle. So even though you “patch” it, your just waiting for the plastic around the patch to break. If your goal is originality. Patch it and put it on the shelf for your concours judging.

Meanwhile if you want a functioning tray that’s actually slightly heavier plastic. This is what you want.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...ent-rain-tray-1

Have both listed above $88 for the late (which can be retrofitted), $110 for the early. It’s textured like OEM and you’ll have a hard time telling the difference other than it’s not cracked and broken.

If you need the metal tabs to mount you’ll need to order off the old site until we get the listing revised.

https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Early-rain-t...m?categoryId=-1

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.