Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any advice on replacing the front trunk floor pan and latch panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billium01
Hello thanks for looking. Gonna replace the front trunk floor pan and the panel that the front bumper attaches too. Restoration designs calls it the "latch panel". On the picture I posted it's panel number 13. Any advice on doing this without a celette bench?

Thanks

Bill

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment sawzall-smiley.gif
r_towle
You need to hold the car in place somehow.
Build a frame out of tall (in profile) boxed steel, or I beams.
Weld stands from that to both sides...so a piece of square tubing the same length from the ibeam to the rear firewall seam.
Basically, attach the car, parallel and ideally level to the beam.

billium01
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2019, 11:46 AM) *

You need to hold the car in place somehow.
Build a frame out of tall (in profile) boxed steel, or I beams.
Weld stands from that to both sides...so a piece of square tubing the same length from the ibeam to the rear firewall seam.
Basically, attach the car, parallel and ideally level to the beam.

Thanks! Appreciate it. Ended up buying one of these. Looks like it'll work ok huh?

Click to view attachment
914werke
Does the replacement "pan" already have the front suspension mounts & rear tube mounts installed?
billium01
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 2 2019, 04:54 PM) *

Does the replacement "pan" already have the front suspension mounts & rear tube mounts installed?

Click to view attachment

No it does not. I bought the suspension mounts and reinforcement metal as well though. The rear front suspension cross member attachment points will remain in place. Very nice piece from restoration designs I might ad. Something I should watch out for?

Mark Henry
RD also has the front A-arm mounts for the pan.
Make a jig like stoddarts before you start, cut out all of the old part and the pan centers itself, then use the jig to weld in the front A-arm mounts.
If you have a scrap set of A-arms you could use them as part of your jig.

My son has that same RD piece and the mounts for his project, please post a thread on your pan replacement when you do the deed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.