Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How I spent my weekend not working on the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Wow, what a blast. I just got back from California Speedway this weekend (running the infield road course), but not with the 914 - my Dad and I rented Caterham 7s.

http://www.caterham.co.uk/showroom/index.htm

I've always liked 7s, and have toyed with the idea of getting one (probably to replace the 356 [my ~2000 mi/year car]), but had never driven one. The 7 certainly makes a not-so-good driver (me) look very good! My Dad and I were the only 7s and we were always 1-2 in our group, which included a 996TT, Viper, 83 Euro 930, C5s, an M3, A4, spec Miata. Many of these were dedicated track vehicles.

Ours had 208 HP Ford Duratec engines (new Ford Focus), and were 1250 lbs (wet, no driver). 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, and crazy handling.

Impressions: the Caterham is a no compromise vehicle. Performance is the only thing it does, but it does it very well (but they are still street legal). In comparison, the 914 is a comfortable, quiet, fast, heavy GT ride.

Attached is a not so great picture, but you get the idea. Anyways, off topic, but thought some of you may be interested. As ours were configured, they are about $38k new. The rental service we used was: http://www.autocourseinc.com/
mike_the_man
A buddy of mine built his own 7. Tube frame chassis, coil over suspension, carbon fibre body, and a 175hp Honda Fireblade engine with a six speed sequnetial transmission, and a 50hp shot of nitrous to top it all off. The car weighs around 800lbs, I believe, and it's street legal too. Very fast, and he wins all the autocrosses around here. And it's for sale. A very cool car, but a little too British for me. He's a big Lotus freak, though. No accounting for some taste.
seanery
The Lotus part is ok. It's the Honda part that bothers me! barf.gif
thesey914
How can it be too British?
I was talking to a rep of Caterham at the Birmingham motor show and he said that in those sequential bike engined sevens, the way reverse works is by flipping the final drive or something.....so you can have all six gears in reverse too!
He said they held the record for the fastest reversing car. laugh.gif
Jeroen
A friend of mine has Dax Rush (super seven kitcar) with a 2 liter Ford Cosworth turbo engine in it. The engine makes about 350hp and the car weighs in a little over 1100#

The sensation of the car is just absolutly awesome. Accell is brutal and sitting so close to the road sure adds to it.
The 2 feet flames it threw on off-trottle are cool too biggrin.gif

Highspeed driving without a full face helmet is impossible. The airspeed make you gasp for air...

If I were ever to get sportscar that's not a Porsche, it would be very high on my wishlist MDB2.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Awesome Steve...

Its all about fun.. and I have found there are many ways to have fun without the 914.

Can you describe the handling.. like lift-throttle.. things like that ??

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.