Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp gauge not working. Sensor wire or sender? Location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
My friend did a lot of rust repair, we put in a new floor pan, he worked on a small hell hole repair, and we had totally destroyed rocker panels we replaced and everything welded in and rust treated. Frame and structure is like brand new. Now, once we hooked up all the wires, only gauge that does not work is the temperature gauge. Might it be a plug in the engine? Or a sensor? If so where is the wire in the engine bay for the engine temp? I have heard under the battery tray? I know they sell new sensors that plug in. This is a 1973 2.0 engine in a 1976 2.0. Any pictures where I should look, might just be a bad wire we broke or needs a new sensor.

All help is appreciated. Gets in the high 90s in the Colorado summer and need to monitor the engine temp. This is not an oil temp as some might think I have a 914-6 engine swap. Just a normal 2.0 4 cylinder air cooled temp sender or sensor.

V/R
Mark
914Sixer
Senders and gauges rarely fail. Check your wire, probably brittle from the heat. Runs from the taco plate to plug in under battery tray in main harness.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
usually the wire gets clipped between the connection right in front of the battery on the main harness, and the left front bottom of the engine at the sending unit and plate. Green wire with a black stripe

QUOTE(carcus @ Mar 4 2019, 10:43 PM) *

My friend did a lot of rust repair, we put in a new floor pan, he worked on a small hell hole repair, and we had totally destroyed rocker panels we replaced and everything welded in and rust treated. Frame and structure is like brand new. Now, once we hooked up all the wires, only gauge that does not work is the temperature gauge. Might it be a plug in the engine? Or a sensor? If so where is the wire in the engine bay for the engine temp? I have heard under the battery tray? I know they sell new sensors that plug in. This is a 1973 2.0 engine in a 1976 2.0. Any pictures where I should look, might just be a bad wire we broke or needs a new sensor.

All help is appreciated. Gets in the high 90s in the Colorado summer and need to monitor the engine temp. This is not an oil temp as some might think I have a 914-6 engine swap. Just a normal 2.0 4 cylinder air cooled temp sender or sensor.

V/R
Mark
carcus
Thanks all for the good info. Will check once the snow melts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.