Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring harness - the saga continues.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben Nichols
Hi all

So, the harness is out....thats the plus point

There are few issues but I need to clear up an issue with the engine wiring.

My car has the three centre dials (voltmeter, temp and clock). It seems I dont have a temperature sender in the engine and the temp gauge is connected to the oil pressure sender on the top of the engine.

My question is, how do I know if I have an oil temperature sender, is it usually connected to the sump plug? If so what does it look like? If I need to get one where do I get it from?

I think it would be useful to have an oil temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge (I am happy to lose the clock). Is this possible, do VDO do an oil pressure gauge that looks the same as the stock gauges??

Can any point me in the right direction for an oil pressure gauge that would look right and tell me where I can get an oil pressure sender? whilst the engine is out I will change the oil so dropping the oil out doesn't bother me.

As always, any help greatly received.

Thanks
JeffBowlsby
What year chassis and what engine?
Jonathan Livesay
Oil temp sender.
IPB Image

One way of doing an oil pressure sender.
Click to view attachment

VDO sells oil pressure gauges new but they are a slightly smaller diameter, North Hollywood Speedo or others in that line of work, can put a new Oil press gauge in a stock 914 can.
Ben Nichols
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 6 2019, 07:42 PM) *

What year chassis and what engine?

Hi Jeff its a 1972 with a 1.8 uprated to a 2.0L

I have the oil pressure sensor as shown in the photos.

Thanks
JeffBowlsby
The reason I asked was re: the oil temp sender wire routing.

The 70-71 models have a green/black wire in the ignition harness for the oil temp sender for a gauge in the dash.

The 73-76 models have a green/black wire for the sender wire located under the battery tapping into the main chassis harness, which is the feed for a gauge in the center console.

For 72 - no such factory wire exists, so you will need to run a dedicated wire to wherever your gauge will be located.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.