Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Cams to Use for 914-6 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
2.4T 4R case
85 or 86mm Ps&Cs
9.5:1 CR 40 Webers

Weekend Driver, some DEs and AX

What would be the best cam for this application?
altitude411
Assuming stock gearing...

E or Solex
keeping it at <7k RPM

wub.gif L97G gold sixes. What year? Edit* just noticed the bumper. '74 conversion? Is that the original color for the car? Oh, and then there is this... smile.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
tailwind22
I would second the use of E cams
rgalla9146
Make it three. E
roblav1
Solex
Dion
E for sure. Wish I could afford to do that now.
Good luck!
mb911
Solex.
Mark Henry
If you're going with new cams talk to Camgrinder, have all your specs and a honest opinion on your driving style and/or use ready for when you talk to him.

http://drcamshafts.com/

If you go to the site, click on "porsche cams" then click "information required to grind Porsche 911 camshafts"

The info he wants:
Your name:
Your Email:

Experience level?
I can barely change oil
I do most the maintenance
I have built a few engines
I am a professional engine builder

What Type of Cam Are You Interested In?

What Type of Rocker arm system?

What's Your Application For This Camshaft?

What Size Displacement

Type of Intake system

Type of Exhaust System

What has been done to the heads:

Current Camshafts:

Which Piston?:
Compression ratio:

Which transmission?:

Vehicle weight with driver:

RPM range with driver (IE: 3000 to 7000):

Altitude where car is driven:

Fuel octane:

Additional information IE:driving habits etc:

All information is kept strictly confidential.
flyer86d
E cams. When I rebuilt out 73 911T back in 1986, I used 2.4 S pistons and cylinders with 911E cams. I left the ports stock at 32 mm. It’ll pull to 7300 rpm with a twin pipe muffler and a flat torque curve from 2000 rpm up. All of my rich friends were running 73 2.7 RS’s in the mid 1980’s as track cars. They would pull about two car lengths up the back straight at Watkins Glen on me. It was a great autocross engine also.

I’m using a similar combination on the 1968 911 that I am presently building. 1975 911S engine, 2.7 RS pistons and cylinders, 911L (E) cams, stock 35mm ports but with Weber’s this time. Should be fun.

Charlie
gereed75
What port size are you running’s?

Why E cams, or just Solex? I built the exact same motor with S intake ports for exactly same usage. DC cams recommended DC30 otherwise known as mod Solex. Same grunt down low as Solex (generally considered slightly better than E) with the improved top end breathing of an S.

Very clean down low with really sweet torque coming on strong at 2500-3000 rpm pulls like a freight train with a bit of an S surge at 4200 all the way to 7000. Wonderful street motor.

Provide all the things Mark said, especially what redline you will be using. I bet Camgrinder recommends his DC30.
toolguy
Solex without a doubt. .
germaneighter
Thanks for the input.

Mark Henry
I will be sure to visit his site. Thanks!

gereed75
I plan on running the stock "T" heads which I understand share the same port size as the "E".

altitude411
Stock gear ratios
'74 2.0 L99A Delphi Green Metallic - original color (and mostly original paint) The profile pic does make it look a bit gold-ish….and it has faded some over the years.
Larmo63
I have DC-30s in my street 2.4 /6. We did do 36mm porting to it which made a big difference.
jfort
DC30 otherwise known as mod Solex

agreed. what I did and it is a great engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.