Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
Do I really need this on the rear. I hear, yes it's there for a reason, and no holds in the heat and air drag? I have GT Racing headers on engine with the exhaust tip going to he rear left. Type 4 motor built to a 2.0 from a 1.7.
Dion
I’m not an engineer or aerodynamics expert but
I think it’s mostly cosmetics. I’m building a GT tribute and no longer
running a valance. Do what looks right to you.
& yes I think it contains heat and scoops snow!
Dave_Darling
I do not feel it is needed.

--DD
Larmo63
Cars without it look (to me) like something is missing.

Track cars: no rules
Krieger
You don't need it. I have one on my street car. Not a my track car. It's more pleasant to remove or install your carbureted motor without the valance. Go with what you like.
wes
Best choice is your choice! I personally chose not.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 7 2019, 10:59 PM) *

Cars without it look (to me) like something is missing.

Track cars: no rules

agree.gif
mepstein
If you have a cool exhaust, show it off.
Cairo94507
It really is personal preference. I definitely have what I consider to be the coolest exhaust, made by Ben, all stainless steel and it is a work of art, very pretty. However, I feel the rear of the car looks like something is missing w/o the valance. My car will have the original snowplow valance on it. I also have the shorty (late) valance as a back-up if I ever decide to change the look.
porschetub
Mine will be coming off then I can show off my dented up stock "6" muffler av-943.gif .
I have always considered it to be a trim piece that finishes off the rear of the car nothing more.
Coondog
Before and after
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Put a front LE spoiler on the rear ! I just saw another car listed in an online ad that had one.

Also had a luggage rack attached to the back with chrome runners mounted on the trunk.

Would have posted a pic but the resolution was too low.

What's up with people?
Montreal914
My preference for street car. Per factory, clean look, rolled chrome tip through port hole. Dept of rear valance matches the side rockers and front valance. Good lines.

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
The best time for a rear valance is in the Winter. They are nicknamed "snowplows" for a reason. smile.gif
Kansas 914
Duplicate Post
gandalf_025
I cut the bottom off my “snowplow” valance somewhere around
1974 to make it look like the newer cars...
Painted the white headlight surrounds black around the same time.
What did I know....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 8 2019, 02:22 PM) *

The best time for a rear valance is in the Winter. They are nicknamed "snowplows" for a reason. smile.gif

You have to have snow for it to be a snowplow.

Click to view attachment

BTW.. it is 79 degrees here. aktion035.gif
gereed75
I agree that on street cars, any valence is way better than no valence. It definitely completes the aesthetics of the car.

Race cars look fine with the “no undies” look.
Mueller
I like the idea of a mesh type sheet metal rear valance, from a distance it would appear solid until you got closer to it...sorta, depends on contrasting colors on the other side.
mepstein
Valance delete on all my cars.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I believe that visually, the rear valence "finishes" off the car......
914werke
Are you considering the early porthole or later (shorter) valance?
cpavlenko
Later rear valance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.