Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window washer pump doesn't work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
The pump for the washer fluid doesn't work. I installed it two years ago and it has not been used while I painted the car.

I checked the fuses, the wiring (at the fuse box and the pump and switch), and the connections. The switch I installed has a light on it, so I know it works. The pump makes no noise except for a click when I engage the switch. I have the ignition on and even tried it with the engine running, the wipers on, the lights on. Could the motor be bad? I bought it new.
Dave_Darling
The stock four-cylinder doesn't have a pump. The car used air pressure from the spare tire to pressurize the reservoir.

Any electric pump would be an add-on. If you have one, you will have to figure out how it was added and where the wires and such go.

--DD
Valy
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 8 2019, 06:22 PM) *

The pump for the washer fluid doesn't work. I installed it two years ago and it has not been used while I painted the car.

I checked the fuses, the wiring (at the fuse box and the pump and switch), and the connections. The switch I installed has a light on it, so I know it works. The pump makes no noise except for a click when I engage the switch. I have the ignition on and even tried it with the engine running, the wipers on, the lights on. Could the motor be bad? I bought it new.

Assuming you are talking about an electric pump that once worked.
Most wipers pumps need to be mounted under the reservoir low water level and with the pipe inlets down. This is in order to always have water to pump and cool and to never sip water through the bearings into the electric motor.
porschetub
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 9 2019, 03:22 PM) *

As you have a separate switch you can discount the wiper switch being faulty,sounds like you installed a relay and that's the clicking you can hear,appears the pump may be stuck,try transposing the wires and run it backwards it may free up.
If no luck you could jumper you relay and see if the pump runs,after that I'am out of idea's,good luck.
914 RZ-1
Assuming you are talking about an electric pump that once worked.
Most wipers pumps need to be mounted under the reservoir low water level and with the pipe inlets down. This is in order to always have water to pump and cool and to never sip water through the bearings into the electric motor.

Yes, it worked fine before. I thought maybe since it was sitting in froze up. I installed it as you describe: under the reservoir and with the hose inlets down. Thanks for pointing that out. It confirms I installed it correctly. That's one thing I needed to know. beerchug.gif

As you have a separate switch you can discount the wiper switch being faulty, sounds like you installed a relay and that's the clicking you can hear, appears the pump may be stuck, try transposing the wires and run it backwards it may free up.
If no luck you could jumper you relay and see if the pump runs,after that I'm out of idea's, good luck.

I did not install a relay. I just wired it to the fuse board on a free fuse. It worked fine before. I will try switching the wires, thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. beer.gif
Chris914n6
Dry soap gets sticky. Soak it in some water for a day and try again.
914 RZ-1
As you have a separate switch you can discount the wiper switch being faulty,sounds like you installed a relay and that's the clicking you can hear,appears the pump may be stuck,try transposing the wires and run it backwards it may free up.
If no luck you could jumper you relay and see if the pump runs,after that I'am out of idea's,good luck.

This worked, thanks! piratenanner.gif

I had to turn the switch off and on a few times to break it loose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.