Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 auction values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
I think at least a part of the market dynamic that we are currently seeing is attributable to the influence of the auction houses.

Three years ago the 914 is the featured car at Amelia. Suddenly a previously overlooked car is thrust into the limelight. The car now appears on the screen of a Whole bunch of qualified collectors that never before thought the cars were worthy of investment and voila, prices rise dramatically.

The auction houses encourage demand for a car that had previously languished. And a car that has plenty of supply that will be filling auction lists for years to come. Grist for the mill.

Are these guys that smart? I think they are. Not saying that is the only reason these cars are appreciating but it is a big factor.

And we, the long time die hard 914 lovers go along for the ride, good or bad depending on your perspective.
mepstein
Bad. I like buying them.
jagalyn
Bad. I like driving them.
sithot
More interest means potential for more parts. The early 911 was once a swap meet parts car. I've chased parts in magazine ads or traveled to swap meets to buy used or used up pieces for cars. No more.

Vintage BMW motorcycle owners suffered through this as well. Once the market took off with prices climbing ever higher it created the impetus for manufacturers (including BMW) to get in the game and make once unobtainable parts available again.

Fenders, engine parts, hard to find pieces came into the pipeline and the rest is history.

I cannot say how happy I am that places like Auto Foreign (Eric Linden), Stoddard and many European suppliers have jumped into the fray. They have spent the money to tool up, manufacture and supply parts that were once difficult if not impossible to find. 914 Rubber has been a boon to all of us here!

The cheapest thing on a lot of cars is the owner. With renewed enthusiasm I'd say the days of cheap cars are behind us.

I don't think that's a bad thing.
gereed75
Interesting point. RD being a great example.

There are a lot of these cars around. Special ones (low mileage, special editions, all original etc) will always be special and pricey. The crap ones will always be crap and cheap. It is the middle ground cars that most of here thrive on that will (and have been) increasing in price that will get harder to find and get good deals on.

Good or bad, such is the current market. Try to enjoy, it won’t really hurt a bit! Pretty soon you too will be cool instead of quirky!
Chi-town
I'm happy about parts availability

I'm not happy about being caught in the same price bubble with the 911 causing parts prices to get obscene and people asking top dollar for a bucket of rust with a title.

It's why I keep buying parts cars when I can find them for a decent price. As long as there's guys like me and others on the low end of the price spectrum it keeps the high end guys from gouging rampantly.
KELTY360
QUOTE(sithot @ Mar 9 2019, 07:14 AM) *

The cheapest thing on a lot of cars is the owner.

av-943.gif

Quote of the year!

Unfortunately, it's not easy to own a 914 and be a CSOB anymore. After decades of telling people how great the 914 is, they've finally listened....and it doesn't feel as great being right as I thought it would. You may be able to take the NARP out of the car but you can't take the NARP out of this owner. aktion035.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 9 2019, 09:33 AM) *

I'm happy about parts availability

I'm not happy about being caught in the same price bubble with the 911 causing parts prices to get obscene and people asking top dollar for a bucket of rust with a title.

It's why I keep buying parts cars when I can find them for a decent price. As long as there's guys like me and others on the low end of the price spectrum it keeps the high end guys from gouging rampantly.

agree.gif Those of you who have followed my build thread know that I've restored a basket case that a reasonable person would have cut up for parts and then crushed. It needed a LOT of sheet metal and other parts. I've had very little trouble finding the parts I needed at reasonable prices. When buying used parts, members here have been incredibly generous in offering dirt cheap prices and even donating parts outright. As prices for cars escalate, so will the cost of used parts. It's much easier to donate or bargain price a part worth $50 to a brother in need than a part worth $500.

Of course I'm happy the value of these cars is increasing to a point where, should my financial fortunes turn for the worst, I could recover what I have invested. But if the trend continues, it means this will be the last 914 I will own and the prospect of a future project to bring back another basket case will be off the table. It makes me sad to think these wonderful cars may soon be out of reach for the average guy with a few bucks and abundant ambition the same as other models of the marque.
KELTY360
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 9 2019, 07:53 AM) *

Pretty soon you too will be cool instead of quirky!

....but I like being quirky.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
without an inexpensive tooler like Mark at 914 rubber has, it is impossible to make the parts really needed for the car. For an example, we have a fender all tooled up and ready to go, but we have to run 50 of them at our cost of 275 each and pay tooling of approx 10,000 dollars. But where are we going to get 50 buyers for 914 front fenders quickly enough even at 500 each to cover our expense?
larryM

beer.gif
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 9 2019, 09:36 AM) *

without an inexpensive tooler like Mark at 914 rubber has, it is impossible to make the parts really needed for the car. For an example, we have a fender all tooled up and ready to go, but we have to run 50 of them at our cost of 275 each and pay tooling of approx 10,000 dollars. But where are we going to get 50 buyers for 914 front fenders quickly enough even at 500 each to cover our expense?

'yup - the number of "makers" of 914-6 & GT repro parts has blossomed in the last 2-3 yrs

i still dunno how they are all making money at this

- often seems like a case of a "CSOB" makes a piece HE wants right now, but is not willing to pay the price for an already available piece, & hopes to recover his development cost by selling more of that item ... ??

... sixer headers a prolific case in point

meanwhile i waited 3 yrs for AA to get enuf buyers to repro a -6-vw euro emblem

- thankfully got it & it sits now in my trophy case - will never be put on a car unless sold after i die, to some aggregator of storage unit auction junk

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.