Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center caps: making sure they stay in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all, I have five-lug fuchs alloys and I just bought center caps for them. They were expensive - so I'm a little worried that they kinda pop in and out too easy. Has anyone found a way to secure them in better - maybe with silicone or thread glue - or something? I don't want my investment to roll off into the wind.

Thanks!

Mike
sixnotfour
did you buy 3prong or ring caps ?
CoronaMike
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 9 2019, 11:29 AM) *

did you buy 3prong or ring caps ?

Rings
sixnotfour
they used to sell these... dont know if any still does
Mark Henry
If you have the spring prongs DO NOT try to bend them back. On the ring type I'd try tweaking them a hair.

One thing regular RTV is good for, make sure both parts are totally clean and don't go crazy with the RTV. I did a thin coat around the lip of the cap, put it on and then managed to get some RTV around the prongs. Clean up right away, and tape in place overnight if necessary.
Bit of a PITA to take back off, but at least they will come off.
porschetub
I used a little electrical tape on mine,made them a good tight fit its not like you would want to lose any.
Read on here recently there are 2 sizes...I wasn't aware of that.
Save the RTV for the bathroom,it has no place on wheel caps.
CoronaMike
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 9 2019, 01:13 PM) *

I used a little electrical tape on mine,made them a good tight fit its not like you would want to lose any.
Read on here recently there are 2 sizes...I wasn't aware of that.
Save the RTV for the bathroom,it has no place on wheel caps.

Thanks everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.