Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall Shift rod hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
I'm working on the engine bay and noticed something didn't look quite right with the shift rod hole in the firewall.
I plan on using the Tangerine shift rod bearing but the firewall hole protrudes out not in.

Do I need to add another ring to it? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

This is the Tangerine Bearing

Click to view attachment

Thanks everyone.
ChrisFoley
That's definitely not right. The hole where the shift rod comes out doesn't normally look anything like that.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
needs to have the insert from your old firewall welded in

QUOTE(BPic @ Mar 9 2019, 10:37 AM) *

I'm working on the engine bay and noticed something didn't look quite right with the shift rod hole in the firewall.
I plan on using the Tangerine shift rod bearing but the firewall hole protrudes out not in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks everyone.

BPic
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 9 2019, 01:10 PM) *

needs to have the insert from your old firewall welded in

QUOTE(BPic @ Mar 9 2019, 10:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks everyone.

Ahaaa!!!! George what would I do without you. Almost tossed that sucker the other day. Guess it’s good not to like to throw away rust.

I’ll tackle this first thing tomorrow. piratenanner.gif

Thank you!!!
BeatNavy
I believe it's this thing. You have to drill out the spot welds and remove it from the old firewall. This is mine after a little "cleaning up," although it looks worse in the 2nd picture than it was.

First pic is it still welded to a section of firewall that I cut out.
Click to view attachment

Removed and ready for welding to new firewall section.
Click to view attachment
jimkelly
1 white 1975
2 orange 1972
of area

depending on the OD of the hole in your firewall, you may have enough meat left to rivet the tangerine busing on place, but that circular lip will be in your way, either way, it seems. if not, you'll have to grind of that lip and weld in (or rivet in) a piece of flat steel with an OD small enough for you to provide the 3 holes needed for riveting it in i guess.

also, i have one, not yet installed. it seems to have to be installed in a specific direction.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
sixnotfour
idea.gif side shifter
rjames
Don’t rivet it in, do it right and weld it.
rhodyguy
Does the firewall even have the recess the cover piece attaches to?
rgalla9146
Can you could back the camera up a bit for reference ?
burton73
My 74

Bob BClick to view attachment
BPic
The original part when removed has the recessed area and fits the hole on the RD firewall. I did have to the grind the "ring" off but it went in easily. I still have a small bit of welding to fill holes since I ran out of gas. headbang.gif

Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate the advice.

Should have color soon!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.