Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
I have had no luck removing my hubs, I tried a puller with no luck. Do these have to be pressed out? I am tempted to buy a press at HF but space is at a premium in my shop. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also would any one be willing to sell the tools to install both the front and rear A arm and trailing arm bushings. I meant to order these when I purchased the bushing at 914 Rubber but forgot. Now it will cost $50 to 60 with freight to get after the fact, so not really looking to do that for a tool I will use once.

Thanks,
John

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
It’s easiest to use the proper bearing puller but I’ve used a slide hammer in a pinch.
Morph914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 10 2019, 07:16 PM) *

It’s easiest to use the proper bearing puller but I’ve used a slide hammer in a pinch.

Thank you, I'll continue to try and find a video of this process. Haven't had any luck yet.

John
bbrock
I borrowed a hub puller set from Autozone for mine. I used the slide hammer attachment and it came out very easy.

I just installed my A-arm bushings a couple weeks ago so PM me your address and I'll send you my install tools.
Morph914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 10 2019, 08:57 PM) *

I borrowed a hub puller set from Autozone for mine. I used the slide hammer attachment and it came out very easy.

I just installed my A-arm bushings a couple weeks ago so PM me your address and I'll send you my install tools.

Thank you Brent, I'll give that a try.
And keep up the great work with your build. Although I do not have the skill set that you possess, pray.gif I have gained much much confidence from watching your build and have gone much deeper than I would have otherwise. I'll start posting pictures soon.

Thanks,
John
mlindner
And any auto shop has a press, throw $20.00 at them and your done.
cary
http://www.sirtools.com/hub_kit.htm

I have the old kit upper kit without hub extractor.
I use slide hammer on the car to pull the hub. Use one of the plates from the hub kit.
Takes about 3 wacks.
Off the car we have a jig to hold the arm in the 20 ton press.
mgphoto
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 11 2019, 08:04 AM) *

I use slide hammer on the car to pull the hub. Use one of the plates from the hub kit.
Takes about 3 wacks.

I've used the Sir Tool it works great. A decent press works fine. Remember that the bearing is destroyed when the hub is removed.
Morph914
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 11 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Takes about 3 wacks.

This is what I got at Autozone today. I have put what seems to me, sufficient pressure on this to break it loose, is there any retaining clip or pin, or is this just a press fit? If it is just a press fit I will put a cheater pipe on this breaker bar and have at it!

Thanks for your input,
JohnClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Morph914
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 11 2019, 03:03 PM) *

Takes about 3 wacks.

I've used the Sir Tool it works great. A decent press works fine. Remember that the bearing is destroyed when the hub is removed.

Thank you,
I do have new bearings and also the bushings. If this doesn't work I'll just take to a shop and have them pressed off. headbang.gif

Cheers,
John
mgphoto
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Mar 11 2019, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Mar 11 2019, 03:03 PM) *

Takes about 3 wacks.

Thank you,
I do have new bearings and also the bushings. If this doesn't work I'll just take to a shop and have them pressed off. headbang.gif

Cheers,
John

I know it's a pain but the trailing arm is much easier to deal with when the axle is removed, you will need new gaskets.

Also the idea is not so much as you are pulling the hub out as, you are pushing the stub axle through.

If the trailing arm is off the car, take it to someone with a press, out in less than a minute. Sir Tool works great on the car.

Be careful, good luck.
Spoke
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Mar 11 2019, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Mar 11 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Takes about 3 wacks.

This is what I got at Autozone today. I have put what seems to me, sufficient pressure on this to break it loose, is there any retaining clip or pin, or is this just a press fit? If it is just a press fit I will put a cheater pipe on this breaker bar and have at it!

Thanks for your input,
JohnClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Did you get the hub off with the gear puller? I'm not sure a gear puller will get the hub out. You need something that pounds on it like a slide hammer or a large socket on the inside and your favorite BFH to drive it out.
Spoke
A local machine shop pressed the rear bearings on my '71 for $40 each side.
bbrock
This is the kit I got from Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-spec...ler-set/94801_0

First I took the axles out which just took removing the castle nuts with an impact wrench and a few taps with a plastic hammer. Maybe I got lucky there? confused24.gif Then I attached the flange to the hub and used the slide hammer to knock it out. Like Cary said, about three hits and done. Both trailing arms took less than 45 minutes total to take apart and cost nothing but the time.
bbrock
Also, I bought this bearing puller set at HF to get the actual bearings out. I had a couple of cars to replace rear bearings on so buying the kit paid for itself right away. Don't know why they call it a front bearing set. Works great for rears too. Also works to install the new bearings without pounding on them.

IPB Image
https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-b...ters-63728.html
Morph914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 11 2019, 06:09 PM) *

Also, I bought this bearing puller set at HF to get the actual bearings out. I had a couple of cars to replace rear bearings on so buying the kit paid for itself right away. Don't know why they call it a front bearing set. Works great for rears too. Also works to install the new bearings without pounding on them.

IPB Image
https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-b...ters-63728.html

Thanks Brent,

I saw that set at Autozone but was not sure which would work the best. I think I’ll take the axles out and then exchange the kit I have for the hammer type. And I agree on the bearing puller/ installer, I think I’m going to pick one of those up .
For some reason I have a difficult time taking my stuff for others to fix when I’m fully capable with the right tools. smash.gif This is where the forum is so helpful.
bbrock
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Mar 11 2019, 05:42 PM) *

For some reason I have a difficult time taking my stuff for others to fix when I’m fully capable with the right tools. smash.gif This is where the forum is so helpful.

I'm with you there. For me, it's an hour round trip to get a part to the shop and the shops around here are so busy, they really don't like fiddling with little things like this. Given the choice between paying equal money for labor or tools, I'll choose tools every time. smash.gif

And i'm packing up the A-arm tools right now. beerchug.gif
914_teener
A couple of things to be careful about.

I had an issue once when I did my rear suspension years ago now.

I couldn.t get the hub out like the op so I took it to a machine shop to press out. First we tried the 20 ton press but no love. I figured something was wrong. Soaked it in prenetrant since it was the original arm and I notioned that the hub had rusted in there.

Two days of soaking and no problem getting it off.

Later when I installed the new arm and hub I couldn.t get it to align per spec. I notioned that we bent then one arm pressing the hub out.

Moral of the story is make sure the arm is not bent before you mount it. I didn.t watch the shop press it out but it could have happened that way.

Good luck.
Morph914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 11 2019, 07:18 PM) *

A couple of things to be careful about.

I had an issue once when I did my rear suspension years ago now.

I couldn.t get the hub out like the op so I took it to a machine shop to press out. First we tried the 20 ton press but no love. I figured something was wrong. Soaked it in prenetrant since it was the original arm and I notioned that the hub had rusted in there.

Two days of soaking and no problem getting it off.

Later when I installed the new arm and hub I couldn.t get it to align per spec. I notioned that we bent then one arm pressing the hub out.

Moral of the story is make sure the arm is not bent before you mount it. I didn.t watch the shop press it out but it could have happened that way.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up
bdstone914
Have you removed the stub axle?
The free rental of the slide hammer at your FLAPS is the easiest way. I had tools made that can be used with a slide hammer or as a big punch from the back side. You can also rent for free a bearing puller set to pull the bearings.
Morph914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 12 2019, 08:26 AM) *

Have you removed the stub axle?
The free rental of the slide hammer at your FLAPS is the easiest way. I had tools made that can be used with a slide hammer or as a big punch from the back side. You can also rent for free a bearing puller set to pull the bearings.

I was able to remove one of the stub axles and then used the slide hammer tool to remove the hub on one of them but the other did not go so well. Let’s just say I’m on the market for a stub axle. I’ll have to have the other pressed out. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’m sure I have some extra stub axles. PM me your address and I’ll send you a set.

@Morph914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.