Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine compartment....?.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Freezin 914
As I follow many of you building beautiful cars, some of the attention to detail is amazing. Question is have any of you gone the extra mile to clean up the engine compartment? I mean as to streamline to look of the compartment as a whole. I am fan of high end builds, such as Singer, PMS, PMB etc. as most of you are, but I can’t help but say 914’s in particular have pretty “messy” engine compartments. They just don’t look as appealing as, 911’s or 356’s, 912’s or even VW bugs.....
If any of you have done this, please post some pictures, looking for ideas to clean up the look.
thelogo
You would want to start with a 911 style fan ?

And having a clean painted engine compartment
(Definitely not my car )

Photo is off fat performance site
I think it's a four
Freezin 914
I guess referring to wiring, vacuum, etc. trying to tidy it up. Not my car, but took the picture for reference, looks waaaay better then mine! Again, looking for ideas.
mepstein
Unfortunately, the engine faces the wrong way and is mostly hidden in a 6 to really show it off.
But I wouldn't mind having the factory 8 to look at.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 10 2019, 10:41 PM) *

Unfortunately, the engine faces the wrong way and is mostly hidden in a 6 to really show it off.
But I wouldn't mind having the factory 8 to look at.

agree.gif
I have /6 with sorted wiring, paint and a gorgeous twin plug dizzy... you just can't see much of it.
Add air cleaners and those lovely stacks disappear plus rain hats block a lot of the view, my TP dizzy all you see is a bag of snakes, can't see the fan, etc. You look at my engine and can tell it's well sorted, but on a 914 it's hard to see.

Although they look great I don't like those stack screens, because I drive my teen.
mepstein
Most people don't even know where the engine is in our "Fiat". lol-2.gif
burton73
#41 has an engine compartment so clean you can eat off of it today. Very soon it will get oil and it can only go down as far as eating off of it.

Bob B
drooley.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 10 2019, 10:11 PM) *

Most people don't even know where the engine is in our "Fiat". lol-2.gif

I do second the motion! I also get “Miata” sometimes!
Freezin 914
@burton73 , @mepstein , @markhenry, I do see that those compartments are nice and sorted. It does seem as though I am drawn to the look of carb’d cars, they look nicer and have more of a performance demeanor. The stock 2.0 type 4 looks ok as the air box takes up a lot of real estate. Like the appearance of carbs with filters, Uni etc. My driver is a stock 1.8 and the wiring and misc vacuum lines are a mess! Building a carbed 2056 and want to get the engine compartment dialed in the best I can. Want to open the lid and just stare at it while enjoying a frosty beverage... beer3.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 10 2019, 11:39 PM) *

@burton73 , @mepstein , @markhenry, I do see that those compartments are nice and sorted. It does seem as though I am drawn to the look of carb’d cars, they look nicer and have more of a performance demeanor. The stock 2.0 type 4 looks ok as the air box takes up a lot of real estate. Like the appearance of carbs with filters, Uni etc. My driver is a stock 1.8 and the wiring and misc vacuum lines are a mess! Building a carbed 2056 and want to get the engine compartment dialed in the best I can. Want to open the lid and just stare at it while enjoying a frosty beverage... beer3.gif

Dion had the nicest FI four I've ever seen. He used a custom CIS setup. My first 914 was a carbed 4. Carbs keep it pretty simple and clean. You do away with a lot of "stuff".
bbrock
@rgolia has the nicest carbed 4-banger engine compartment I've seen with the CSP air box.

IPB Image
DickSteinkamp
You can add cylinders but still do away with a lot of complication...

Click to view attachment
rgolia
Here it is after the 2056 rebuild. Man is it fun to drive now.
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment

whoops wrong engine!
AHudson
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 10 2019, 07:43 PM) *

As I follow many of you building beautiful cars, some of the attention to detail is amazing. Question is have any of you gone the extra mile to clean up the engine compartment? I mean as to streamline to look of the compartment as a whole. I am fan of high end builds, such as Singer, PMS, PMB etc. as most of you are, but I can’t help but say 914’s in particular have pretty “messy” engine compartments. They just don’t look as appealing as, 911’s or 356’s, 912’s or even VW bugs.....
If any of you have done this, please post some pictures, looking for ideas to clean up the look.

I so agree with you on the 'messy' part, and so much of that issue (to me) is the difficulty of cleaning a mid engined car. As others have noted, a lot of the engine is hidden or impossible to see from the limited angle.

Anyway, with my engine out, I've had much time to 'try' and do a clean up of engine and engine bay with limited success, but at least its better.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
I need/plan to tidy up wiring all around this car, but here's the engine bay w/ air cleaners off temporarily

Click to view attachment

wes
QUOTE(rgolia @ Mar 11 2019, 04:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is sweet! Any information on your setup?
oakdalecurtis
Stock 76 Cali smog compliant 2.0

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
This would look amazing in a 914.
Larmo63
It probably helps to have a darker color or black as far as what you can and can't see.

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
I powder coated and painted a bunch. But yeah, some of the clutter is hard to hide...
Mark Henry
The engine I have in mine, most of this you can't see in the 914. And you definitely can't see things like the custom ceramic topped Mahle RSR style 3.0 pistons, shame as they're a work of art.

IPB Image
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2019, 02:35 PM) *

Tangerine Racing can hook you up with a setup.
Mark Henry
This one is my '67 beetle 914 T4 2600cc converted to type 1, all metal stock/Joe Cali/ DTM inspired custom hybrid Flatnines shroud and EFI. Again all the trick goodies are buried.

My saying from the old days was "put your money in the engine...not on it." I always lost 'Best Engine' at VW shows because I refused to pimp the engine out with shiny (but crap) chrome.
Now I win at the local shows, just because I have the biggest engine. laugh.gif
IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 11 2019, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2019, 02:35 PM) *

Tangerine Racing can hook you up with a setup.

There's is different.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 11 2019, 07:22 PM) *

This one is my '67 beetle 914 T4 2600cc converted to type 1, all metal stock/Joe Cali/ DTM inspired custom hybrid Flatnines shroud and EFI. Again all the trick goodies are buried.

My saying from the old days was "put your money in the engine...not on it." I always lost 'Best Engine' at VW shows because I refused to pimp the engine out with shiny (but crap) chrome.
IPB Image

I don’t care about fancy fittings, or shiny bits, again looking for a clean look. Particularly wiring and cables.
It’s nice to see some engine compartments that are often overlooked. Nice work!
Freezin 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 11 2019, 06:33 PM) *

I powder coated and painted a bunch. But yeah, some of the clutter is hard to hide...

Very nice!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 11 2019, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 11 2019, 07:22 PM) *

I don’t care about fancy fittings, or shiny bits, again looking for a clean look. Particularly wiring and cables.
It’s nice to see some engine compartments that are often overlooked. Nice work!

Thanks, the only thing I want to change is the air cleaner top/bottom, these are cheap tin jobbies with only the one center screw, the 1/2 side cleaner tends to twist. I have a set of alunimum air cleaners with two studs I'm going to install one day.
I like regular stock cloth breather hose, SS looks cool but if it touches anything it saws through it. Also SS is a conductor, so if it ever touches a hot wire it will short out, BTDT.
Also IMHO the cloth breather hose looks more correct and is cheap to replace.
JeffBowlsby
I dunno...whats not to love? drooley.gif
rgolia
QUOTE(wes @ Mar 11 2019, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(rgolia @ Mar 11 2019, 04:00 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is sweet! Any information on your setup?

It is a CSP airbox made for buses. It quiets down the carb roar just enough that you can actually have a normal conversation with a passenger. And in my opinion looks way nicer than the twin air filters.
I have always hated the look of the engine compartment. The fuel injection setup looks like a rats nest, the dual carved filters look like a add on, but the airbox from CSP is just right. Not cheap but worth it for the noise reduction alone
maf914
RG/rgolia, Great looking set up!

What carb linkage do you use under the CSP airbox? Did the CSP airbox fit without modification? What is the airbox made from? Do you consider it strong and durable?
Thanks.
rgolia
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 12 2019, 10:09 AM) *

RG/rgolia, Great looking set up!

What carb linkage do you use under the CSP airbox? Did the CSP airbox fit without modification? What is the airbox made from? Do you consider it strong and durable?
Thanks.

Tangerine racing cable linkage, no interference with the airbox. It appears to be made of some king of reinforced fiberglass, seems pretty study. It fit essentially without modification.
burton73
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 11 2019, 09:24 PM) *

Jeff, Do you have a 928?

That boy is clean. Just like it came from the factory. Mabie even cleaner.

Bob B
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 12 2019, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 11 2019, 09:24 PM) *

Jeff, Do you have a 928?

That boy is clean. Just like it came from the factory. Mabie even cleaner.

Bob B

I do. Its a 1981 with 37K miles. A few of us here have 928s.

Beach914
Friend is messing around with this setup.

Click to view attachment
PaulFV8
I did a few searches and this is the closest I came to my topic. Has anyone painted the engine bay a different color? Initially my color choice was Alaska Blue Metallic but these cars look great in black and I’m leaning towards a dark blue (thanks to John from Philly and his Azure Blue). But I wanted a lighter color so it would be easier to see the engine. It’s a 2.7 conversion so the paint won’t matter much in the end. Maybe a medium gray in the engine bay but paint the trunks to match the dark blue?
PaulFV8
And these will be on the 2.7
rhodyguy
That CSP filter assem is slick. I think I might want one of those. As long as it's not a 900 euro one. I looked around for the Goldwing package but got confused.
racerbvd
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
I forgot about this thread and guess I should share my carb air cleaner treatment.

IPB Image

IPB Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm-LOk_IBpg

More details here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=352004

and here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2868946
Retroracer
So not the cleanest, but here's the engine bay of my faux GT build; no insulation, I removed some of the brackets and relocated the relay board to the battery tray (battery relocated in front trunk); GT engine lid release means a shorter tube run. The firewall access is just visible in front of the cooling fan:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

To get to Singer levels of detail / clean, you could go much further - relocating ground studs, bespoke liners, etc. Relocating the dry sump tank in the front would clean up all those connections, fasteners, filler and such. Depends on how much time and planning you want to invest...!

- Tony
barefoot
2L 4cyl. Red hose ties both head vents together. High mounted breather vented to just 1 carb. the 4 normally un-fuzed wires, now routred into 1 in 4 out fuze box.

Click to view attachment
Literati914
I've always thought about using an air box from a 911 (zenith / MFi type, other?) as a starting point, and re-work it for an air-box for a carb set up in a 914.

Would probably have to cut it into 3rds and elongate it.. weld up everything on the underside and then cut and re-drill for the Webers, etc. But what about volume - too much there? Other obvious problems? Thoughts?

Cairo94507
Here is mine:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
"They just don’t look as appealing as, 911’s or 356’s, 912’s or even VW bugs....."

This deserves a a response I used to give when I first got the 914. Bugs were very popular in the early 80's, and I heard how I just had a VW engine, just like them..."Yes", I'd say, "but like buying the right house, it's all about location, location, location..."
windforfun
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 12 2021, 01:44 PM) *

You're an artist.
raynekat
Engine bays are tough on 914's.
Hard to see in there and just as hard to keep it clean and tidy.

Easier when you've just rebuilt the car, but then it's still tough to maintain the cleanliness.
I think it looks better without the sound/heat pad on the firewall but then you've got a lot more engine noise in the cockpit.

This was what mine looked like after the rehab.
Unfortunately the crown jewel of a 911 engine, the fan, is impossible to see in a 914.
Ha

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
A couple more....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mlindner
Trying to keep as clean as possible. MarkClick to view attachment
rgalla9146
All stock except for air filters.......and louvered engine lid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.