Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Wheels Are These?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clarkcou
I had the 1997 (or 1987? per DOT date code) tires pulled off of these rims so I can clean them up and repaint them. I have not found any markings on them indicating the brand. If I measured correctly they are 15 x 5.5. They had Avon 195/60 15 tires mounted on them.

Any one know what they may be? I believe true mini liters would have the name embossed on them. Any suggestions for cleaning up the old paint overspray on the inside back?

Sorry for the poor quality picture. Taken at dusk.

Randy
PhoenixClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
Look like Empi type to me.
mepstein
probably empi or similar. Not even close to minilites.
type47fan
Identifying EMPI 8 spoke wheels:

Genuine, original EMPIs are two piece wheels that seal with a large o-ring between the halves or, more likely, run tubes.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

The EMPI logo is cast into the spoke web, directly opposite the valve stem.

The wheels are mounted on screw in threaded studs. There are steel hex closed lug nuts torqued down on steel centering bushings that slip over the studs.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

The original center caps had 4 tabs for attachment.

Click to view attachment
clarkcou
Thanks. So not empis and not minilites
oakdalecurtis
Always thought mine were Empi's. My center caps do not have the 4 screw tabs but just pop in. Does that help identify them?

Click to view attachment
jmitro
empi repros.
I had those on my 73 VW bug 25 years ago biggrin.gif
brant
empi reproductions

heavy
cheap
probably have the wrong offset
and still sold new affordable
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 11 2019, 10:18 AM) *

empi reproductions

heavy
cheap

Hey Brant,
I've had the car and wheels (came with) for 20 years, no wheel rubbing or problems at all. How would I identify if the offset is wrong, and does it matter if the wheels don't rub or have any identifiable running issues?
brant
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Mar 11 2019, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 11 2019, 10:18 AM) *

empi reproductions

heavy
cheap

Hey Brant,
I've had the car and wheels (came with) for 20 years, no wheel rubbing or problems at all. How would I identify if the offset is wrong, and does it matter if the wheels don't rub or have any identifiable running issues?

take one off and measure from the back

I believe these wheels came in 2 different offsets... a VW one is most common
brant
jos.hall
American Eagle made EMPI reproductions as early as the early to mid 80s. They’re probably the most common 4 lug aftermarket wheel available and usually resale between $80-100/set of 4 at the swap meets.
brant
I don't remember what measurement the 2 distinct offsets were.
perhaps someone reading along will have that data and post it.

the VW offset requires a narrow tire.. 185 or more narrow as I recall
you are probably fine and have the correct offset if you have tires wider than that on the car.
type47fan
Here is a The Samba thread that discusses wheel fitment and mentions changes in the EMPI style wheels over time:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/i...t-693428--.html

Here's a supplier's example that lists modern (current) EMPI fitment specs:

https://www.performanceplustire.com/buy-whe...1973:ws:15x5-5/

Handy backspace-offset calculator:

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Backspace-Offset-Calculator.html
clarkcou
I need to buy tires for theses wheels. I have never had my 914 on the road, and these wheels (15"x5.5") have not been used on this car except as a motor less roller. I took off 205/60/15 tires, but after reviewing posts here and on PP it seems to me that 205/65/15 would be a more logical choice.

Your thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.