Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter knob alternative - in color!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
Just wanted to share this with the group: I recently purchased a new shifter knob, somewhat similar to the legendary racing laminated ones used on factory 917s's and such; but this one is built from recycled materials - skateboards to be exact!

Click to view attachment

A guy called Simon Basil makes these in the UK, his site is here:

https://builtbybasil.com

The subtle color combinations attracted me and the one I chose reflected the main colors on my car - green and black. He gave me a couple of options on securing the knob to the gear lever, and seemed flexible on machining the collar to the right dimensions to suit what I had. And I am really happy with the result:

Click to view attachment

Zero affiliation, I just liked the product and the craftsmanship. FYI.

- Tony
Dion
That’s pretty damn slick. I like it.
ConeDodger
And on this side of the pond...

Zach Nall
mepstein
I like that. I used to sell skateboards at my bike shop. Threw out dozens of old ones. I wish I had that kind of imagination.
Freezin 914
Pretty darn cool, although old skateboards can be worth some cash...
Any pictures of the seats in your car, looked pretty cool too!
76-914
Nice. Like those thin layers. beerchug.gif
Retroracer
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 11 2019, 04:20 PM) *

Any pictures of the seats in your car, looked pretty cool too!

Thx - couple of shots below. These were not expensive, vinyl & steel frames - but are pretty light and I do like the 70's vibe they have. Found the supplier on eBay. I had to make up brackets to alter the angle a little, but no big deal

- Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
I've wanted to try making knobs from old skateboards, but am loath to cut up any of mine.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 12 2019, 11:08 AM) *

I've wanted to try making knobs from old skateboards, but am loath to cut up any of mine.

Zach

I'll try to get some and send them to you.

@VaccaRabite
Mark Henry
Wife's 914 came with one of Zach's knobs biggrin.gif ....hey wait a minute...Zack you have some explaining too do mad.gif
johnhora
Tony...
Thanks for posting!
The new gearshift knob looks great in your 914
it really adds to the fantastic interior..

sixnotfour

youre not riding enough in bowls and grinding on everything....
my kid needed a new one every month ,,,,,

those knobs are really interesting...
Retroracer
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 12 2019, 10:21 AM) *

Tony...
Thanks for posting!
The new gearshift knob looks great in your 914
it really adds to the fantastic interior..

You're welcome! And thanks for the kind words on the car,

- Tony
Andyrew
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 12 2019, 08:08 AM) *

Zach

Zach,

If you make one with dark orange and black accents I'll buy/fund the experiment smile.gif

Tony,

Interior looks great! Knob looks great! Those ebay seats look much nicer than they do on ebay! Are they as narrow as they look?
Retroracer
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2019, 01:00 PM) *

Tony,

Interior looks great! Knob looks great! Those ebay seats look much nicer than they do on ebay! Are they as narrow as they look?

Andy - thx, thx. the seats are not quite "as shipped" from the vendor; I found the breather vents were all a little too shiny "en masse" - so I individually keyed and hand painted the centers of all them! (matt black):

Click to view attachment

This sounds like a lot of work but wasn't too bad of a project in reality - and made a huge difference to the look. For a fraction of the cost of Scheel's or even GTS seats, I can live with the result. Think they were $240 shipped, with headrests (which didn't fit because roll cage) ;-(

You've met me, I'm 5'10" and find the seats fit me well. People more "broad in the beam" may struggle though, and the lateral hip support is not what you'd want in a dedicated race car. But a good compromise for Sunday afternoon / occasional track car. I also have slightly better access to the e-brake now than I did when I had the cheap racing bucket seats fitted.

If anyone has specific interest I can post some pics and rough dimensions of the seat brackets I made up.

- Tony
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 12 2019, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2019, 01:00 PM) *

Tony,

Andy - thx, thx. the seats are not quite "as shipped" from the vendor; I found the breather vents were all a little too shiny "en masse" - so I individually keyed and hand painted the centers of all them! (matt black):

Click to view attachment

This sounds like a lot of work but wasn't too bad of a project in reality - and made a huge difference to the look. For a fraction of the cost of Scheel's or even GTS seats, I can live with the result. Think they were $240 shipped, with headrests (which didn't fit because roll cage) ;-(

You've met me, I'm 5'10" and find the seats fit me well. People more "broad in the beam" may struggle though, and the lateral hip support is not what you'd want in a dedicated race car. But a good compromise for Sunday afternoon / occasional track car. I also have slightly better access to the e-brake now than I did when I had the cheap racing bucket seats fitted.

If anyone has specific interest I can post some pics and rough dimensions of the seat brackets I made up.

- Tony

I'm interested. Maybe a link to the ebay vendor too please? beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 12 2019, 02:46 PM) *

- Tony

Tony, what's your inseam? Also are they steel framed or something else?

I'm looking for something to modify extensively but want something steel framed to make that easier. My current seats are steel framed but they don't have headrests and the shape is just all wrong.

abes914
popcorn[1].gif
Retroracer
So looking back, I got these from IKON motorsports, through Amazon (not Ebay, as stated earlier):

Click to view attachment

I tossed the slider assembly they shipped with, and made up brackets to fit to 914 sliders:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Andyrew - They are steel framed. I'm not sure what an "inseam" is - but it does sound very personal....!

- Tony
Andyrew
Inseam or waistline what size pants do you wear smile.gif

Great pics. Viable option!! Here are the ones I saw on eBay. Likely the same manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-CLASSIC-VINT...7!US!-1
Retroracer
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2019, 04:23 PM) *

Inseam or waistline what size pants do you wear smile.gif

Great pics. Viable option!! Here are the ones I saw on eBay. Likely the same manufacturer.

Those seats look to have a much thicker thigh bolster than the ones I have - the racing buckets I had in before were similar and I didn't like the way they pushed my knees towards the wheel. The ones I chose have a much flatter profile, similar to the stock seats.

Oh, and 32" - 34" waist FYI!

- Tony
tmc914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 11 2019, 05:19 PM) *

And on this side of the pond...

Zach Nall

That shift knob looks alot like the one on TRE Motorsports. Is there a connection?
https://tremotorsports.com/interior/917-style-shift-knob

sixnotfour
that shift knob looks alot like the one on TRE Motorsports. Is there a connection?

or zack or a few others..917ish .....the skateboard thing is the new.....
mb911
Those seats look really cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.