Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable Adjustments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteelerMike77
Today I am attempting to adjust my clutch cable in my 74 914 1.8.
Any tips? Never done this before, been reading a lot on forums and things... just looking for solid advice/direction. Unfortunately my Haynes manual is not very helpful!
Thanks
BeatNavy
I assume you're tightening the cable, right?

If you've been reading up on it you should know it's pretty straightforward, assuming it's set up now generally correctly in terms of hardware. Should be two 11mm nuts on the end of the cable. Loosen the lock one and make the adjustments with the other. Tighten up the lock nut again. You may need to add a spacer on the end of the cable to give you enough adjustment room. The cable can also be adjusted up at the pedal, if you run out of adjustment room at the tranny side.

Can't remember how much free play you are supposed to have in the pedal, but that should be in one of the threads you read. It normally doesn't take more than one or two turns of the nut to feel a difference, so adjust / test incrementally.
SteelerMike77
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 12 2019, 02:32 PM) *

If you've been reading up on it you should know it's pretty straightforward, assuming it's set up now generally correctly in terms of hardware. Should be two 11mm nuts on the end of the cable. Loosen the lock one and make the adjustments with the other. Tighten up the lock nut again. You may need to add a spacer on the end of the cable to give you enough adjustment room. The cable can also be adjusted up at the pedal, if you run out of adjustment room at the tranny side.

Can't remember how much free play you are supposed to have in the pedal, but that should be in one of the threads you read. It normally doesn't take more than one or two turns of the nut to feel a difference, so adjust / test incrementally.

Thanks SO much...yes I am tightening the cable. I have read EVERYTHING I possibly could! Thanks again.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Mar 12 2019, 12:07 PM) *

Thanks SO much...yes I am tightening the cable. I have read EVERYTHING I possibly could! Thanks again.

yes sir very easy to adjust the clutch cable. I’m sure u can do it. For me I like the gear engage while releasing the clutch pedal about 1/4 to 1/3 of the full pedal play and enough that you can push in to reverse gear without grinding.

SteelerMike77
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 12 2019, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Mar 12 2019, 12:07 PM) *

yes sir very easy to adjust the clutch cable. I’m sure u can do it. For me I like the gear engage while releasing the clutch pedal about 1/4 to 1/3 of the full pedal play and enough that you can push in to reverse gear without grinding.

SteelerMike77
Yes, it was easy! I also added gear oil, easy as well, down about a 1/2 a quart! Adjustment made it MUCH better, no grinding at all now in 1st or reverse!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(SteelerMike77 @ Mar 12 2019, 07:07 PM) *

Yes, it was easy! I also added gear oil, easy as well, down about a 1/2 a quart! Adjustment made it MUCH better, no grinding at all now in 1st or reverse!

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.