Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show Us Your Shift Knob!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Picking up on the previous shift knob thread, I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's shift knobs. I'll go first....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Got ya beat biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
914dave
I’m set up to run 2
Click to view attachment
914dave
Depends on what mood I’m in

Click to view attachment
jkb944t
This is what I am using.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
JP3
Click to view attachment

Here is mine.
mepstein
Zach’s
76-914
Your vision is fine; just a different transmission than you. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
type47fan
4 speed for aborted V8 conversion

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
polish my ….
Click to view attachment
Rob-O
QUOTE(914dave @ Mar 13 2019, 08:57 AM) *

Depends on what mood I’m in

Click to view attachment

I should’ve got in on that group buy back in the day. These look better and better every time I see them.
mepstein
Yep. No regrets buying 3 when Zach offered them up.
VaccaRabite
I've had several in my car over the years, and change them out as the mood hits.

This was the first on of my 917 tribute knobs that I made. I don't use it any more, it sits on a shelf to remind me how far they have come over the years (I've made a couple hundred of them now...) This first one was literally made on a drill press using wood rasps before I bought and learned how to use my lathe.
IPB Image

I made this mushroom cloud and had it on the car for a long time, and switch it in sometimes.
IPB Image

I had a non-payment issue with the last run I made, so I stuck it on my car instead of getting mad. It happens some times. It was one of these, but I have no idea which one it was. (there is some camera distortion in the corner for some reason... They are all quite round. Lol)
IPB Image

I've made a bunch of other styles over the years that got tested on my car for fitment before I shipped them out. All of my stick shift cars have some custom knobs. Here are a few of my favorites...

I loved this one and would still be using it, but the material cracked in the sun. :-( This has been an issue with every type of resin pressed plywood/epoxy plywoods I've tried.

IPB Image

This was made from some spaulted pecan from a storm damaged tree in my back yard. Someone at meet liked it enough they talked me into selling it to them tight off my shifter stalk. I keep a spare knob in my glove box, as I've inadvertently sold a couple knobs this way and shifting without a knob kinda blows.
IPB Image

I wish I was better about photographing and archiving pics of my work. There have been some cool one offs that I wish I could look back on for inspiration.

Zach
Literati914
I've been really considering this vintage Ferrari style shift knob 'cause it has the correct dog leg pattern and its looks chunky. Just wish I could find it in white to match my white headlight surrounds and other white details.
https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Shift-Gloss-...eway&sr=8-1
sixnotfour
smile.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 14 2019, 12:42 PM) *

I've been really considering this vintage Ferrari style shift knob 'cause it has the correct dog leg pattern and its looks chunky. Just wish I could find it in white to match my white headlight surrounds and other white details.
https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Shift-Gloss-...eway&sr=8-1

Actually I just checked the following link (again since several months) and they now offer a 5 speed dog leg TEARDROP knob... (5RUL model). And in various colors too. aktion035.gif

https://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=co...0&Itemid=94
Maltese Falcon
SQS
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
This one (Wevo) has been my fave and in-use about 4-5 years. I also have at least one OE, a Momo aluminum 'ball', and a billet aluminum OE-style.

IPB Image

BKLA
Polished Rennshift knob...

Click to view attachment
Marv's3.6six
Wevo Knob and Wevo shifter. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
preach
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
I think someone said this was an Ammco shift knob?

Click to view attachment
peteyd
I just finished machining my custom spectra plywood shift knob. It’s not perfect with a groove I accidentally cut into it, but I’m pretty pleased otherwise. I will make sure not to make this mistake on my second one.

pete

Click to view attachment
jdamiano
No picture but I wanted to say it’s possible to pop a unreadably shattered looking pattern button out of a Bakelite knob and replace it with one pulled out of a Dansk plastic knob. If you decide to do it know it could go wrong and any of the parts can get ruined during the process. I got lucky and nothing broke. Just used a knife and carefully pried.
sixnotfour
recycled skate boards..

https://builtbybasil.com/shop/
ConeDodger
I’ve had a number of different shift knobs on my car. The original, which is perfect, a 914rubber replica, a couple different MOMO knobs in black and yellow, but when I saw Zach’s 917 knob I knew I had found the shift knob love of my life. I’d buy a couple more if he still made them. Just to make sure if it ever broke...
rfinegan
Here is a pic of my Momo in my 75...before the Renn Shift
Rand
My knob is perfecly polished daily more than once.
Rand
I appreciate Zachs.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 1 2019, 01:40 PM) *

I’ve had a number of different shift knobs on my car. The original, which is perfect, a 914rubber replica, a couple different MOMO knobs in black and yellow, but when I saw Zach’s 917 knob I knew I had found the shift knob love of my life. I’d buy a couple more if he still made them. Just to make sure if it ever broke...

I bought 3. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 1 2019, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 1 2019, 01:40 PM) *

I bought 3. biggrin.gif

Smart Mark! happy11.gif
wes
Nothing all that special made from aluminum and feels like a perfect firm fit for my hand.Click to view attachment
nein14
Custom over sized 10 years old on a Momo base

Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
I guess the saying "Whatever floats your boat" applies here, but I just think a 914 should have an original style 914 shift knob as Fritz screwed on at the factory.

Ansbacher
Andyrew
IPB Image

Made it myself. Probably the nicest thing I've done in the car dry.gif
bandjoey
German Style
raynekat
From a guy down South.....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 1 2019, 07:47 PM) *

That's super cool.
Luke M
Purchased it on ebay but can't recall from who.
I have to modify a bolt so it fits my Rennshifter handle then I can install this shift knob.

driving.gif
Literati914
I ended up picking up this new matt black Dansk knob a few weeks back for $30 shipped - seemed like a good deal. I like the original vibe but TBH the matt surface is not ideal.. think I could polish it some how? idea.gif

IPB Image
StratPlayer
Momo leather
raynekat
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 7 2019, 09:10 PM) *

I ended up picking up this new matt black Dansk knob a few weeks back for $30 shipped - seemed like a good deal. I like the original vibe but TBH the matt surface is not ideal.. think I could polish it some how? idea.gif

IPB Image

I've got one of these matt black knobs in my 911 and it's ideal.
So don't jump too quickly to try and shine it up.
Install it, live with it a little while and I think you decide it's great as is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.