Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: K & N After Market/Ignitor Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vinson
Is anyone out there using the after market K & N air filter offered by Automobile Atlanta for there 1975 2.0 fuel injection? I am wondering if this system works good and what the pros and cons might be. I am also interested in knowing if anyone is using the ignitor electronic conversion kit for the same engine? I saw a really interesting article in Excellence about converting to a modern ignition system. I am wondering if these really work on a stock engine and fuel injection or should i expect to have to modify more? I appreciate all your help. Thanks everyone.
Aaron Cox
ill move this to the garage for more exposure.

its not really an ad for something from a vendor.
thx

AA
Mueller
for the ignition, getting rid of the points can be a good thing, some people still keep a set of points in thier glove box in case the electronic ignition dies, which has been known to happen once in a while (mostly from leaving ignition on/car off)

no need to worry about checking dwell, just throw in the new parts, and time it correctly and drive away....

as for the K&N airfilter, I've never seen documented proof it helps on a 914, the car will be louder for sure....i believe someone did a dyno run with and without the stock aircleaner..... 1/2 to 1 hp increase at WOT without cleaner

I view this aircleaner as one of those items to purchase if you really want it once all other known modifications/improvements have been done....

SLITS
All of it has been discussed many times. If you are looking for a performance gain from the air filter forget it. Useful on a race engine, but not on a street car.

The ignitor system will do more for you in optimizing your ignition system. It eliminates the dwell varation and significanlty improves spark stability. That said I prefer the optical Crane\Allison electonic ignition (twice the price though).

Ok, those are my opinions.......................next............

Rand
Stupid off the wall question to satisfy my curiosity:

Why are some vacuum taps at the end of an airbox and others down on the throttle body? Different level of vacuum? Although it seems it should be the same, unless the air accelerates and is moving faster down there?

I thought about putting something like this together... not necessarily expecting a performance increase, but I like the cleaner setup. My car is desmogged and I don't need all of the vacuum taps. I was thinking it would be easiest to put all the taps in the end cover and leave the intake tube smooth... but if the location is important I don't want to experiment.
Cap'n Krusty
Get a Crane Allison or Compufire ignition unit. Reliable, and the Crane comes with a CDI box that improves spark quality. The K&N, as I always say when this comes up, is a piece of junk, heavily promoted by sales people who stand to make a big profit, and bought by people easily swayed by advertising. It has FAR less filter area then the stock paper filter, the pores are larger (allowing more and larger particles to pass), requires regular cleaning and oiling, and makes a lot more noise (which everyone knows means the car is faster).
The vacuum taps in the throttle body and the intake manifold are there for a reason. The advance tap draws vacuum when the throttle is open, the retard tap draws vacuum when the throttle is closed, and the ones on the plenum are for the MPS, decel valve, the PCV system, and other users in need of vacuum to adapt themselves to engine conditions. The taps on the air filter are there because they need to input to the aircleaner before the throttle but after the filter. They are NOT vacuum users. Fuel tank evap venting, breather, AAR. The Cap'n
Rand
Thanks Cap'n! The light came on.
mattillac
make your own out of pvc pipe from your local hardware store and an ebay k & n and some brass fittings. really easy. and it makes a cool woosh sound ohmy.gif

whoooooosh! driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Mark this on your Calendar. The capy and I agree on sumpin.. K&N suck. I don't see much choice running carbs. But one of the AX events is VERY dusty. I am always blowing out idle jets. I need some of them Overwears from CB Performance.
Rouser
I am wondering if this system works good and what the pros and cons might be.

No known HP gain whatsoever. PROS: Pure eye candy. CONS: Expensive eye candy; money better spent elsewhere.
I am wondering if these really work on a stock engine and fuel injection ...

Pertronix Ignitor? Best reasonably-priced ignition upgrade you can install on your engine. That, plus a good coil and wires are what you intelligently $pend your Dead Presidents on.
9xauto
Not for nothing. We AX and DE our 914 every week and use K&N filter stock on it. We found it cuts 3 sec in comparison to the air box which gets very hot. That large hot air box, heats up the air inside resulting in the power lose. Having such a large air box with the throttle body plate the size of the silver dollar, does not make any sense. The filter sells way to cheap to have any noticeable financial gain for the dealer. As far as going to the hardware store and building one yourself, go ahead. The elbow is a part of the complex pipe system, and not sold separately in the stores. We special-order this elbow from the drain-pipe manufacturer. What ever you will find in the store will look strikingly similar, but will not clear the rain tray.

As far as Crain Cams fireball 700 or 3000 point replacement. We are bitter disapointed with this box's performance for the racing purposes. It makes the car run too smooth. No aggressive pick up. The chip inside the box plays with timing. Between vacuum advance and the chip it makes performance driving impossible. Pertronix on the other hand does the job "Right". Just need to install hotter coil, turn your altimeter on the DME 3 clicks forward to enrich the mixture..and you will be "cooking".
driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.