Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bar bushing lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Trying to figure out what to use to lubricate rubber sway bar bushing. The factory manual says to use "glycerine paste" but that appears to be an extinct dinosaur. I'm assuming Red Rubber Grease would be the modern choice but I would have to order it. Then my FLAPS has several brake part greases that are "safe for rubber." I already have a bottle of Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant (pic below) for reassembling my calipers. Should be rubber safe but not sure it is right for the job. I'm just a bit confused by all the choices. Suggestions? confused24.gif

IPB Image
rhodyguy
I wonder if glycerin SULFATE paste would substitute?
preach
I work on stuff, we use various things to lube up parts. One we use is "Surgical" Gel...basically KY Jelly.
bbrock
Thanks guys. Where would one find glycerine sulfate paste? Google isn't being my friend.

The problem I see with surgical gel is that it is water based so I think it would dry up and/or wash out. I think the idea is to provide a little permanent lubricant to allow the bar to move a little inside the bushing.
rstover
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 12 2019, 06:48 PM) *

Thanks guys. Where would one find glycerine sulfate paste? Google isn't being my friend.

The problem I see with surgical gel is that it is water based so I think it would dry up and/or wash out. I think the idea is to provide a little permanent lubricant to allow the bar to move a little inside the bushing.

Maybe research Red Rubber Grease. Old school
lierofox
My go-to for lubricating rubber parts has always been 3M silicone paste.

This may have actually been the brake parts lubricant the FLAPS was referring to since I also use it for single piston caliper slide pins.
bbrock
QUOTE(rstover @ Mar 12 2019, 09:00 PM) *

Maybe research Red Rubber Grease. Old school

Yep, Red Rubber Grease would work perfectly. Only problem is that I would have to order it. I'm mainly wondering if any of the several products by CRC, Permatex, 3M and others labeled for brake pistons, seals, and pins that are found at the local FLAPS are an equivalent substitute for good old Red Rubber Grease.

QUOTE(lierofox @ Mar 12 2019, 09:57 PM) *

My go-to for lubricating rubber parts has always been 3M silicone paste.

This may have actually been the brake parts lubricant the FLAPS was referring to since I also use it for single piston caliper slide pins.

Hmmm idea.gif Perfect! I have a tube of Permatex Tune-up/Dielectric Grease which is similar and the TDS says it is an excellent lubricant on rubber, plastic, and ceramic parts. I think we have a winner and it was in my tool chest all along. thumb3d.gif
Chi-town
Almost any non petroleum based grease will work.

You have to be careful with auto parts store silicone greases because most of them have petroleum based additives that can cause rubber to swell and degrade.

Honda sells a pure silicone grease if you have trouble finding one
rhodyguy
White lithium grease?
preach
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 12 2019, 08:48 PM) *

Ah, I thought you just wanted to lube for install.
rhodyguy
Pretty harsh environment for a water soluble product like plain glycerin.
bbrock
QUOTE(preach @ Mar 13 2019, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 12 2019, 08:48 PM) *

Ah, I thought you just wanted to lube for install.

I thought that was probably the case.biggrin.gif I have a big bottle of glycerine for making rubber slippery for install.

I wound up using the dielectric grease I have on hand. It is pure silicone grease and shouldn't wash off. I've seen people on other forums argue that you shouldn't lube these bushings but the factory said to lube them, so I'm going with what the factory says. smile.gif
76-914
I'm beginning to think you might store your tools in alphabetical order. happy11.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 13 2019, 02:33 PM) *

I'm beginning to think you might store your tools in alphabetical order. happy11.gif

lol-2.gif You'd actually be amazed at what a disorganized train wreck I am. OCD and disorganized - not a great combination screwy.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 13 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I have a big bottle of glycerine for making rubber slippery for install.

uhhh......shouldn't this be in the Sandbox?
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 13 2019, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 13 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I have a big bottle of glycerine for making rubber slippery for install.

uhhh......shouldn't this be in the Sandbox?

lol-2.gif and that was AFTER I edited it to make it more PG13.
johnhora
Try this....

Napa 7651346 Sil Glyde

I've used it for lots of applications including on rubber parts...no problems
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.