Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Braile Battery which model?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
My Optima Redtop is finished. A new one is $235 and 31lbs. How about a Braile? Which model should I get? Any easy clean mount set-ups? Stock 2.0L car.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/brand....0190312221630:s
Chris H.
I'm in exactly the same boat! Can't wait to hear the responses. Another option that seems popular is the Odyssey battery. I don't own one but I think a lot of people have converted over...

One example:

Odyssey Battery
Tom_T
IIRC both Optima & Odessy are now owned by the same Chinese AGM battery maker, & their warranties dropped from 4-7 years - to only 24 months on all types/models.

Another option are the dry cell racing batteries sold by Summit Racing etc., & IIRC Odessy also makes some of those too. Some of the racer types on here have used them, so hopefully they'll weigh in on dry cell types as well.

The dry cells are lighter than the Braille AGM I would expect, & a smaller footprint & overall size too.

I'll need to do something battery-wise too when my resto is done.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
steuspeed
Oh yeah, Odyssey Dry Cell.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=...0cell%20battery
thelogo
I know this is not popular here
But you dont really need a dry cel unless
Your gonna park the car for 10 years or something.

Imho flag.gif
Big Len
Optima's parent company is Johnson Controls.
ConeDodger
Braille battery don’t like sitting without a very low trickle charge at all times when they aren’t being used.
steuspeed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 12 2019, 08:49 PM) *

Braille battery don’t like sitting without a very low trickle charge at all times when they aren’t being used.

I have a trickle charger on my Optima Redtop and it barely starts. The battery is done.
sixnotfour
+1 odyssy 925 ...
Cairo94507
I can't believe I am posting this but it appears I am going to need a battery soon too. I have no idea what to get but I know I want it to never leak acid.

I plan to drive my Six around town when I am home. I will also have a trickle charger for it when it is parked. I do not want to buy a Chinese battery. I have always had good luck with the Die Hard batteries in the past, but have no idea where they are made or if they even exist any longer since Sears is disappearing.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 13 2019, 08:30 AM) *

I can't believe I am posting this but it appears I am going to need a battery soon too. I have no idea what to get but I know I want it to never leak acid.

I plan to drive my Six around town when I am home. I will also have a trickle charger for it when it is parked. I do not want to buy a Chinese battery. I have always had good luck with the Die Hard batteries in the past, but have no idea where they are made or if they even exist any longer since Sears is disappearing.

AGM battery. There are only a couple manufacturers of batteries. So most brands are just relabeled. Your build crew probably has a favorite.
The $25 battery tender Jr works great to keep our cars topped off.
howlndog
I was told that Braille and Deka batteries were the same thing... except the Deka was much less expensive. Both are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing. FWIW, I've been using a Deka EXT-15L in my 911 for several years without a problem.
thelogo
I have always had good luck with the Die Hard batteries in the past,

agree.gif

Last 2 i got at kmart .

But since sears is gone not sure if that means
Die hard is gone too pray.gif
914Sixer
Bosch is making batteries for the 914. Saw them for around $125.
yeahmag
Anyone try any of the $100 Lithium batteries yet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VM7O6NC/?colii...lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Tom_T
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 13 2019, 11:13 AM) *

Anyone try any of the $100 Lithium batteries yet?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VM7O6NC/?colii...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lithium would be the next gen to look at for sure.

FYI for those ready to buy something - Summit sent out an email today for $20 - $100 off with code" ALWAYS + Free Shipping over $99 - it's here in my search for Dry Cell Batteries - but you can re-run the search for AGM or Lithium.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=...0Cell%20Battery

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rand
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 12 2019, 06:33 PM) *

I know this is not popular here
But you dont really need a dry cel unless
Your gonna park the car for 10 years or something.

Imho flag.gif

What? You need one the MOST when it's being driven and exposed to weather. If you are going to park it for ten years, remove the battery.
Rand
Unsealed lead acid batteries are dead, heavy, corrosive pigs. Lithium is the future. AGM is a nice bridge.
porschetub
Using Chinese Vision AGM really small and light(9lbs) ,still going after 3+yrs,payed mates rates for it but they retail for under $100 in my country.
Only downside is the terminal ends need to be small ,the posts on my battery take a 6mm bolt.
IMO its time to move on from huge heavy lead acid batterys ,besides the size and weight benefits the very low discharge rate with AGMs is a real bonus for a car not used much.
Zip over to Pelican and read guru Jack Olsen's thread on small AGM's ,he is running a cheap golf cart one in his high performance 911 for years to good result.
My battery supplier says the Odyssey and Optima batteries aren't what they used to be,he no longer carries them for that reason and the cost here is too high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.