Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two holes in 73 engine bay....AC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Rooster
My 73 2.0 has the engine / tranny out for rebuild and I noticed two holes in the engine bay. The car originally came with AC but I've decided not to include it in the rebuild.

Are these two holes in the bay for the AC hoses? If so, should I have them welded or just covered with large rubber grommets? I imagine there are two more in the firewall that will also need attention.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Click to view attachment
jdamiano
Funny I’m working on my ac hoses tonight and they absolutely go through those holes. Your call how you want to cover them.
Sea Rooster
Thanks for the info JD...

Not a big fan of the dealer installed units (they look out of place in the interior) but would like to keep the option of adding a decent AC later on. I think I'll plug the holes with large grommets for now instead of welding them.

JC

maf914
Those may be for AC hoses, but usually the engine shelf has a big rectangular section cut out on the forward passenger side to clear the old monstrous York compressor. I don't see that cut-out in the photo. idea.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 13 2019, 09:14 AM) *

Those may be for AC hoses, but usually the engine shelf has a big rectangular section cut out on the forward passenger side to clear the old monstrous York compressor. I don't see that cut-out in the photo. idea.gif

I think that cutout is on the engine tin. Mine was.

I agree that the hoses go through those holes.
rhodyguy
AC removal left a large chunk of the shelve missing on my car. Hose holes everywhere.
jdamiano
Mine has a chunk cut out of shelf as well for the compressor. They also took the battery mount out and made it removable.
Highland
That's where my AC holes are.

Had trouble finding panel plugs that would fit and ended up using these to plug up all the large AC hose holes.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9600k521

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly AC hose holes

QUOTE(Sea Rooster @ Mar 12 2019, 04:35 PM) *

My 73 2.0 has the engine / tranny out for rebuild and I noticed two holes in the engine bay. The car originally came with AC but I've decided not to include it in the rebuild.

Are these two holes in the bay for the AC hoses? If so, should I have them welded or just covered with large rubber grommets? I imagine there are two more in the firewall that will also need attention.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.