Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUCHS RIMS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
young55961
I need some education what to look for on purchasing FUCHS RIMS.

I saw some with black , some with white. Does that suppose to match the car body?

I saw some cap are plain some with logo on it. Which is original ?

Anything I should watch out for?

What is the reasonable price ?

Tks.
Billy
ndfrigi
Hello, are you referring to 2.0 fuch wheels or 5 lug fuch wheels?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Get a Fuchsing Education Time....... popcorn[1].gif
1. focus on specifics ... its a big Fuching subject headbang.gif lottsa pun intended

young55961
I need 4 lugs.

Do you think this is good deal ?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/d...6837671457.html

mepstein
QUOTE(young55961 @ Mar 13 2019, 01:50 PM) *

I need 4 lugs.

Do you think this is good deal ?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/d...6837671457.html

Yes. It cost that much to refinish a set and those look to be in top condition. $150/each is good for decent condition but $250/wheel is good if they are really nice.

*remember, you must use the proper lug bolts.

Edit - I took a closer look and the pedals look polished and the reliefs look painted, not anodized. If that’s the case, the wheels are a bit high. If you like them, try to get them for $1k.
sixnotfour
Factory center caps polished stainless.... emblems are usually sticker on
rhodyguy
Good deal? Not really. "Almost" being the key word. The white paint would have to come off and any curbing delt with. You need to be sure they are 'straight and true'. I think you could source a better set with a want to buy here. Esp for that kind of money. Don't forget the longer lug bolts. The short ones won't get the job done.
bbrock
The white paint is not well done and looks like ass, even if you like the painted insets barf.gif Worst is the giant chunk out of one of the rims. That's going to require welding. I can't post the image for some reason, but it is image 12.

rhodyguy
The set of 2 in the classifieds are more reasonable.

Now another set of 3 have been added. Make a deal for the best 4.
sixnotfour
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2012761

2.0L Fuchs 914 Price: see ad
I have (shipped prices):

(5) 2/'74 (4) nice, one a little less nice (the spare) $1,550 & includes a nice original center cap.

(4) 10/'73 one has a little rock ding (shown) $1,200

(5) 1/'73 two have a little rash, need weld repair (shown) $1,250

Top row = 2/'74
Middle row = 10/'73
Bottom row = 1/'73
sixnotfour
repo caps 914rubber.com

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/9...1-05-wheels-914
burton73
Billy,

Any painted black Fuchs 4 lug is almost for sure not real ones.

I want to point out to you that real is going to go up in value over the years and copies are cast not forged and I was just told that cast aluminum cannot be anodized innless it is a special material.

Factory look is best IMHO

It makes you feel good knowing that your Fuchs are real not fakes. Like a girlfriend! Natural nice ones are best.

Real Fuchs are Stronger as well.

Bob B

welcome.png
burton73
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 13 2019, 09:29 AM) *

Get a Fuchsing Education Time....... popcorn[1].gif
1. focus on specifics ... its a big Fuching subject headbang.gif lottsa pun intended

That is a PUN son!!

Bob B
steuspeed
Polished petals and rim is factory. The background should be dull aluminum with some imperfections. They came that way. Factory caps in nice condition are hard to find. Most are dented and dinged. Also, most wheels have screwdriver marks on the wheel centers from idiots that didn't pop them off from the back side. I replaced mine with the machine aluminum ones from 914rubber and I prefer them over OEM. They also have a wider flange that covers most of the screwdriver marks that were on my wheels. The factory wheels are very strong and light 12lbs. You wont find anything in the after market close to that spec. One reason why people want these wheels. Expect to pay 600-800 for driver quality. 1000-1200 for super nice. Unless you want painted, raw finish is the way to go imo. I think the going rate to have them re-finished is about $250 per wheel. The clear anodize must be removed which adds to the cost.
914_7T3
Here are photos of a recently restored set. Approx. $200 per wheel in SoCal

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 13 2019, 12:53 PM) *

That's not really the best way to identify them, though, as a lot of the real ones were painted by the original selling dealers. It's an obvious enough idea and provides a visible link to the "big brother" five-lug wheels, after all.

A better indicator is to look at the "windows" through the wheel. The real ones have a softer contour, very slightly rounded at the corners. The cast repros have a more sharp edge and pretty sharp corners. Add that to the painted recess, and you definitely have repros.

The third pic in ndfrigi's post shows repro wheels.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 13 2019, 11:06 PM) *

That's not really the best way to identify them, though, as a lot of the real ones were painted by the original selling dealers. It's an obvious enough idea and provides a visible link to the "big brother" five-lug wheels, after all.

A better indicator is to look at the "windows" through the wheel. The real ones have a softer contour, very slightly rounded at the corners. The cast repros have a more sharp edge and pretty sharp corners. Add that to the painted recess, and you definitely have repros.

--DD

Harvey told me they used to paint them at the dealership because it helped them sell.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2019, 09:09 PM) *

--DD

Harvey told me they used to paint them at the dealership because it helped them sell.

supposed to look more Porsche like.....wrong..they all did it ..In retro spect ....porsche had it right ..but pier pressure to Jon Q public made em wanna bees
burton73
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 13 2019, 08:34 PM) *

--DD

supposed to look more Porsche like.....wrong..they all did it ..In retro spect ....porsche had it right ..but pier pressure to Jon Q public made em wanna bees

I guess I am wrong but they look like shit to me.

Bob B wacko.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 14 2019, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 13 2019, 08:34 PM) *

--DD

I guess I am wrong but they look like shit to me.

Bob B wacko.gif

But think of all the 80’s mods that look like crap now. And every Porsche was painted red. headbang.gif
Freezin 914
Ha! Yeeees! It seems they are all painted red!!!! Geeez! I have two that are red, but originally were not!
rhodyguy
The ones recently listed at 1k shipped looks to be a sweet deal. They should move quickly.
larryM
wheels are all about how yo want to "look" at Starbucks or to attract the chics ?

you don't seem to be concerned about winning the Porsche Parade Concours

pay the price necessary for the "look" you want, and get on with it............

QUOTE(young55961 @ Mar 13 2019, 09:08 AM) *

I need some education what to look for on purchasing FUCHS RIMS.
Billy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.