Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2019 - Sept 12-15 in Banner Elk, NC - REGISTRATION CLOSED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
rfinegan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 8 2019, 06:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2019, 04:26 PM) *

Also the Good Dr. Evil will be hosting a Tech session to explain how to rebuild the 901 transmission in under 1-hour and for zero dollars!

Well not really, but he will be making a presentation and having a transmission Q&A session right before the Awards dinner.

Click to view attachment

What do people want covered? It looks like I have an hour to kill? Can bring pics, some parts and displays, answer questions on failure points, why/where, theory of operation, etc. If I get some feed back from yall, I can better plan/pack/use time.

For me:
Sycing to go into first gear
At Stop: Do I put in Neutral or Sync to first Gear and hold clutch?
Pop out of first gear: Some time hard to get into First gear or part into First gear. Other time no problem

Thanks

_Robert
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 8 2019, 06:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2019, 04:26 PM) *

Also the Good Dr. Evil will be hosting a Tech session to explain how to rebuild the 901 transmission in under 1-hour and for zero dollars!

Well not really, but he will be making a presentation and having a transmission Q&A session right before the Awards dinner.

Click to view attachment

What do people want covered? It looks like I have an hour to kill? Can bring pics, some parts and displays, answer questions on failure points, why/where, theory of operation, etc. If I get some feed back from yall, I can better plan/pack/use time.

For me during the build clinic I gained a lot of information when you reviewed the things that typically fail and those that don't so that would be useful. Also the cost of some of the bearings are very high so it is good to know which ones you are likely to have to replace.

Explain stock gearing, modifications that can be made, and in what application does it make sense. Everyone I know seems to think the 914 needs a taller 5th gear so the engine will only be at 2,000 RPM while cruising on the highway which is a bad idea.

Address what HP a stock 901 can handle and improvements that can be made to deal with higher HP.

Bring a stack for people to see and look at gears.

Address pros/cons of LSD and what options are available.

Side shift vs tail shift and converting tail to side.

Resolve the controversy of dino oil vs synthetic.
Dr Evil
"Resolve the controversy of dino oil vs synthetic."

Oh sure, while Im at it I will negotiate a peace treaty in the middle east and join the two political parties here at home lol-2.gif Ill do my best smile.gif

Good stuff. I have a cut away case I can bring and let people touch all over. As for diagnostics, I can go over how things function and that naturally leads into how they dysfunction. Also, people are welcome to hit me up for advice and BS about trans stuff while Im walking around.

Mainly, depends on how big a room, how many people, seated or standing, etc. We will try for video and I cam put video up on a screen or something if a big room. Hell, I have a 120" screen and projector of my own if need be. Just dont have camera.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 8 2019, 12:09 PM) *

"Resolve the controversy of dino oil vs synthetic."

Oh sure, while Im at it I will negotiate a peace treaty in the middle east and join the two political parties here at home lol-2.gif Ill do my best smile.gif

Good stuff. I have a cut away case I can bring and let people touch all over. As for diagnostics, I can go over how things function and that naturally leads into how they dysfunction. Also, people are welcome to hit me up for advice and BS about trans stuff while Im walking around.

Mainly, depends on how big a room, how many people, seated or standing, etc. We will try for video and I cam put video up on a screen or something if a big room. Hell, I have a 120" screen and projector of my own if need be. Just dont have camera.

We will have a big room. I would think that given the time, the majority of people woll be there for you presentation. We are at 135!
914dave
30 DAYS!!!!!

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Got check in the mail today.
seanpaulmc
Looking at going to Okteenerfest again this year. Went last year and had a great time and gained a lot of inspiration.

Wife cannot attend with me. Host hotel is filled. Wondering if anyone may be looking to split a room and defray some of the lodging costs? Anyone need a roommate?

This is a very generous community as I've learned by reading these posts. However, sharing a room with an unknown is a bit Weird so I do understand.

Thanks for considering.

Sean
poorsche914
Quick numbers update:

147 attendees
77 914s!!!

Numbers have increased every year and, since the first event in 2013, this event has TRIPLED in size! w00t.gif
This year we welcome 40+ newcomers to Okteenerfest. cheer.gif

driving.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2019, 08:30 AM) *

Well as you might have guessed the good Dr. Evil is going to provide free labor on a trans build.

Click to view attachment

Mine has been flawless after the rebuild!

I took full advantage of the good Doc back in 2015, i do believe. He straightened out my tranz. Thanks for the coupon, sorry for the trouble..... But FYI the tranz has over 40K miles on it since you cracked it open.

Good luck to the winner of this great gift.
trojanhorsepower
Registered!
Unfortunately unless there is a 914 miracle, I will not have my car there.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 14 2019, 01:25 PM) *

Registered!
Unfortunately unless there is a 914 miracle, I will not have my car there.

Let me know what miracle you need. I have had a couple recently so it doesn’t hurt to ask.
malcolm2
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 13 2019, 05:35 PM) *

Looking at going to Okteenerfest again this year. Went last year and had a great time and gained a lot of inspiration.

Wife cannot attend with me. Host hotel is filled. Wondering if anyone may be looking to split a room and defray some of the lodging costs? Anyone need a roommate?

This is a very generous community as I've learned by reading these posts. However, sharing a room with an unknown is a bit Weird so I do understand.

Thanks for considering.

Sean

If you get no takers, try the smoketree motel. I was late to reserve and found them. Did you put your name on the BW waiting list? They called me yesterday and i passed. It is smoke tree for me.
Maltese Falcon
Msds, inc. wishing all of you a Great Okteenerfest ! and shipping out a T4 2L high flow cone air filter kit for one of your Raffle prizes.Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
any plans for swap meet or room for that?
also if help available i would love to get my Tarret front control arm drop links installed, do you want to do this again?

Mblizzard
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 16 2019, 05:42 AM) *

also if help available i would love to get my Tarret front control arm drop links installed, do you want to do this again?

You should sigh up for the sway bar install.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2019, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 16 2019, 05:42 AM) *

You should sigh up for the sway bar install.

Perfect- I will bring them with and will sign up.
Unfortunately I recently went from being a “do everything myself” to “not allowed to do anything “ headbang.gif
seanpaulmc
Getting on the waiting list worked. Got booked at the host hotel this weekend.

Bob, check is in the mail for the Okteenerfest registration.

Looking forward to another fantastic event!

-Sean

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 14 2019, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Aug 13 2019, 05:35 PM) *

Thanks for considering.

Sean

If you get no takers, try the smoketree motel. I was late to reserve and found them. Did you put your name on the BW waiting list? They called me yesterday and i passed. It is smoke tree for me.

Dr Evil
Oh ya, wife and I are booked at the main hotel as well. smile.gif
Mblizzard
The guys at 914 Rubber have been busy but just confirmed they are providing a lucky winner one of their prized rebuilt Steering Racks!!

Also in Tech Session #4 Mark will be showing everyone how to properly install the front trunk seals and what adhesives to use. Someone signs up for the Tech Session will get these and other things installed on their car!

914 Rubber will be giving all attendees a $25 gift certificate!

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 20 2019, 11:32 AM) *

914 Rubber will be giving all attendees a $25 gift certificate!

One of the awesome reasons to attend. You always come away with more than $75 worth.

Thanks.
914dave
Three weeks people!!!
poorsche914
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 22 2019, 12:40 PM) *
Three weeks people!!!

And, even with a few people having to cancel, we are officially at 150 attendees cheer.gif

driving.gif
Betty
I am SO freaking psyched!!!
cheer.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Betty @ Aug 23 2019, 11:03 PM) *

I am SO freaking psyched!!!
cheer.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif

Ditto! 2 weeks ago I was on my back in bed not sure if I would be going anywhere anytime soon, but I WILL be seeing you all in 3 weeks!!
poorsche914
Registration for Okteenerfest 2019 is now officially closed. Including a last minute registration (a new 914 owner from Georgia), there are 154 people signed up to attend.

This event has grown from 40+ people and just over 2 dozen 914s in 2013 to this year's record setting 154 attendees. And, though 15 914s will be left at home, 79 will attempt to make it to Okteenerfest... 22 being trailered and 57 being driven to the event! piratenanner.gif

The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy for many of us as we make the mad dash to prep our 914s for this special weekend. See you all in September!

driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
Showing off our '18 Tees...great stuff !!
Thank you Mike Blizzard ¡¡
Click to view attachment
preach
If the Powers That Be wanted to sell extra shirts at the end of the fest that said:

I suck. I failed to attend:

over the Okteenerfest logo on the front I would buy one in XL.

One of these days...
BENBRO02
I just checked and it's 401 miles from my house to Banner Elk with a stop in Gastonia to pickup my friend. Wish me luck! driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 24 2019, 06:49 PM) *

I just checked and it's 401 miles from my house to Banner Elk with a stop in Gastonia to pickup my friend. Wish me luck! driving.gif

Piker...... poke.gif

14 h 55 min (1,012 miles). One on the trailer, and one being driven. The only reason I am trailering is this is a new build engine, and I still have not started it.

Got the shifter hooked up and working..... driving.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2019, 05:34 PM) *

Piker...... poke.gif

14 h 55 min (1,012 miles). One on the trailer, and one being driven. The only reason I am trailering is this is a new build engine, and I still have not started it.

So Clay, will you be ready to just start it so we can go Oohh and Aahhh and make us all want such POWER? hissyfit.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 24 2019, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2019, 05:34 PM) *

Piker...... poke.gif

So Clay, will you be ready to just start it so we can go Oohh and Aahhh and make us all want such POWER? hissyfit.gif

Yes.. it will be running at Okteenerfest. Lots of things won't be perfect, but it will be there.

I was thinking about bringing some ramps to put the back end up in the air so everyone can see underneath.
914forme
You taking the mirror out of the hotel also confused24.gif

Can't wait to see everyone and all the cars in various 914 states. Stock to wildly modified, always great fun.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 24 2019, 09:34 PM) *

Piker...... poke.gif

I had to look "piker" up. I'll buy you a beer if we both make it.
914dave
17 days and this is the state of the engine. I guess I have my work cut out for me.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
Why was it out? I hope you can make it again this year, what a beautiful build!!!
mepstein
I'm guessing he couldn't live with the plane jane intake manifolds. biggrin.gif
Betty
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 26 2019, 08:42 AM) *

17 days and this is the state of the engine. I guess I have my work cut out for me.

Click to view attachment

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif driving.gif
914dave
[quo beer3.gif te name='DRPHIL914' date='Aug 26 2019, 07:47 PM' post='2741843']
Why was it out? I hope you can make it again this year, what a beautiful build!!!
[/quote]
Phil
Had to replace the intake manifolds. One of the ears on my originals broke during the original assembly. Mepstein loaned me a set while mine was being welded. Plus a few upgrades and valve adjustment while it’s out. Don’t worry. I’ll be there. Hope you’re feeling better. See you soon
Dave
naro914
NaroEscape Motorsports is offering our 914-6 Conversion Engine Mount at $100 off the normal price for Okteenerfest attendees and must be purchased at Okteenerfest. This is your chance if you have a project now or upcoming to pick up our mount at a greatly reduced price. I'll have a few with me but if you know you're going to want one, message me so I'll hold one for you.

We'll also be offering a coupon code to attendees for 10% off anything we carry.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/9...n-engine-mount/
Dr Evil
Had a customer that will be at this event ask if they can just drop their transmission off with me at the event. What a great idea! If anyone wants to save on one way shipping, feel free to drop off your gear boxes to me. I am bring a truck. Already have a bunch of cores that Garold is bringing that I bought. smile.gif
Rusty
popcorn[1].gif
914dave
2 weeks !!!!!! beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914dave @ Aug 29 2019, 08:52 AM) *

Hope your engine is further along than mine!

Click to view attachment
Jamie

And I've been watching the hurricane approach remembering last year's experience. At least this year the storm appears to be too early by a week to affect our event! Yeah!! cheer.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 29 2019, 12:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

As I have heard my mechanics say many times, "All you lack is finishin' ! "
914dave
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 29 2019, 01:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You got this Mike. You have all the hard work done. I expect a video of a running engine by Monday afternoon. Mine is together, valves adjusted waiting to go in. Making some improvements on a few other items. I should have it running by Monday.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 29 2019, 01:13 PM) *

And I've been watching the hurricane approach remembering last year's experience. At least this year the storm appears to be too early by a week to affect our event! Yeah!! cheer.gif

last 2 years actually and remember 2 years ago we even had power outages in Helen due to the tornado damage from that storm(Matthew I think) so here is praying for no storm to contend with in 2 weeks- we are moving the next 2 days and our forecast in coastal SC is 65% chance of rain and storms, headbang.gif pat.gif
ClayPerrine
We are planning lunch in Knoxville on the way in on Thursday. Anyone who is traveling through Knoxville is welcome to join us. Details are in the DFW Caravan thread.

We can get a large group headed from there to Banner Elk. biggrin.gif
Betty
I would like to propose a HUGE ceremonial box of Band-Aids be given at the Saturday awards banquet to:
"The Person With The Most Injuries To Their Body, Received As A Result Of Thrashing Their Car Until The Very Last Minute Trying To Get It To Okteenerfest 2019".

(The thoughts that come to you, standing in the pharmacy, in the aisle with all of the First Aid stuff, holding a big ol' box of Band-Aids, thinking to yourself "maybe I should get two?")

I'll even supply the box of 'Ceremonial Band-Aids' to be given away... we seem to have more than one of them. biggrin.gif
914dave
QUOTE(Betty @ Aug 31 2019, 08:25 AM) *

I would like to propose a HUGE ceremonial box of Band-Aids be given at the Saturday awards banquet to:
"The Person With The Most Injuries To Their Body, Received As A Result Of Thrashing Their Car Until The Very Last Minute Trying To Get It To Okteenerfest 2019".

(The thoughts that come to you, standing in the pharmacy, in the aisle with all of the First Aid stuff, holding a big ol' box of Band-Aids, thinking to yourself "maybe I should get two?")

I'll even supply the box of 'Ceremonial Band-Aids' to be given away... we seem to have more than one of them. biggrin.gif

This is a great idea! It makes me wonder if Clay has a head start on the rest of us?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.